• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Twelve thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Favourite Comic?

nightshade

Your grandfather is a cat
Staff member
Black Thorn
Which is your favourite comic? Not season or mini arc, but one episode kinda, comic? that one comic that if you only buy one you would choose?

I've not read many of the comics, but I want to read more.

W

WillowFromBuffy

"Future Shock," the second issue of S12. So sad...

Though Angel seems to be having some problems remembering what the actual message of his Epiphany-speech was supposed to be.

Last edited by a moderator:

Foxy

I am cookie dough!
Sineya
Well for a mini-arc it would be Willow Wonderland.

For standalone it's Season 10's Freaky Giles Friday. That was a great one in my opinion.

A great two-parter from the classic Buffy comics is Willow and Tara: Wilderness

Another great Tara and Willow single issue is Willow and Tara: WannaBlessedBe

K
katmobile
Yeah I'd vote for Freaky Giles Day

Grace

Destructo-Girl
Black Thorn
The two single issues that I really loved were The Chain, which was #5 of Season 8, and the Riley one-shot, Commitment Through Distance, Virtue Through Sin, also from Season 8. It's been awhile since I read them, but I think The Chain can probably be enjoyed as a standalone. The other one probably requires some basic knowledge of Season 8.

fauxindigo
fauxindigo
The Chain is so good! How could the story of Buffy's decoy slayer not be?! Well this was good anyway. She/we deserved a name though... even though I understand that was the point of her being the decoy Buffy.

Foxy

I am cookie dough!
Sineya
The two single issues that I really loved were The Chain, which was #5 of Season 8, and the Riley one-shot, Commitment Through Distance, Virtue Through Sin, also from Season 8. It's been awhile since I read them, but I think The Chain can probably be enjoyed as a standalone. The other one probably requires some basic knowledge of Season 8.
Oh, I love the Chain. I like that there is a reference to it in Season 9. So it's a good standalone, but it also affects the main arc in a small way.

W

WillowFromBuffy

Riley one-shot,
Huh! If someone asked me to guess Grace's favourite Buffy comic, I would not go for a Riley one-shot from S8. Maybe I should go back and give it a look. My memory of the comics is so poor.

Mrs Gordo
Mrs Gordo
The issue has great metaphors that speak to the B/A dynamic which is why I enjoy it so much.

Foxy

I am cookie dough!
Sineya
Huh! If someone asked me to guess Grace's favourite Buffy comic, I would not go for a Riley one-shot from S8. Maybe I should go back and give it a look. My memory of the comics is so poor.
I personally disliked the story, but it was a good set-up for the story. But luckily we don't all agree with one another, it would become super boring!

W

WillowFromBuffy

I personally disliked the story, but it was a good set-up for the story. But luckily we don't all agree with one another, it would become super boring!
My memory is so poor, but I remember Riley being very flat in the comics, and in S8, he is all wrapped up in the very strange season plot. If it was someone else, I would probably just scoff, but I find Grace's opinions to at least be worth considering. :p Also, the fact that she does not really like Riley on the show makes me extra curious.

Foxy
Foxy
I didn't even recognize him in S8 until Buffy said.

Grace

Destructo-Girl
Black Thorn
My memory is so poor, but I remember Riley being very flat in the comics, and in S8, he is all wrapped up in the very strange season plot. If it was someone else, I would probably just scoff, but I find Grace's opinions to at least be worth considering. :p Also, the fact that she does not really like Riley on the show makes me extra curious.
Hahaha. I like Riley a lot from Superstar to New Moon Rising (yes, that's a grand total of three episodes), and Riley in the comics seems to be that Riley, at least to me. I have a hard time remembering Season 8, too, but while he might be flat, he's also not doing a whole bunch of stuff to make me mad.

I liked the Riley/Sam relationship better in the one-shot than what we saw in As You Were, and as @Mrs Gordo mentioned, there are some effective Buffy/Angel parallels in the issue.

W
WillowFromBuffy
But there is no Bangel farm, is there?

fauxindigo

Scooby
SPOILERS

I still have to read Seasons 11 & 12, but after all these years I still really love Season 8; favorites probably Twilight Parts 3 & 4 because they feel as epic to the comics as Prophecy Girl or Becoming did to the series.

Favorite Issues/Arcs
Daddy Issues / Family Reunion / Death & Consequences (Angel & Faith S9) are my absolute favorite issues and honestly, they kind of top any of the Buffy comics to me.
Time of your Life- So much is so good in this one.
No Future for You- Faith & Gigi are kind of everything together.
Wolves at the Gate - Would qualify as an amazing, epic episode.
Retreat This has Oz(with a wife).. in Tibet... and another epic battle/field.
The Long Way Home- totally cheesy and over the top but I love it.

Fave Spinoff
Willow: Wonderland

Favorite One Shots
Willow: Goddesses and Monsters (Btvs s8)
Harmonic Divergence (Btvs S8)
Swell (Btvs S8)
Women of a Certain Age (Angel & Faith S9)

K
katmobile
I didn't like Time of Your Life but I'm not interested in the Freyverse
Top Bottom