• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Twelve thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

[Final] Buffy v Angel

Buffy v Angel

• Buffy

Votes: 27 71.1%
  • Angel

Votes: 11 28.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Carrie Hopewell

Little girl lost in the woods
Sineya
*Sighs* I know Angel will lose this one, but I'm glad the final battle is between Angel and Buffy.

Buffy and Angel are pretty equal in terms of strength (she's a bit stronger), fighting and leadership skills, determination and endurance, etc. However, they are different types of fighters and leaders.

Angel fights more with his fists and in hand to hand combat. Buffy's style is more choreographed and she improvises a bit more with whatever is at hand. I prefer watching Angel fight. He's more powerful, more persistent, always gets back up again and has taken more beatings in one season than Buffy in all of her career.

Angel can improvise as much as Buffy in battle, but Buffy relies more on last minute Deus ex machinas (like the amulet, the Scythe, her blood closing the portal, the first slayer, etc.), but Angel plans things more thoroughly while also living and planing moment to moment.

In terms of leadership: Angel trusts himself and his opinion, but values his colleagues' thoughts just as much; Buffy relies on the Scoobies following her orders and Willow figuring out what spell to perform. She relies heavily on her friends, yet doesn't care about their opinion as much as she cares about her own. She's more of a authoritarian leader, whereas Angel joins minds with his friends and needs everyone to have an important, equal part in the battle. With Angel, everyone is out there fighting alongside him, everyone contributes vital information and everyone fights for his cause. I appreciate Angel's leadership a lot more than Buffy's. It's more equal and strategic.

Take season 4 as an example, to fight the Beast/Jasmine, it was: Gunn who figured out what the data taken from Lorne's brain meant, Wesley who came up with the plan to get Angelus' back, Fred who learned about Jasmine's mind control, Angel who saved everyone and planed the escape, Wesley who figured out how to weaken Jasmine and Angel who found her name. Buffy and the Scooby Gang are never this united. At best, Xander decides to use a wrecking ball and Giles murders Ben on his own, but it's mostly Buffy who gets the credit for everything.

Angel gives others the power to help and to fight for what they believe in. In a battle, he'd give me hope and control over myself and my fate. I value that more than following Buffy's orders blindly.

I trust Angel more. I think he's stronger, and has more empathy and love for humanity.

thetopher

Member of the Church Of Faith
Sineya
I'm putting fighting ability to one side on this, since Angel is more invulnerable to sword stabbing and bullets, but Buffy is stronger and faster.

But personality-wise...I'm no good at pep-talks that Buffy occasionally needs to battle on, and Angel gives much better rallying speeches, so I'll go with ol' broody.

Monkey Pants

Bored Now
Black Thorn
Buffy. I think she generally made slightly less of a mess of things as a leader lol. And physically she's stronger and faster.

Guy

Scooby
Black Thorn
You guys are looking at this all wrong. This is the battle of the sexes, and we need to choose the sex-champion. And I think we all know who that is:

www.popsugar.com/entertainment/Spike-GIFs-From-Buffy-Vampire-Slayer-41936430

Okay, the real answer would be Faith, but she's not an option.

Meanwhile, on the other corner:

fandomgasms.tumblr.com/page/2

Sure you're not, honey.

But seriously - Buffy and Angel fought several times, and Buffy always won. Case closed.

Last Watcher

Tweed Icon
Sineya
Rats! I had Willow/Spike as the final.......so I really don't care :(

How many times did Buffy hand Angel/Angelus his ass?

Not much of a problem figuring out who to choose...... ;)

Vote Faith! (It's worth a try)

Mylie

Scooby
Yes! My 2 favorites!! :)

I'd say Buffy. She's lost less people in battle and I would trust her with my life!

I'm sorry Angel, I'd love to have you on my team as well, but I can only pick one. :(

Fuffy Baith

2017 (and 2016) Cutest BB member
Sineya
Yea I figured it would come down to these two. They're both strong fighters and leaders so I won't try to make a case for either one. Just personal preference I'd take Buffy.

white avenger

white avenger
As I've said before, I would never feel completely comfortable trusting someone who has, in my opinion, betrayed his friends on more than one occasion.I don't see Angel as being trustworthy. If he for some reason decides that the greater good would be served by hanging my a** out to dry, without even giving me the benefit of warning. Anyone who has any doubt of that needs look no further than Drogyn or any of the Slayers he killed while serving as Twilight's minion.

Buffy would have to be my choice.

Mylie

Scooby
Buffy. She's my girl :) I feel she has a higher value on human life, and she's a good friend.
I love Buffy but that's not really true in my opinion... certainly not during season 7 anyway. I think both have had moments where they were thinking about the big picture, at the detriment of human lives. Which makes sense, because it's always an interesting conflict for heroes. People tend to view Buffy as more human etc. but in my opinion season 7 has proven that isn't necessarily the case. Which is probably why it's my least favorite season for her...

She is a good friend though :)

@GraceK That is a very valid choice which I understand perfectly even though my obsession with canon makes it impossible for me to ignore it. :)

GraceK
GraceK
I like to pretend season 7 doesn't exist:)

Guy

Scooby
Black Thorn
I love Buffy but that's not really true in my opinion... certainly not during season 7 anyway. I think both have had moments where they were thinking about the big picture, at the detriment of human lives. Which makes sense, because it's always an interesting conflict for heroes. People tend to view Buffy as more human etc. but in my opinion season 7 has proven that isn't necessarily the case. Which is probably why it's my least favorite season for her...
Even in season 7, Buffy doesn't fall as low as Angel does, in terms of value for human lives. She never does anything like killing Drogyn, or letting Darla and Dru kill a room full of lawyers. The most she does is SAY that she'll do something like that... Which was mostly bluffing, IMO.

Athena

The original one-eyed chicklet
Staff member
Black Thorn
See I'm actually finding this choice quite tough, as normally I'd go Buffy no question, but Angel is a fantastic fighter and there's the immortality thing. As long as he doesn't get staked through the heart or burned by sunlight he'd be at it like the Duracell bunny....

Saying this though, if my battle is raging during the day and night.... where will Angel be at midday? Having a little sleep in a dark place? That's no good for me, so based on that I'm going back to my girl Buffy. She's strong, she heals fast, she can fight day or night. Winner winner chicken dinner. ;)

GwenRaiden

AKA Apology Girl
Black Thorn
I can't deal with Buffy and her pre-battle speeches. How many were there in season seven? 281 or something like that? I would probably freak out and tell her "you know what? Just leave it. Shut UP. Just you stay at home, you're uninvited".

So..

vs

=
Angel

Last edited:

Taake

Keeper of the Continuum Transfunctioner
Watcher
Black Thorn
I love Buffy but by the end of the show: needs her ego stroked, shows little interest in human life come season 7, and has questionable judgement
Angel: can only agree with this post
*Sighs* I know Angel will lose this one, but I'm glad the final battle is between Angel and Buffy.

Buffy and Angel are pretty equal in terms of strength (she's a bit stronger), fighting and leadership skills, determination and endurance, etc. However, they are different types of fighters and leaders.

Angel fights more with his fists and in hand to hand combat. Buffy's style is more choreographed and she improvises a bit more with whatever is at hand. I prefer watching Angel fight. He's more powerful, more persistent, always gets back up again and has taken more beatings in one season than Buffy in all of her career.

Angel can improvise as much as Buffy in battle, but Buffy relies more on last minute Deus ex machinas (like the amulet, the Scythe, her blood closing the portal, the first slayer, etc.), but Angel plans things more thoroughly while also living and planing moment to moment.

In terms of leadership: Angel trusts himself and his opinion, but values his colleagues' thoughts just as much; Buffy relies on the Scoobies following her orders and Willow figuring out what spell to perform. She relies heavily on her friends, yet doesn't care about their opinion as much as she cares about her own. She's more of a authoritarian leader, whereas Angel joins minds with his friends and needs everyone to have an important, equal part in the battle. With Angel, everyone is out there fighting alongside him, everyone contributes vital information and everyone fights for his cause. I appreciate Angel's leadership a lot more than Buffy's. It's more equal and strategic.

Take season 4 as an example, to fight the Beast/Jasmine, it was: Gunn who figured out what the data taken from Lorne's brain meant, Wesley who came up with the plan to get Angelus' back, Fred who learned about Jasmine's mind control, Angel who saved everyone and planed the escape, Wesley who figured out how to weaken Jasmine and Angel who found her name. Buffy and the Scooby Gang are never this united. At best, Xander decides to use a wrecking ball and Giles murders Ben on his own, but it's mostly Buffy who gets the credit for everything.

Angel gives others the power to help and to fight for what they believe in. In a battle, he'd give me hope and control over myself and my fate. I value that more than following Buffy's orders blindly.

I trust Angel more. I think he's stronger, and has more empathy and love for humanity.
So Angel it is for me :)

Even in season 7, Buffy doesn't fall as low as Angel does, in terms of value for human lives. She never does anything like killing Drogyn, or letting Darla and Dru kill a room full of lawyers. The most she does is SAY that she'll do something like that... Which was mostly bluffing, IMO.
But she basically shrugs her shoulders when it turns out her pet vampire turns out to be an active serial killer still with a couple of bodies in a basement, then she takes him into a house full of nummy treats trusting that she alone can keep him from killing them as well :rolleyes:

Oh gosh, just reliving the memories of this season brings her character down so much. No wonder it was down to season 1 ratings. "But it was the trigger..." someone might say, well maybe it was one of the hundred things trying to make Spike interesting/have a place on the show, but it doesn't change what Buffy did and the fact is that she didn't care one jot for those people Spike killed. At least in season 2 she seemed to care and take responsibility for those Angelus murdered

Guy

Scooby
Black Thorn
But she basically shrugs her shoulders when it turns out her pet vampire turns out to be an active serial killer still with a couple of bodies in a basement, then she takes him into a house full of nummy treats trusting that she alone can keep him from killing them as well :rolleyes:

Oh gosh, just reliving the memories of this season brings her character down so much. No wonder it was down to season 1 ratings. "But it was the trigger..." someone might say, well maybe it was one of the hundred things trying to make Spike interesting/have a place on the show, but it doesn't change what Buffy did and the fact is that she didn't care one jot for those people Spike killed. At least in season 2 she seemed to care and take responsibility for those Angelus murdered
Holy pot and kettle, Batman! Do you even remember what Angel did in his last season? How he brainwashed a guy into believing that he's a pedophile? Or how he murdered an innocent person with his bare hands? And he never showed ANY remorse for that! Buffy may have been negligent in season7, but Angel was ACTIVELY EVIL in his last season. And he did it out of his own free will, not because of soullessness or whatever.

Also, Buffy DID care about the consequences of her actions in season 7, and she took responsibility for them:

BUFFY
That's my problem. I say the word, some girl dies...every time.

SPIKE
There's always casualties in war.

BUFFY
Casualties. It just sounds so...casual. These are girls that I got killed. I cut myself off from them...all of them. I knew I was gonna lose some of them and I didn't— (shakes her head, stands up) You know what? I'm still making excuses. I've always cut myself off. I've always— (sighs) Being the slayer made me different. But it's my fault I stayed that way.

Last edited:
Top Bottom