• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Twelve thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Firefly (Re)watch & Discuss: 1.02 The Train Job

Athena

The original one-eyed chicklet
Staff member
Black Thorn
Welcome to the Buffy Boards Firefly re-watch!

This week, we'll be watching the second episode of the first (and only!) season of Firefly - The Train Job - written by Joss Whedon & Tim Minear and directed by Joss Whedon. This (re)watch is open to new Firefly viewers and existing fans. Everyone is welcome to join in!

This episode 2 (re)watch takes place between 17th June 2017 - 23rd June 2017. You can watch this episode at your leisure during that time and discuss the episode below.

Although Firefly has aired for some time, this and all future episode threads are a dedicated no spoiler zone! Please ensure any spoilers are spoiler tagged. :)

The Train Job - S1E2
Synopsis
The crew of Serenity takes on a train heist commissioned by a crime lord. They steal the goods, only to find it is medicine that is desperately needed by the town.

Athena

Staff member
Black Thorn
I actually forgot how hilarious this episode is! :D

I love the scene in the bar with the Alliance man trying to stir up trouble with Mal over Unification Day:

"Y'know, your coat is kinda a brownish color."
"It was on sale."

"I said, you're a coward, and a pisspot. Now what are you gonna do about it?"
"Nothin'. I just wanted you to face me so she could get behind ya."
:D

I thought the whole scene, especially Jayne sitting there saying "I didn't fight in no war" and just letting them face on a massive group of alliance men was brilliant.

The actual train job itself I found the dullest part of the episode, although the bit with Kaylee and Simon was funny. Kaylee definitely remains a high point of the show so far, she's just so sweet and chipper about everything.

"So, what are we doing?"
"Oh! Crime."

I also love the scene with Inara doing Kaylee's hair. Just such a sweet touching thing that friends do but isn't often seen in TV friendships; the little things. :)

Niska was a bit of a cartoon villain, but at least the level of threat with him was apparent immediately. I really like that as soon as Mal & Zoe (who are a very funny fake husband and wife!) learn of the medicine, you can see the guilt on their faces straight away - we know they're going to return the medicine and we also know this won't go down well with Niska.

All in all a good, fun and funny episode.

How is everyone else getting on with the rewatches - is everyone still taking part or have we had some slippage? :p

Fuffy Baith

2017 (and 2016) Cutest BB member
Sineya
How is everyone else getting on with the rewatches - is everyone still taking part or have we had some slippage
Just a little bit from me. Sorry. I got a lot of family stuff planned and a lot of preparation to do these next two weeks. After that I'll be good to go again. I'll try to get this ep in for the week if I can.

Blaze
Blaze
Oh I'm committed!

Aqua

Townie
This was the first episode that aired I think, as the network wanted something more fast-paced than Serenity. When I first watched it I thought it was one of the weakest of the series, but liked it more on rewatch.

Athena

Staff member
Black Thorn
Just a little bit from me. Sorry. I got a lot of family stuff planned and a lot of preparation to do these next two weeks. After that I'll be good to go again. I'll try to get this ep in for the week if I can.
The crew of Serenity are your family! :p

Don't worry I'm still in! Gonna watch this tomorrow after work!
Good - we never leave a crew member behind Blazey. You are finishing this show whether you like it or not! :D

thrasherpix
thrasherpix
HAHAHAHA! :-D
Blaze
Blaze
Yes ma'am! :P

Blaze

Let it Burn
Black Thorn
I thought this episode was good, but dam the networked messed up by showing this as the first episode. It definitely wasn't as strong as the first ep, and it didn't feel like an introductory ep either.

I like that they are showcasing both how crooked the crew is, but in a moral way. I think it was a good exposure episode as far as world building goes. But the train plot wasn't all that great. All the side stuff was more interesting. It was good that we learnt more about the alliance, and how it came to be. That part of the show is interesting. I'm still getting some Star Wars vibe from that plot line.

Kaylee is so far my favourite. How can you not like her? I'm still getting gay vibes with her and Inara :p. Even if it's clear Inara will be Mal's romantic interest and Kaylee will be Simon's.

I'm liking the whole western with space ship stuff more than I thought I would.

HowiMetdaSlayer
HowiMetdaSlayer
Kaylee ♥

Miditron

A man with a Seabreeze
I really liked the lesson in this episode. I like how Mal had a choice and he chose the people over giving the medicine to a looney that tortures people.

I thought this episode was good, but dam the networked messed up by showing this as the first episode. It definitely wasn't as strong as the first ep, and it didn't feel like an introductory ep either.

I like that they are showcasing both how crooked the crew is, but in a moral way. I think it was a good exposure episode as far as world building goes. But the train plot wasn't all that great. All the side stuff was more interesting. It was good that we learnt more about the alliance, and how it came to be. That part of the show is interesting. I'm still getting some Star Wars vibe from that plot line.

Kaylee is so far my favourite. How can you not like her? I'm still getting gay vibes with her and Inara :p. Even if it's clear Inara will be Mal's romantic interest and Kaylee will be Simon's.

I'm liking the whole western with space ship stuff more than I thought I would.
Inara. My love for her is just.... She is amazing. That's all I can say.

Mylie

Scooby
I loved this one!!

Loved seeing Mal change his mind about the medicine and Inara rescuing them was pretty great! Mal and Zoe's friendship is nice.

Jayne dopped up was hilarious... his «I was aiming for the head» lol

The episode felt a lot shorter than the pilot who I felt lasted more than 45 minutes. I was surprised to see this one end already and I would have taken more of it.

Blaze

Let it Burn
Black Thorn
The episode felt a lot shorter than the pilot who I felt lasted more than 45 minutes. I was surprised to see this one end already and I would have taken more of it.
The pilot is almost 90 min long so that's probably why :p But I agree this one felt really short after seeing the pilot. Could have used a little more screen time.

Jayne dopped up was hilarious... his «I was aiming for the head» lol
Jayne is such a jerk but I love it!

Mylie

Scooby
The pilot is almost 90 min long so that's probably why :p But I agree this one felt really short after seeing the pilot. Could have used a little more screen time.
Oh that makes sense now lol. Thanks for clarifying this.

Jayne is such a jerk but I love it!
Yes, same! I usually don't like this kind of character but there's just something about the way Adam Baldwin plays him that works for me. At least so far...

HowiMetdaSlayer

Occasionally, I am callous and strange 🐶
Much of what I was going to say has been posted already. Few comments...
Really like how we get another glimpse of Mal's personality when he replies to the sheriff's line about having a choice with 'I don't believe he does'. Kind of funny how the tech is futuristic yet retro at the same time. Sort of similar to BSG's gritty space style. River's haunting: two by two hands of blue...

Fuffy Baith

Sineya
I finally watched this episode. It's a good ep but I don't think Fox should have aired it first. You need the characters introductions first.

I really like the interactions between Inara and Book, and Mal and Inara. I totally ship them. Lol. Don't really care for the train heist part, but that's not really the point of the ep.

I like the ending with Mal pushing the bad guy in the engine and then starting the exact same convo over Arvin with the other guy. Lol.

Kaylee is so far my favourite. How can you not like her? I'm still getting gay vibes with her and Inara :p. Even if it's clear Inara will be Mal's romantic interest and Kaylee will be Simon's
The hairbrushing scene, it felt line a big sister brushing her little sisters hair. Although, I did get a little lesbi vibe when Inara said "we could experiment". Even though they were talking about Simon. Lol.

Blaze

Let it Burn
Black Thorn
The hairbrushing scene, it felt line a big sister brushing her little sisters hair. Although, I did get a little lesbi vibe when Inara said "we could experiment". Even though they were talking about Simon. Lol.
The "we could experiment" line was so gay lol. Come on, they have to have done that on purpose.

Fuffy Baith

Sineya
The "we could experiment" line was so gay lol. Come on, they have to have done that on purpose.
Yea, I'm sure Joss added that in intentionally. Maybe in case fans weren't into the other relationships, he wanted a back up plan. But I do like that Kaylee is into Simon. It's sort of against type, like you'd almost expect a female mechanic to be a lesbian. I think that by her profession Inara has probably been with girls.

Blaze

Let it Burn
Black Thorn
Yea, I'm sure Joss added that in intentionally. Maybe in case fans weren't into the other relationships, he wanted a back up plan. But I do like that Kaylee is into Simon. It's sort of against type, like you'd almost expect a female mechanic to be a lesbian. I think that by her profession Inara has probably been with girls.
What's wrong with a lesbian mechanic? *Fantasizes* haha! So far I don't really like Simon, he's just very plain to me. But maybe his character gets better later on when we get more of River's storyline. I do like that they did the sister/brother story though, cause you don't see it too often in shows (unless you're a Lannister but that's all kinds of yuk!)

Fuffy Baith

Sineya
What's wrong with a lesbian mechanic? *Fantasizes* haha! So far I don't really like Simon, he's just very plain to me. But maybe his character gets better later on when we get more of River's storyline. I do like that they did the sister/brother story though, cause you don't see it too often in shows (unless you're a Lannister but that's all kinds of yuk!)
Haha. Do you fantasize about mechanics? o_O lol. Oh it's cause they're good with their hands huh? ;) lol

Yea Simon cam come off as really plain and boring sometimes. But I did like when he drugged Jane. Lol. I kind of think the actor is cute. And I don't think Simon has ever really dated girls so that'd why he's a bit awkward with Kaylee. But I ship them. Lol

Taake

Keeper of the Continuum Transfunctioner
Staff member
Black Thorn
It's fine, but it makes no sense as a pilot. I actually watched this one first to try to get the experience of seeing it without having watched Serenity, and though I obviously know the plot, it still felt jumbled and confused most of the time. There's just too much with who won what war, what sides were there, Reavers, crimes, fugitives etc etc.... It felt like a bit of a mess, peppered with some great humor though.
But if this had been the first episode I had seen I'm not sure I would have been all that keen to continue.

Top Bottom