• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Twelve thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Firefly (Re)watch & Discuss: 1.03 Bushwhacked

Athena

The original one-eyed chicklet
Staff member
Black Thorn
Welcome to the Buffy Boards Firefly re-watch!

This week, we'll be watching the third episode of the first (and only!) season of Firefly - Bushwhacked - written and directed by Tim Minear. This (re)watch is open to new Firefly viewers and existing fans. Everyone is welcome to join in!

This episode 3 (re)watch takes place between 24th June 2017 - 30th June 2017. You can watch this episode at your leisure during that time and discuss the episode below.

Although Firefly has aired for some time, this and all future episode threads are a dedicated no spoiler zone! Please ensure any spoilers are spoiler tagged. :)

Bushwhacked - S1E3
Synopsis​
Serenity is pulled in by an Alliance cruiser while investigating a spaceship that was attacked by Reavers. Simon and River must hide to prevent capture, while something is wrong with the lone survivor of the attacked spaceship.

Blaze

Let it Burn
Black Thorn
I really enjoyed this one. It was nice to get to know more about the Alliance and reavers.

My favourite scene was River in space. I'm very curious about her character and what's going on with her.

I loved Kaylee's rant about the ship not being garbage, it was adorable!

Normally I wouldn't like a character like Jayne but here he just works so well on this morally ambiguous crew. Same with Mal, I love how the crew was thinking he was being thoughful and compassionate with the funeral but he really was just trying to distract them.

Fuffy Baith

2017 (and 2016) Cutest BB member
Sineya
This is better than Train Job. I like the world building this does, with the threat of the reavers, the Alliance and the interrogation scene.

I find Book to be an interesting character. I like that he tries to be the moral compass for the crew. And he's just try to find a way to be helpful.

I recognized the Alliance commander guy as Doug Savant AKA Tom Scavo from Desperate Housewives, he was also on Melrose Place. The Dusted podcast would always reference his character from DH, in a negative way, but here is really kind of the bad guy, although technically just doing his job.

I do love good interrogation scenes, these are funny. I also like the opening scene with them playing what looks like s form of basketball.

Same with Mal, I love how the crew was thinking he was being thoughful and compassionate with the funeral but he really was just trying to distract them
That's a great scene. We get some info on reavers. I like hearing Book's philosophy. And if course Mal had his own motivations. Although I feel the trap thing was a bit unnecessary for the plot. But I like when the crew unteraxts with each other, so far that's the highlight of the show for me. They feel like a real crew.

Blaze

Let it Burn
Black Thorn
This is better than Train Job. I like the world building this does, with the threat of the reavers, the Alliance and the interrogation scene.

I find Book to be an interesting character. I like that he tries to be the moral compass for the crew. And he's just try to find a way to be helpful.

I recognized the Alliance commander guy as Doug Savant AKA Tom Scavo from Desperate Housewives, he was also on Melrose Place. The Dusted podcast would always reference his character from DH, in a negative way, but here is really kind of the bad guy, although technically just doing his job.

I do love good interrogation scenes, these are funny. I also like the opening scene with them playing what looks like s form of basketball.

That's a great scene. We get some info on reavers. I like hearing Book's philosophy. And if course Mal had his own motivations. Although I feel the trap thing was a bit unnecessary for the plot. But I like when the crew unteraxts with each other, so far that's the highlight of the show for me. They feel like a real crew.
I kinda like Book too, which is not typical for me to like a priest like character :p But they made him really likeable so far.

The interrogation scene was really good in this ep, mostly because it really shined some backstory on Mal, and it did a lot of world building. Plus like you said, it was funny!

Ya that's true that the trap wasn't really necessary, but I liked it just because it gave us some cool crew scenes, and it showed the reavers as a big threat, they really are to be feared. I hope we get to see more of the reavers through out the show.

The crew definitely is the highlight so far. The whole cast has amazing chemistry. The relationships within the crew all feel very authentic. I also really like the dynamic between Zoe and Wash, they feel like a genuine married couple. I loved when he's trying to get in touch with her and she's just like not now. It's a nice role reversal that she's the guns and he's in the background, usually it would always be the opposite.

Fuffy Baith

2017 (and 2016) Cutest BB member
Sineya
Ya that's true that the trap wasn't really necessary, but I liked it just because it gave us some cool crew scenes, and it showed the reavers as a big threat, they really are to be feared. I hope we
That's true. It shows that reavers aren't just mindless zombies. They are motivated and somewhat smart. It does make them seem like more of a threat.

I have to say I've enjoyed these episodes so fat more than my first two viewings. I'm hoping I continue to like the show.

thrasherpix

Scooby
I'd forgotten how much I liked the interrogation scenes.

I also liked how River looked out into space and found it beautiful (makes sense given a certain attribute of her brain, which I won't say more to avoid spoilage), while her brother found it terrifying.

Athena

Staff member
Black Thorn
Arrgghh looks like I'm going to be behind on this one, but I'll still put up the next episode on Saturday. Hopefully I'll manage to get this episode watched on Saturday though :)

Athena

Staff member
Black Thorn
I thought this episode was genuine quite scary in places, especially the bits with the survivor/reaver guy. The close up on his face was especially frightening. The fact the reavers made him watch as they tortured and killed all those other passengers is truly horrific.

I loved the interrogation scenes, especially between a stoic Zoe and a very descriptive Wash. I love their relationship so freakin much!

River staring in wonder into space was brilliant too, she's so childlike and yet there's definitely something about her.

Mylie

Scooby
I'm enjoying all the interactions between the characters. I love how they tell us more about every character.

The interrogations were hilarious and I continue to be impressed with the imagery/visual aspect of the show.

Taake

Keeper of the Continuum Transfunctioner
Staff member
Black Thorn
I love this episode! I think it's the first one that really presses the threatening force the Alliance is, as well as further explores the Reavers. It's nice to get to see them and not just hear about them, previously the biggest indication of why they're so scary is that Jayne is afraid of them, which was saying something. But seeing it is even better.

Love the interrogations. Love River's space walk with Simon.
Really love Mal vs. the Alliance guy. Though the difference between Zoey and Wash is what really makes me laugh. Kaylee's adorable. Jayne just staring is great. The Sheperd is so far pretty understated.

Mr Trick

Scooby
This one hits the mark. It does a great job of exploring the universe. Its very dark, but also complex, and funny too. Think it opens a lot of the character's up like the bond between Simon and River. It really shows Mal's shades of light and dark, his understanding of the universe and his moral compass. The interrogation scenes were brilliantly done. Nice cameo from Doug Savant of Melrose Place fame. And Kaylee was delightful once again :p

Top Bottom