• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Twelve thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Firefly (Re)watch & Discuss: 1.06 Our Mrs Reynolds

Athena

The original one-eyed chicklet
Staff member
Black Thorn
This week, we'll be watching the sixth episode of the first (and only!) season of Firefly - Our Mrs Reynolds - written by Joss Whedon and directed by Vondie Curtis Hall. This (re)watch is open to new Firefly viewers and existing fans. Everyone is welcome to join in!

This episode 6 (re)watch takes place between 15th July 2017 - 21st July 2017. You can watch this episode at your leisure during that time and discuss the episode below.

Although Firefly has aired for some time, this and all future episode threads are a dedicated no spoiler zone! Please ensure any spoilers are spoiler tagged. :)

Our Mrs Reynolds - S1E6
Synopsis​
After completing a job and participating in a celebration, Mal learns that he inadvertently married a young woman called Saffron, part of the payment for the cargo he delivered. Although Mal insists they are not married, Saffron is determined to fulfill the role of a subservient wife. However, Saffron is not what she appears to be.​

HowiMetdaSlayer

Occasionally, I am callous and strange 🐶
This has to be one of my favorite episodes! So many funny moments and lines! Mal in drag! Christina Hendricks The whole Mal & crew finding out that he's 'married'. Classic! :D Always wondered what Saffron's story was? Was she a companion once?

So many funny lines to choose from, but here's a few highlights:

Book: If you take sexual advantage of her, you're going to burn in a very special level of Hell. A level they reserve for child molesters and people who talk at the theater.

Mal:
I swear by my pretty floral bonnet, I will end you.

Mal: Someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back!

Wash: Some people juggle geese!

Mal: Jayne, go play with your rainstick.

Mal: But she was naked! And all...articulate!
:p

Blaze

Let it Burn
Black Thorn
This was a good comedic episode! Not anything spectacular, but it had plenty of very funny moment.

Mal wearing the dress instead of Zoe was gold, Zoe definitely would not have worn the dress.

Some more of my favourite moments were Inara and Saffron's flirting game and Mal's logic conclusion that Inara kissed Saffron and not him. Jayne and his gun was also pretty good. And of course Shepp's going to hell speech.

Athena

The original one-eyed chicklet
Staff member
Black Thorn
This has always been one of the more memorable episodes for me, because I love Saffron. I think she's a great character and Christina Hendricks plays her perfectly as both the naive, sweet, innocent girl and the smart, sexy vixen. The fight scenes let it down a little, they always seem a bit haphazard, especially compared to Buffy's excellent fight choreography, but the episode contains some great dialogue, and some classic Firefly one-liners.

Also, yet again highlights the perfection that is Wash & Zoe. I love that scene where he kisses her gently by the fire. They're #relationshipgoals for anyone.

Mylie

Scooby
This episode had some good moments but was overall a miss for me.

I rolled my eyes at all the Saffron stuff, I couldn't stand her and not even in a good villain way.

Taake

Keeper of the Continuum Transfunctioner
Watcher
Black Thorn
Love every second of this episode, and love Saffron as you can probably see judging by my banner and avatar :D
This episode just has me laughing. Love when Mal goes to Jayne like "How drunk was I last night?"

And agree with @Athena (what's that - the sound of the four horsemen approaching?) Wash & Zoe love <3

Bluebird
Bluebird
I wondered who your av was for a second but I recognised the boobies!

Fuffy Baith

2017 (and 2016) Cutest BB member
Sineya
This is a really good episode, very entertaining. I like the premise of Mal getting a random wife, that turns out she's not so innocent. I love when Zoe just invites the whole crew down to meet Mrs. Reynolds. lol. Clearly Inara is jealous. I love that Wash is eager to try Saffron's cooking. But then is such a great husband and declines her advances by talking about how much he loves Zoe. I like the scene between Inara and Saffron that was well played. I love Book and his "Special" hell! lol. Haha, that kept cracking me up.
Zoe: So you were kissing?
Book: Well, isn't that, special.
Haha, that's great. Book is one of, if not my favorite character on this rewatch.

Mr Trick

Scooby
This was fun as a standalone. The casting of Hendricks was spot on and I enjoyed her performance. The reveal was well handled too. I don't think it will stand up as one of the best over the season, but it was a blast and I liked how it played out mostly all in the ship.

I do have a question. Which is why did Inara faint when Saffron didn't kiss her? Was it just having physical contact was enough? Or did she do it to save Mal being embarrassed?

HowiMetdaSlayer
HowiMetdaSlayer
she kissed Mal who must've still had some of the drug on his lips
Top Bottom