• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Twelve thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Firefly (Re)watch & Discuss: 1.07 Jaynestown

Athena

The original one-eyed chicklet
Staff member
Black Thorn
This week, we'll be watching the seventh episode of the first (and only!) season of Firefly - Jaynestown - written by Ben Edlund and directed by Marita Grabiak. This (re)watch is open to new Firefly viewers and existing fans. Everyone is welcome to join in!

This episode 7 (re)watch takes place between 22nd July 2017 - 28th July 2017. You can watch this episode at your leisure during that time and discuss the episode below.

Although Firefly has aired for some time, this and all future episode threads are a dedicated no spoiler zone! Please ensure any spoilers are spoiler tagged. :)

Jaynestown - S1E7
Synopsis
The crew lands on a planet to meet a contact. Although Jayne Cobb insists he is wanted there, they are dumbfounded to learn that he is revered by the locals as a folk hero. Mal attempts to use Jayne's status as a distraction to move smuggled goods across town. However, Magistrate Higgins releases Jayne's former accomplice Stitch Hessian, whom Jayne abandoned years ago during a botched robbery and now seeks revenge.

Mylie

Scooby
I thought this episode was funny and smart!

I loved seeing everyone's reaction to Jayne's statue, it was hilarious. Jayne himself had some nice characterization and I remain confused by why this character works so well for me, but I should just stop trying to understand it and enjoy him lol

Kaylee and Simon were cute.

The ending with Mal explaining that the statue is more about what the people need than about Jayne himself was a nice touch and a perfect way to close the episode. While Jayne definitely doesn't deserve those people's admiration and gratitude, I couldn't help but find it endearing and by the end while it is kind of ridiculous, it's also touching because it's not about the man Jayne is but about what he represents to them and that's all that really matters given that he's leaving again.

Athena

The original one-eyed chicklet
Staff member
Black Thorn
This is definitely one of the more memorable episodes (for me). I love seeing Jayne as the hero of Canton. It really brings out a new side of this super-macho untrustworthy guy when you think he genuinely robbed from the rich to feed the poor, like a modern Robin Hood. Knowing Jayne only accidentally dropped the money didn't ruin his character development either.

Simon is so proper, too proper sometimes. I find myself screaming at the TV "just get with Kaylee already!"

I love River's reaction to Shepherds hair - it's hilarious! :D

(Credit: Giphy)

thrasherpix
thrasherpix
One of my favorite throw away lines by River: "It will still be there....waiting." :-D

Fuffy Baith

2017 (and 2016) Cutest BB member
Sineya
Going into this I was like "I don't remember this". As I was watching I was like "Oh yea, I remember that." But I completely forgot the whole Jayne plot. This episode is a lot funnier than I thought. It's hilarious!

I love Simon and Kaylee! But poor Kaylee, when he said that he wouldn't with her. :( but she got him back good in the end.

I like the little song about Jayne. The Hero of Canton, the man they call, Jayne! lol. And I think he gets a little bit of character growth here which is good because sometimes he comes off as a bad guy.

I love River's reaction to Shepherds hair - it's hilarious!
This was hilarious! I literally laughed out loud! Another reason why Book is my favorite character this season. I like his heart to heart talk with River about the bible. But her freaking out over his hair, is just so funny! I love the idea that she is genuinely horrified by his big hair.
Zoe: He's putting the hair away.
River: Doesn't matter. It will be still be there.
"Too much hair!"
It's such a great side plot that is basically just filler, but it's great filler.

Blaze

Let it Burn
Black Thorn
Have good sex! Lol! I love kaylee.

Kaylee is way too good for Simon!

Overall was a pretty good episode. I got hunger game feelings at the end when Jayne was giving his speech to the mudders.

River and Book were the highlight of the episode.

Top Bottom