• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Twelve thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Firefly (Re)watch & Discuss: 1.08 Out of Gas

Athena

The original one-eyed chicklet
Staff member
Black Thorn
This week, we'll be watching the eighth episode of the first (and only!) season of Firefly - Out of Gas - written by Tim Minear and directed by David Solomon. This (re)watch is open to new Firefly viewers and existing fans. Everyone is welcome to join in!

This episode 8 (re)watch takes place between 29th July 2017 - 4th August 2017. You can watch this episode at your leisure during that time and discuss the episode below.

Although Firefly has aired for some time, this and all future episode threads are a dedicated no spoiler zone! Please ensure any spoilers are spoiler tagged. :)

Out of Gas - S1E8
Synopsis​
An explosion in the engine room leaves Serenity with the engine and the life support system and its backup all out of commission. With only a few hours of oxygen left, Mal has the crew leave in the two shuttles while he remains aboard and hopes to contact a passing ship. In a series of flashbacks, Mal convinces Zoe, Jayne, Inara, Wash, and Kaylee to join his crew. Back in the present, Mal is able to hail a ship and secure the part needed to fix the engine, though he is shot by another crew when they prove to have less than pure motives.

thrasherpix

Scooby
For now I'll just say that this was the episode when I fell in love with the series. I was pulled in by the very first, and it kept me coming back for more, but by the end of this episode I had changed from a casual fan into someone very intent on the series and characters. I look forward to seeing this one again soon.

HowiMetdaSlayer

Occasionally, I am callous and strange 🐶
This is one of my favorite episodes. Love seeing how they met the rest of the crew.

Mylie

Scooby
This was such a good episode!

Loved seeing the flashbacks of how the crew came to join Serenity and this really is the episode for me that makes me realize that they're like a little family at this point.

The scene where Mal hired Jayne was hilarious.

Athena

The original one-eyed chicklet
Staff member
Black Thorn
I have a lot of love for this episode. The past, present and future storylines all interweave together well, and it answers a lot of questions about how the crew got together before Book, Simon and River joined the ship.

One thing I really love, is the fact that not once is Kaylee slut-shamed for the way she joined the crew. Mal ignores the fact she's having sex with his mechanic, and only concentrates on the fact she knows her stuff. A lot of shows are scared of making their 'cute' female characters sexual, but Firefly doesn't have that fear. I love that about this show, the fact that sexuality isn't shameful at all, as we also see with Inara.

The way Mal and Zoe met Jayne was so typical Jayne!

A definite standout episode :)

Fuffy Baith

2017 (and 2016) Cutest BB member
Sineya
So this is a great episode, probably the best or 2nd best so far for me. It's a flashback within flashbacks. You got Mal in his current situation, then it flashes back to how the ship got into it's current situation, then flashbacks to how the crew came to be on Serenity. Great use of non-linear storytelling. I love that Zoe at first doesn't like Wash, and that mustache, haha. @Athena would you still have dreams of Alan Tudyk if he had that mustache?;) lol. I also like the scene between Mal first meeting Inara. Although he does break the agreement to stop calling her a whore.

the fact that not once is Kaylee slut-shamed for the way she joined the crew. A lot of shows are scared of making their 'cute' female characters sexual,
Interesting. I never thought that Mal would slut-shame Kaylee. But she does immediately put on her dress and look like cute little Kaylee. But I think that just goes to show that it doesn't matter what you look like or if you're a good girl or bad girl. Sometimes engines just get you hot. lol.

Blaze

Let it Burn
Black Thorn
Fire in space does not work like that!

Aside from that this was my favourite episode so far. Like Fuffy I really liked the flashback within a flashback, it was great storytelling. It was also nice to see the crew just having fun at the beginning.

I love how ominous River always is. She's the most interesting character as far as me wanting to know more.

Top Bottom