• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Twelve thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Firefly (Re)watch & Discuss: 1.10 War Stories

Athena

The original one-eyed chicklet
Staff member
Black Thorn
This week, we'll be watching the tenth episode of the first (and only!) season of Firefly - War Stories - written by Cheryl Cain and directed by James Contner. This (re)watch is open to new Firefly viewers and existing fans. Everyone is welcome to join in!

This episode 10 (re)watch takes place between 12th August 2017 - 18th August 2017. You can watch this episode at your leisure during that time and discuss the episode below.

Although Firefly has aired for some time, this and all future episode threads are a dedicated no spoiler zone! Please ensure any spoilers are spoiler tagged. :)

War Stories - S1E10
Synopsis
Angry that Zoe and Mal have an unshakeable bond as war veterans, her husband Wash demands to take her place on a seemingly routine mission. Mal begrudgingly allows Wash to go along. They are captured by Niska, out to restore his reputation after they failed to complete the robbery he commissioned in "The Train Job".

Mylie

Scooby
This one was okay. I didn't care much for the villain and torture scenes. They felt too much but in a bad way. Just wasn't convinced by it.

Kaylee and River were cute and the shift in the relationship by the end was interesting. I'd be freaked out too if I were Kaylee.

I loved the crew coming together to rescue Mal.

Jayne giving them apples and joining the rescue despite his initial stance on it shows some great continuity with last week's episode. He clearly knows he has things to make up for and he does owe it to Mal.

thrasherpix

Scooby
I wasn't looking forward to seeing this one again, but it had a lot more than I remembered that made me glad to see it again after all...and more than one thing that will come up in the last episode.

I really enjoyed seeing Kaylee and River playing, and sad to see Kaylee too freaked out to be with River at the end (and I know Kaylee was struggling with other emotions as well). Lots of echoes, from bunks to that sadistic philosopher author to the repeat of "No power in the Verse can stop me."

Athena

Staff member
Black Thorn
I remember really loving this episode the first time I saw it, but I'm a little behind this week. Hopefully I can rewatch this in the week along with the next one :)

Athena

Staff member
Black Thorn
Love the interplay between Mal & Wash, and the central relationships between both men and Zoe. Wash and Zoe are still, to me, the absolute epitome of a perfectly normal on-screen relationship: they love each other, they quarrel, they make up, they support each other and sometimes they fib to spare feelings. I love that it's Zoe who ultimately saves the day, and doesn't hesitate to save her husband. That's true love right there.

Of course the pinnacle of the episode is the scene with River, which asks a lot of questions about her and her abilities. It's a great tease for her character.

Fuffy Baith

2017 (and 2016) Cutest BB member
Sineya
Don't really care for much of this episode. I really don't like Wash's jealousy towards Mal. I don't really like them arguing while being tortured. And I don't like the joke about Mal sleeping with Zoe either. Not until the ending, which that was pretty funny. lol. What was the whole point of Inara's companion visit? Just to have Jayne say "I'll be in my bunk" twice. Which was funny. I did like seeing Book working out with Jayne and insisting on going with him and Zoe. And then grabbing a gun and saying the bible is vague on shooting kneecaps. lol. Another reason why he's become my favorite character on this rewatch.

I liked River and Kaylee running around and laughing like little school girls in the opening scene. River shooting the bad guys without looking was pretty awesome, and nice to get a hint of what she can do and how dangerous she can be.

Great line at the end though.
"This is something the captain has to do for himself."
"No! No, it's not!".
Haha. That's great!

Top Bottom