• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Twelve thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Firefly (Re)watch & Discuss: 1.12 The Message

Athena

The original one-eyed chicklet
Staff member
Black Thorn
This week, we'll be watching the twelfth episode of the first (and only!) season of Firefly - The Message - written by Joss Whedon & Tim Minear and directed by Tim Minear. This (re)watch is open to new Firefly viewers and existing fans. Everyone is welcome to join in!

This episode 12 (re)watch takes place between 26th August 2017 - 1st September 2017. You can watch this episode at your leisure during that time and discuss the episode below.

Although Firefly has aired for some time, this and all future episode threads are a dedicated no spoiler zone! Please ensure any spoilers are spoiler tagged. :)

The Message - S1E12
Synopsis
Mal and Zoe receive in the mail the body of Tracey, a comrade-in-arms who fought with them at the Battle of Serenity Valley, and they attempt to honor his recorded wish to be returned home. However, a corrupt Alliance officer demands they turn over the body and the goods the soldier was smuggling

HelloIAmHawt

The Master's Publicist
This episode has been filed under "OK" for a while for me. It was a fun bit of backstory for Mal and Zoe, but does anyone else get tired of the writers damseling Kaylee all the time? Ah well. This didn't air in the original run, so I imagine that Fox wasn't huge on it either (but y'know, screw Fox overall).

It's fun to see Jonathan Woodward, I suppose, but only if you're charmed by Joss' overuse of the same actors (which I like, so long as they're talented. Woodward is decent).

Mylie

Scooby
Episode was good and had nice moments. Not a favorite overall, but still decent.

Kaylee is so sweet and adorable. I'm getting really annoyed with the way Simon talks to her. I know he said he's not good with talking to women but geez.

I love how every character get to shine and save the day from time to time. Last episode was Inara and this episode was Book.

Loved Jayne's hat lol

thrasherpix

Scooby
"This may come as a shock but I’m actually not very good at talking to girls."

"Why? Is there someone you are good at talking to?"

:D

And kind of a throw back to when Simon and River were about burned by hill folk. It must've looked really bad (though probably not surprising) that the hill folk who needed a doctor so bad were about to burn Simon with River.

"Gotta say, Doctor, your talent for alienatin' folks is near miraculous."

"Yes, I'm very proud."

(And Kaylee wasn't happy with him in that episode either.)

Athena

Staff member
Black Thorn
Super behind, but hey ho!

I never really liked this episode all that much, and I found myself zoning out a little. I enjoyed having a little backstory to Mal & Zoe but it wasn't needed - we knew they fought together. I don't see how we needed any more.

It was good to have Book front and centre, and Jayne's hat is, of course, legendary but otherwise it was definitely a lesser episode to me. Even the funeral at the end wasn't all that emotional - I don't care about Tracey, he was a douche. He brought all this trouble onto his supposed colleagues, shot Wash and held Kaylee captive all because he was selfish and wanted "the higher bid".

The only thing that worked as far as Tracey was concerned, was Mal's face after he shot him. You could tell Mal really cared for the guy, and Nathan sells it perfectly. I did read however that as this episode was the last one shot, all the cast knew the show had been cancelled, so the emotions were probably more to do with the show's cancellation than Tracey's untimely demise.

Fuffy Baith

2017 (and 2016) Cutest BB member
Sineya
This is a mixed episode for me, it's okay. I like the beginning with the crew at that station place. Oh poor poor Kaylee, Simon has no idea what he's doing. lol. I like River just walking by him and saying "boob" lol. I just love these short moments where River isn't acting crazy, but is just being honest. lol.

I didn't really care about Tracy and his story with those corrupt policemen, smuggling organs. I didn't like his flirting with Kaylee. I did like the flashback with Mal and Zoe in the war. It's a good reminder of their past and their relationship with each other.

Tracy is an idiot and I always hate when characters do this kind of stuff that ultimately leads to their downfall. It's like just be patient and trust people and then you don't end up dead!

I did read however that as this episode was the last one shot, all the cast knew the show had been cancelled, so the emotions were probably more to do with the show's cancellation than Tracey's untimely demise.
Really? Weird since there are two eps after it. But that would make sense as to why everyone seems so down throughout the episode.

Athena

Staff member
Black Thorn
Really? Weird since there are two eps after it. But that would make sense as to why everyone seems so down throughout the episode.
They don't always film shows in transmission order :)

Top Bottom