• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Twelve thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Firefly (Re)watch & Discuss: 1.14 Objects in Space

Athena

The original one-eyed chicklet
Staff member
Black Thorn
This week, we'll be watching the fourteenth (and final!) episode of the first (and only!) season of Firefly - Objects in Space - written and directed by Joss Whedon. This (re)watch is open to new Firefly viewers and existing fans. Everyone is welcome to join in!

This episode 14 (re)watch takes place between 9th - 15th September 2017. You can watch this episode at your leisure during that time and discuss the episode below.

Although Firefly has aired for some time, this and all future episode threads are a dedicated no spoiler zone! Please ensure any spoilers are spoiler tagged. :)

Objects in Space - S1E14
Synopsis
River picks up a gun she finds in the cargo bay (which she sees as a tree branch), frightening the crew into wondering if she is too dangerous to be let loose. Bounty hunter Jubal Early sneaks aboard the ship in flight, incapacitates some of the crew and captures Simon. River agrees to go with Early in exchange for leaving her brother and the ship in peace.

Athena

The original one-eyed chicklet
Staff member
Black Thorn
Are we all a little behind on this ep?! Not to worry, this is being extended til Wednesday 20th, for good reason ;)

Mylie

Scooby
I loved this one! Such a good episode for River and I loved seeing every abide by her plan, the shot of her and Malcolm in space was particularly heartwarming.

I wish Jayne had participated but at the same time it was very much in character for him to just sleep it off.

The guy who wanted to take River away (can't remember his name) was so scary at first. I love how that slowly changed through the episode with River taunting him.

Great way to finish this series even if it's not a real ending.

thrasherpix

Scooby
I found this a gripping episode that had me on the edge of my seat the first time I saw it, but without the tension (because I know what happens) it's now more of a meh episode to me. I didn't regret watching it again (though it was days before I got around to it), but it will never have the strong impact the first time I saw it.

It would've been a great season ending if only there was another season.

But one interesting bit I'd forgotten about is where at the start they pass a planet, and it looks so much like the jack ball River and Kaylee are using at the end that I wonder if that ball was used by the FX crew to make the planet appearing to be in space at the start.

Evil Seal

The Blake Bortles of whatever's going on right now
I think this episode is my favorite. It's really scary at times (when Jubal threatens Kaylee), still manages to make you laugh (Jubal himself is creepily funny but Simon and River steal the show) and River is finally in the spotlight for the whole episode and it was long overdue. Of course she gets almost an entire movie about her in 2005 but still, it's nice to see the character development.
I saw it for the third time yesterday and still was captivated and on the edge of my seat.
And as @Mylie said, the shot in space was really heartwarming and the wonder on River's face is a nice call back to Bushwacked when the Tams were hiding outside Serenity while the Alliance was searching the ship. It reminds you that she is in fact just a kid.

Top Bottom