1. Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Ten thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Question First Reaction to S8

Discussion in 'Season 8' started by chasesummers, Apr 11, 2015.

1. chasesummers

chasesummers Cordy Lives

Just a few weeks ago I started reading the Buffyverse comics again, which is what brought me back here. I started from Angel After The Fall and even though it was dramatic it really set things right, we saw all characters again and it was fantastic.

However when I started reading Buffy Season 8 again I quickly jumped to Season 9 after a few "episodes" because I didn't want to go through it again, at least not now. I was looking forward to Season 9 because I haven't read it yet and so far it has a better start then the previous season.

Season 8 felt so out of place. The first issue I had was how it started a year later season 7 if I'm correct, we find Buffy all armed up with her squad, living in a castle (how did they get that?), bunch of technology, Dawn transforming, flying/space sex with Angel!, Spike and his ship. That's a lot to take in and after watching the show I just didn't feel like I re-entered it though the comic.

Picture S7 ending with the beginning of S8, you don't have a smooth connection, you'll have to catch up with the story and the vibe is not familiar, since I'm not a comic book reader I felt really out of place.

How did you feel entering Buffyverse once again through the comics?​

AAXL98 likes this.
  2. Silverspike

Silverspike Scooby

Lets face it, season 8 was utter crap wasn't it. Like Whedon had been on heavy duty drugs when writing it. :D

"How did you feel entering Buffyverse once again through the comics?"

The comics don't come across to me as anything like the show. Either in quality of writing nor in the treatment of the characters sadly.

"Picture S7 ending with the beginning of S8, you don't have a smooth connection, you'll have to catch up with the story and the vibe is not familiar, since I'm not a comic book reader I felt really out of place."

Exactly, and I was an avid comic book collector for nigh on 25 years and to me the Buffy comics still didn't come across well.

PassionBecoming, AAXL98 and Taake like this.
  3. EVIL UU

EVIL UU Scooby

My first reaction is - what is this chick doing? By the end of season 7 Buffy's barely standing, she's a wreck. She should be in some safe, nice place, with a nice beach and a nice weather with her nice antidepressants and a bag of nice weed or something. She needs to rest, maybe think about her life, maybe do some soul-searching, write a book, find a lover, teach the younger slayers, sure, if she feels like - not lead a cult-ish guerilla army that's seemingly at war with everything! I mean, Willow and Xander managed - Xander went away to hang out with Dracula ( after Anya's death? Not gonna judge the poor bastard ) and Willow totally left the dimension to learn new shit and have sex with demons. Buffy just kept on grinding - it's crazy, really.

Basically, Buffy wanted power - she didn't want to be just one of the slayers, you know what I mean? The rest is just details. The money? She stole it with her squad.

The finale of season 9 is where the comic really starts to feel like the show, at least in my opinion. Reading it gives me the same feels as watching, say, "Primeval" or "Graduation Day".

PassionBecoming likes this.
  4. chasesummers

chasesummers Cordy Lives

Stole it? Lol seriously?
    But yeah Buffy should take care of herself now and be happy (something that will never happen because if the star of the show is happy than there is nothing else to show)

I feel like someone else should lead the series now like Faith, someone who still has a lot of growth to go through, Buffy would be a total badass if she becomes in control of herself and at peace, something she achieved at the end of S7. However the comics are a continuation but can be dismissed too.

5. EVIL UU

EVIL UU Scooby

Yeah, she stole Nazi diamonds from a safe somewhere with her squad of slayers. No, I mean, really.

I don't know, Superman doesn't strike me as particularly unhappy. Also, Buffy seemed pretty happy in season 4, now in season 10 as well, so yeah. Happiness's not that much of a problem in my opinion.

6. chasesummers

chasesummers Cordy Lives

I just remembered, whats up with Buffy falling for Xander? It's a memory I try to forget and deny, it makes Buffy look like a ho*ny fool, what the hell?

Charmander and thetopher like this.
  7. thetopher

thetopher Member of the Church Of Faith

Sineya
    It's apparently because she's lonely. Buffy's surrounded by girls most of the time and Xander is the only guy in her line of work. Instead of going outside of work, take a night off and find somebody to be with, instead she does daft things.
    First she sleeps with a slayer that's in love with her, kinda using Satsu to make herself feel better, and then when that doesn't work she convinces herself that she and Xander should be together. Xander rightly punctures this nonsense in a nice little scene.

Warning: Get used to 'comics'-Buffy looking like a fool over and over again...

MarlieTheSlayer and chasesummers like this.
  8. EVIL UU

EVIL UU Scooby

Well...why not? All things considered Xander's kinda alright, especially in season 8. I mean, people change, their preferences change etc etc. Yeah, sure, worst possible timing ever but that's just Buffy being Buffy, I suppose. I don't have a problem with Buffy having feeling towards Xander because, you know, I don't care who Buffy sleeps with or whatever but what Buffy does after learning about Xander and Dawn infuriates me. Buffy! It's your best friend and your sister. You have feelings? Well, tough shit, get over it and keep your mouth shut, Jesus! No, of course not, it's H-hey Xander, what about me? She's unbelievable!

thetopher likes this.
  9. chasesummers

chasesummers Cordy Lives

I don't think her preference changed at all, it was just a needy situation.
    Yeah I didn't like the whole "what about me?" thing, personally I couldn't picture Buffy on tv saying that because it's so out of character, did Joss seriously write this? Lol

thetopher likes this.
  10. AAXL98

AAXL98 Guest

I read the Angel comics they were very much like the show and they were mostly great!

However I read Buffy S8 Library Edition Vol.1 and I hated it. I hated the plot, the artwork, everything about it. It was nothing like the show, Dawn was a giant, Buffy had sex with a girl, Willow could fly. There was just no transition from Buffy S7 to S8. It was a complete joke and it felt nothing like the show, it was over the top. I believe they wanted it to appeal to Marvel and DC readers so they made it as over the top as possible.
    --- Double Post Merged, Jun 28, 2015, Original Post Date: Jun 28, 2015 ---
    What Buffy comics do you recommend? Season 8 is a joke to me and I'm not liking Season 10. As for Season 9 it has the lowest ratings out of the bunch. Are the Angel and Faith comics good?

11. EVIL UU

EVIL UU Scooby

Willow was already levitating and floating herself in season 5, considering how much more powerful she is in season 8? Flying is not a stretch, I'd say.

Yeah, that was awesome!

thetopher and VisionBoy like this.
  12. AAXL98

AAXL98 Guest

smh :rolleyes:

13. Silverspike

Silverspike Scooby

Angel and Faith is okay, but I'm afraid I often find it to be a tad dull. As to the comics well weirdly enough some of the early Dark Horse comics (before season 8) I thought was a brave stab at transferring the verse into comic form. It was hit and miss but some of it felt at least like the show.

I personally liked IDW's 'Angel after the fall', as well as 'Spike Asylum' and 'Shadow Puppets' by Brian Lynch. Not brilliant but great fun.

14. white avenger

white avenger white avenger

Maybe we're supposed to just assume that Buffy had at least a little down time during the 1 1/2 to 2 year gap between Seasons 7 and 8. Skipping all that time was, in my opinion, a real mistake on Joss' part. There was the potential for literally dozens of stories during that time, beginning with, where did the survivors of the final battle with the First Evil go? How did they meet the common concerns of food, shelter other living expenses? (I've heard so many people, who obviously never watched his show, say that Buffy went to be with Angel after Sunnydale was destroyed) What was the general post traumatic experiences of the survivors? What happened to the Watchers' Council? The administrative staff died with the building 's destruction, but there were apparently quite a few field agents who must have survived. And those are just the first things that come to mind.

The time between "Chosen" and the beginning of Season 8 is a virtual treasure trove of untold stories that Joss simply, for some reason, chose to ignore. Buffy goes from standing on the brink of a giant crater to being the head of an organization spanning the globe, with a Scottish castle headquarters so well furnished and equipped that it would make Justice League AND the Avengers jealous.

15. AndrewCrossett

AndrewCrossett Satsu Otaku

Sineya
    I thought season 8 was as good as any televised season of the show, and a perfectly logical outgrowth to what happened in season 7.

That's not the consensus opinion around here, though, so I generally just keep my mouth shut these days.

sk73 and thetopher like this.
  16. thetopher

thetopher Member of the Church Of Faith

Sineya
    I liked a lot of Season 8 too. A lot of the things that bothered other people about the comics just don't bother me. From S1 of the show we had giant mantis ladies and animated puppets- that's a pretty ridiculous bar setting right there.

A long as the characters act/sound like the characters then I don't really have a problem. S8 had that in spades. Buffy sounded like Buffy, Xander was at his most Xander-like, Willow was great, Faith gets a brilliant arc, no sign of those two vampires that tend to suck up masses of screen time, and we had some nice pacing throughout the season.
    The 'Retreat' arc is where it starts to fall apart a bit for me (but its still got some nice moments- Oz and Willow's reunion for example) but doesn't get really silly until the big Twilight reveal.

For me S9 of Buffy is worse than S8 because its dull, unfunny, directionless, up until the very cool end arc.

AndrewCrossett and EVIL UU like this.
  17. Silverspike

Silverspike Scooby

"S8 had that in spades."

Really? For me it had very little, particularly towards the end when imo everyone was acting ooc.

"From S1 of the show we had giant mantis ladies and animated puppets- that's a pretty ridiculous bar setting right there."

Well imo the difference was that in the show there wasn't tons of it, and the way it was done seemed to fit. The comics just got increasingly daft for no apparent reason.

"The time between "Chosen" and the beginning of Season 8 is a virtual treasure trove of untold stories that Joss simply, for some reason, chose to ignore."

Just lazy, lazy writing imo. People wanted to know and Whedon tried the short cut approach he's so fond of and in this I don't think it worked at all.

18. Riderofapocalypse

Riderofapocalypse Potential

In terms of just Buffy comics (no Angel comics at all), I felt that once the excitement of having more Buffy after the show concluded died off, I looked at the Buffy comic issues (I was just past the halfway point in S8) as just comic issues/episodes/chapters and quickly became uninterested. It didn't feel like I was reading Buffy material anymore. Actually, the Buffy comics is what turned me to read and eventually write fan fiction and I dare say I found Buffy cannon and original stories that could rival the quality of the show itself.
    So although I personally feel now and felt then that the comics (as they pertain to feeling like Buffy comics, or as you ask 'how I felt entering the Buffyverse once again') are crap, they did lead me to find incredible Buffy stories else ware. So it felt great entering the Buffyverse again, but then felt like such a let down that I stopped supporting the comic

cheers

Silverspike likes this.
  19. EVIL UU

EVIL UU Scooby

About fan fiction being better than the comics - I strongly disagree with that. Buffy comics, good or bad, are still gen stories, they still have something for everybody and, regardless of their quality, they still deliver that mix of action, drama, humour and metaphors that make a Buffy story. Fan fiction is written by shippers, for shippers - a decent, gen continuation of the show simply does not exist and yes, I tried reading some virtual seasons, it's trash. Also, 99% of fan fiction writers do not get the tone right - they either go full fluff, or full drama or full 50 @%&!ing shades. Yeah. So, unless fan fiction writers up their game I recommend they shut up and stop spewing nonsense about the superiority of their rubbish. Seriously, the comics might be garbage compared to the show but they're still better than your garbage.

The part about Willow having a family - man, that was heartbreaking.

gite63 and thetopher like this.
  20. Riderofapocalypse

Riderofapocalypse Potential

Ok you disagree, no problem. Don't you think your painting with a very large brush at all? Sure a large portion of fan fiction is shipping, but so what? Does that mean there can't be an amazing story to go with it? I get your experience with fan fiction has been less than great, but why dis-credit the whole thing? People can create some pretty interesting stuff if given the chance