• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:

1. You really should register so you can chat with us!

2. Fourteen thousand people can't be wrong.

3. Buffy-Boards loves you.

4. See 1 through 3.

Come on, register already!

Fred/Gunn vs. Fred/Wesley

Which pairing do you like more?

• Fred/Gunn

Votes: 9 42.9%
  • Fred/Wesley

Votes: 6 28.6%
  • Both

Votes: 2 9.5%
  • Neither

Votes: 4 19.0%

• Total voters

Miss Muffet

"Can I trade in the children for more cash?"
Before I start, I want to make this clear I don't intend to make this thread a shipping war, so please don't.

When it comes down to the Wesley/Fred/Gunn love triangle, I don't have a personal opinion on which pairing I like better, which led me to wonder what people like about the pairings.
So here's my question:
Which pairing do you like more? Why? Is there anything in particular you don't like about the other?

Please be civil, and thank you!

Puppet

Actual size.
Black Thorn
Fred/Gunn all day long! They had believable build-up, spending time outside of work, having breakfast together, before they made the move to an actual couple. While they were a bit cheesy in the beginning (which, let's face it, is also very believable) they eventually grew into a comfortable, trusting, fun couple that felt so right. In a lot of ways, even their break-up fit into that, taking a while to fully take effect, and the friendship that remained between them as exes made the whole thing even sweeter.

On the other hand, Fred/Wes was almost entirely about Wesley; his crush (pining) on Fred, his feelings about her choosing Gunn over him (even though she didn't even know she was choosing between two), his continued pining throughout the next two seasons. Then, in S5, we finally get a bit of Fred pining after him, but it just feels too late and not very believable. It feels more like putting them together 'because why not'. Not to mention that, when they finally get together...BAM! She's dead and we get Wes' manpain for the rest of the show. I liked them being friends, truthfully, more than anything else they ever tried to be.

Agreed with what @Puppet says.

Even the idea of her 'choosing' is so Wesley centric. It doesn't matter if a hundred men are interested in dating her - if she's into Gunn, she isn't looking at the other 99. She isn't umming and ahhing and coming to a decision, she's acting on her own, very real feelings. It's only Wesley who ever sees it in terms of a choice - he really doesn't get that he was never in the running, there wasn't even a race. She just liked Gunn and that was the end of it.

I always think Wesley never really sees Fred for who she is, he sees her for who he wants her to be. He doesn't make his dream woman fit into a Fred shape, he fits Fred into the shape of his dream woman - whether it is true or not. And never really stops to consider that the feelings might not be reciprocated.

He's always very protective of Fred - worrying she might get emotionally hurt with Gunn, trying to keep her out of danger, blaming himself when she gets in danger and that's because he wants a damsel to rescue, therefore dream woman is a damsel, therefore Fred is one. What she actually is is a woman who kept herself safe and hidden in a hell dimension for five years and came home and rebuilt her life. As Gunn says about her in Heart Throb: 'girl's strong.' But that's never how Wesley treats her.

I think Gunn can see her more clearly and falls for the reality of her, rather than what he wants her to be.

r2dh2

Never go for the kill when you can go for the pain
I don’t have strong feelings one way or another, but I never really fell for Gunn/Fred. I agree that it was indeed an organic relationship, but I always felt that it wasn’t a good match. I did prefer the Wes/Fred pairing, although I also agree that the way it was portrayed was all about Wes. However, I also think that this was the intention. Wes falling for her and becoming obsess with her is what contributes to his descent into his “darkness.” Tbh, I never really warmed up to Fred. She was cute and nice, but I found Wes’ story much more compelling and layered. Despite all his many mistakes, I like him. But, yeah, he’s a very flawed man. And regarding Gunn, I’m with those that think that him and Anne would have been the perfect couple. Both had similar interests and similar background.

Priceless

Scooby
I much prefer Fred/Gunn, mainly because of Wesley's entitled behaviour towards them both just irritated me so much.
I am not a big Fred fan as she had too much of the cool-girl about her. Once they'd both had their memories wiped in S5 I liked them much better and Gunn a little less.

sunestellar

Bad Day. Started bad, stayed that way.
Fred/Wesley all the way !
They have so much more in common. Their doomed fate put a stop to the very beginning of their relationship. It was so frustrating, dark and gloomy... I love it. I really wonder what could have happened if both of them stayed alive... But I prefer it this way tho, because their unfinished love affair compels us to imagine what could have been. What if they had started dating earlier ? Prior to Wesley's betrayal or after it ? So many other paths could have been taken, and at that point, I seriously consider reading fanfics about them to find out.

Regarding Fred/Gunn, I never really get the whole thing between them... Their relationship kinda came out of nowhere imo, and got real awkward and fuzzy after the murder of Seidel. I may lack of objectivity regarding them since I can't feel any chemistry between these two characters, leading me to pay very little attention to the moments they shared together as a couple..

Ethan Reigns

Scooby
Sineya
I never saw any long-term prospect for Fred/Gunn. A physicist and a street gang leader really don't have much to talk about with each other. Fred and Wesley were not in the same field but they were researchers. With the death of Professor Seidel, I got Riley and Buffy vibes with Gunn thinking he knew better than Fred about what she was doing. She was sending the professor off to Pylea or some place like it whereas Gunn turned it into a murder.

Fred and Wesley had a bit more in common although Wesley had daddy issues that ruined his confidence and therefore he was a bit slow on the uptake with Fred.

Neither pairing could be considered soulmates. They were always more likely to be waypoints on the way to something else.

Stake fodder

Soulless
I liked Fresley in S5, but since this is an S3 thread, I voted for Funn. I agree with what's said above, that Wesley seemed more entitled and possessive, while Gunn just seemed to enjoy Fred for who she was. While they all may have been about the same age, Fred and Gunn just seemed more like the 'kids' of the group, and both had an attitude of "I'm going to find some joy in life no matter what it throws at me." They were just a fun, cute couple.

TriBel

Scooby
I actually think Frillyria and Angel is a OTP. The little human who adores him and who he can protect if need be; the God-Emperor who can lay down the law. It's what he's been looking for since he was turned. So I'm not attached to any of S3 pairings. Gunn should be with Annie and Wes...IDK...Lilah? Doesn't matter...he dies.

Top Bottom