• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Twelve thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Fred or Illyria?

Fred or Illyria?

• Fred

Votes: 15 53.6%
  • Illyria

Votes: 13 46.4%

• Total voters

AnthonyCordova

Earth Invasion Taskforce Unlimited
Sineya
So who do you prefer as an idea?

I love Fred myself. She was and always will be one of my favorite characters from Angel.

However, I think there is greater and more interesting long term potential with Illyria. She's an amazing character that offers more possibilities than Fred ultimately (in my opinion). What do you people think? I don't want to give away any spoilers from the comics (for those of us who have yet to read them) but who is more interesting to you and who yields more fertile story potential? The idea of an original Demi-god demon stripped of all her power and having to adjust to a new and very alien world was ripe with possibilities (for the character and the general plot). Fred is dear to me, but the change to Illyria was an interesting and wonderful transition for Amy Acker, so in the end I am happy to have Illyria as a replacement. I only wish they had made more television for the Illyria character and taken her interesting places. So considering every factor, which was a more interesting character to you, all in all?

I thought Illyria was one of the most brilliant and compelling and fertile story twists of all of Buffy and Angel.

Taake

That's right, I'm watching you...
Staff member
Black Thorn
Oh, why do you want to hurt me? ;P

Seriously though, I find this choice almost impossible to make. I love Fred, I find it hard to pinpoint exactly what I love about her character but it's probably a combination of her brain power and her intrinsic sweetness. I just find her very regular and human in a group that are all kind of 'super' human (or just misfits) in one way or another... for the AI team I find her to be a fresh breath of air. I hated seeing her die. It was truly heartbreaking (even though she's a fictional character) and I thought I was going to hate Joss Whedon for it.

The thing is though. I love Illyria too. The second Fred becomes Illyria it's like an entirely different entity (credit goes to Ms. Acker). It kind of made me forget that she was once Fred and allowed me to like her simply for being Illyria - the awesome, callous, God-creature that came to be of help after all. I love and savor pretty much every minute of Illyria on screen.

At the end of the day though... I think I'm going to pick Fred. I can see how there would be more plotlines for a demi-god demon and I agree that it is one of the most fertile twists on the entire show, however... I'm not sure how interested I really feel in seeing another demon trying to cope with a more humanized life. The outlook of Illyria as a long time character is kind of dull to me. Had the show carried on (as I don't read the comics anymore) I think my preference would have been for a return of Fred but with some residual Illyrian-effects in her. :)

Blaze
Blaze
I think this is also pretty much my opinion on Fred/Illyria

AnthonyCordova

Earth Invasion Taskforce Unlimited
Sineya
I like your answer, it was very thoughtful! I love Fred to pieces but it's funny that I find her the duller one in comparison to Illyria. The psychology of Illyria is interesting, whereas Fred is straightforward, wholesome and uncomplicated to me (by comparison to Illyria). That's what I love about her at the same time...but Illyria poses more opportunity to explore interesting and different perspectives and ideas, to me at least.

Taake

That's right, I'm watching you...
Staff member
Black Thorn
I just feel like if Fred came back she really wouldn't be so straightforward and wholesome or uncomplicated... she would have to deal with the whole dying and Illyria taking over her body thing. I think that would leave some definite marks on her and we would as a result have to see a completely new Fred.

Again, I really love Illyria, can't be stressed enough, but I'm not sure what would be interesting about her character development. Or rather I suppose - I'm not sure what would be new about it.

:)

thetopher

Member of the Church Of Faith
Sineya
I'd go with Fred...just.

Fred was just really good and sweet and awesome. A kooky brainbox who matured and grew in a more likeable way that say, Willow. But who still stood out amongst a group of strong personalities and awesome characters. (Cordelia, Wesley and Angel? That's a lot of awesome!)

I mean I like Illyria, she's a fascinating character and pretty much everything she says is interesting/cool on some level. It would've been fun to see her evolve...but I would've wanted her to 'evolve' by showing some Fred-like personality traits over time, like the writers were planning.

Bottom line I like her, but I love Fred.

janas

Bangel in the soul
I really love Fred. I don't understand Illyria, I'm not able to get into her head. I think she has appeared in a time when we really don't need a new character, and I can't forget that she's the one who killed Winifred Burkle, so...

Black Thorn
I thought Fred was freaking adorable...but Illyria was simply breathtaking. From her first line, "This will do," to her last, "I wish to do more violence," she stole my heart.
Amy Acker really nailed that role. It was like a totally different person was playing Ilyria. With just some blue contacts, blue hair, and that outfit, she became another person. (then again, she did it in The Girl in Question as well...remember when Fred's parents came to visit? And right after they got on the elevator, her expression changed from Fred to Illyria without any make up. I got chills. Now, that's acting!
The scenes with Illyria beating the crap out of Spike were just hilarious. "I'd like to keep Spike as my pet." Haha.

GwenRaiden
GwenRaiden
Oh god yeah, ditto chills RE The Girl in Question. AA knocked it right out the park.

gite63

Gone
Sineya
On the show, both - it's too hard for me to choose. In the comics, I wish Fred hadn't come back.

Give Us A Kiss

Fuffy Apologist
Sineya
Illyria, because I didn't get the impression that they were using her mostly for eye candy... (I do like Fred though).

Anyways, Amy did a good job with both roles :)

Wildfly

blue fire
Black Thorn
Illyria. Fred's character gradually became more and more boring for me. All that cuteness without real substance. At least they gave her a few good lines and a dramatic exit.
Amy Acker was pretty good as Illyria, even if i've preferred if she played a bit less wooden and more feral and primeval, but i guess it was a demanding role and the writers themselves were not really sure how show a sudden transition of an entity like Anyanka or Illyria into human form / society other than mostly use it for comic relief.

vellavu

Scooby
Black Thorn
Illyria. Fred's character gradually became more and more boring for me. All that cuteness without real substance. At least they gave her a few good lines and a dramatic exit.
Amy Acker was pretty good as Illyria, even if i've preferred if she played a bit less wooden and more feral and primeval, but i guess it was a demanding role and the writers themselves were not really sure how show a sudden transition of an entity like Anyanka or Illyria into human form / society other than mostly use it for comic relief.
There are two Freds. The Pylea cave Fred is brave, kind, smart, and cute in a legitimate way. The gang-sheltered Fred is much worse. In the Jasmine arc, Fred went back to the Pylea mode and was both cute and badass.

So for me it's: cave Fred > Illyria > sheltered Fred.

Wildfly
Wildfly
Cave Fred was great. after that i liked her much less.

Mr Trick

Scooby
Having not read the comics bar one issue I was undecided having seen much more Fred than Illyria. Because Illyria is basically Fred's darker side then it seems so both are just as vital. Only thing is Fred worked as a long term character, I can't say for sure if Illyria would, but I was excited by the possiblities set up at the end of the show.

Willow Tara

Grr Argh - aka WhedonverseFan
Sineya
Oh god that's sooo hard! I wish that Fred didn't die her (and also Taras) death scene kills me everytime I watch it. But Illyria is such an awesome Character. ( I've said that before but I'll just say it again because it really fits here: ) They should have done it like this: Fred didn't die. There is just one of the old ones that is kind of her doppelganger and that's Illyria. That would have been cool. Kind of like Vampire Willow. Also Illyria could fool the others pretending being Fred and all that you know? I want that to happen! Because I love Fred AND Illyria!!!!!

MarieVampSlayer

Bloody hell, Sodding, blimey, shagging, knickers..
Sineya
Fred, nothing in this world (or another) can replace her. I did love the Illyria idea but the fact that it caused Fred's death will always make me bitter toward her/it. Maybe Cordelia should have become Illyria, althought we know CC is not as good as being bad as Amy is.

AlphaFoxtrot

Scooby
Illyria. Amy Acker can play Fred in her sleep, pretty girl plays pretty girl. Illyria is range, it's a character fundamentally different from any other character on the show. I know Bruce Timm hired her for JLU because of that role, I don't doubt others have too. Illyria is why she is still working today.

DagonSphere

Potential
I voted for Illyria, mostly because I wish they would have had the opportunity to explore her further. She was such a fascinating character and I loved her relationship with Wesley and I think the fact that her arc got cut short by the cancellation makes Angel's cancellation even more tragic.

That being said, I love Fred and her development throughout the series. She gains a lot of strength without turning into a kickass action hero or a powerful witch. But I think Fred is also a character that is very easy to take for granted.

spikenbuffy

"Why can't I stay"
Staff member
Illyria is interesting, I like Illyria but I just love Fred more so I choose Fred she is adorable and sweet.

Top Bottom