• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Twelve thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Funny dynamic between Spike and Angel

Steven123

Angel's Buddy
Older brother with younger brother basically, always argue always try to outdo one another, will always fight, argue over the same woman, but will always have each others backs

RomanticSoul

Frell Me
Yes! And I'm still bitter that cavemen won. lol
Who said they won? I'm still with the Astronauts. If they are like John Crichton from Farscape, the cavemen are toast. Because they don't need weapons but they can make them from scratch.

I wasn't a fan of the dynamic to be honest. I love AtS for it's serious tone with the humor sprinkled in. And I prefer Angel as a serious adult. Spike tends to bring out the worst in people, and this constantly immature, nagging, and competing Angel got old very fast. It just annoyed after the first 2-3 times the character devolved into this.

Mylie

Scooby
Who said they won? I'm still with the Astronauts. If they are like John Crichton from Farscape, the cavemen are toast. Because they don't need weapons but they can make them from scratch.
I thought the point of A Hole In the World was to show that the cavemen are stronger than the astronauts? With Fred dying from being taken over by a old one and the AI team being unable to save her, despite having all those scientific resources? Anyways, that's how I've always seen it, but maybe I'm wrong.

EarthLogic

Scooby
Black Thorn
I thought the point of A Hole In the World was to show that the cavemen are stronger than the astronauts? With Fred dying from being taken over by a old one and the AI team being unable to save her, despite having all those scientific resources? Anyways, that's how I've always seen it, but maybe I'm wrong.
That's my take on it too. We start the episode with this petty, trivial argument but the resolution of the argument unexpectedly comes through tragedy: the caveman (the ancient and primordial Ilyria) winning over the astronaut (Fred, the representative of science and human intelligence).

RomanticSoul

Frell Me
I don't see it that way. It's ancient magical power vs science in the show's case. And only because the team gets cut off from their own possible magical power (Willow). So it's the cavemen with the weapons that beat the unarmed astronauts. And we are told 'no weapons'.

Literal cavemen had no access to such power. And astronauts have no access to W&H's kind of science. I'm sure they meant that to be the metaphor in the episode but it doesn't work for me. Because the metaphor only works if it applies to our real world and I'm not convinced cavemen would win against astronauts. And it's not like that's something we would ever find out.

DeadlyDuo

Scooby
I I'm not convinced cavemen would win against astronauts.
Well cavemen had to have the physical strength to take down animals to eat whereas Astronauts don't, so I guess the outcome all depends whether the fight favours brains or brawn.

Ethan Reigns

Scooby
Sineya
There is no real correspondence between the old world and cavemen nor the new world and astronauts. BTW astronauts get survival training for landings in every part of the world because some malfunction may cause them to land anywhere and they are usually military officers with combat training to begin with. They have strength and technique on their side. The old world of Illyria was not primitive. It looked to be a civilization like the Egyptians who built the main pyramids just outside of Cairo to the exact pattern of the stars on Orion's belt and got dimensional and directional alignment accurate to fractions of an inch in hundreds of feet. Her old world had buildings with tall columns and lintels and the architecture was ancient but certainly not primitive. In "A Hole in the World" Eve refers to teachings that are more ancient than anything they have ever seen that may predate any written records.

Top Bottom