• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Twelve thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Gage has tweeted.

Mrs Gordo

We fight termites wherever they may roam!
Black Thorn
Yeah I saw this. I like Christos and all but... it would also be nice to get some fresh blood in the mix. Someone who can really mix things up.

(Also selfishly someone who wasn't so pro-spuffy )

Mrs Gordo

Black Thorn
I think he did so well with A&F s9, I think he has a good Angel voice actually. I wish I knew more about his background before joining the writing team for the comics. I'm sure someone out there knows more than I.

But ANYWAY let's all speculate on how Billy Joel's Vienna could have played into a conversation about what is to come in the buffyverse

Slow down you crazy child
You're so ambitious for a juvenile
But then if you're so smart tell me,
Why are you still so afraid? (mmmmm)

Where's the fire, what's the hurry about?
You better cool it off before you burn it out
You got so much to do and only
So many hours in a day (Ay)

But you know that when the truth is told
That you can get what you want
Or you can just get old
You're gonna kick off before you even get halfway through (Oooh)
When will you realize... Vienna waits for you?

Slow down you're doing fine
You can't be everything you want to be before your time
Although it's so romantic on the borderline tonight (tonight)

Too bad, but it's the life you lead
You're so ahead of yourself that you forgot what you need
Though you can see when you're wrong
You know you can't always see when you're right (you're right)

You got your passion, you got your pride
But don't you know that only fools are satisfied?
Dream on, but don't imagine they'll all come true (Oooh)

Slow down you crazy child
Take the phone off the hook and disappear for a while
It's alright, you can afford to lose a day or two (oooh)

And you know that when the truth is told
That you can get what you want or you can just get old
You're gonna kick off before you even get halfway through (oooh)
Why don't you realize... Vienna waits for you?

Taake
Taake
haha, I'm impressed you managed to hold it back!

EarthLogic

"she went as limp as an overcooked piece of pasta"
Black Thorn
I think he did so well with A&F s9, I think he has a good Angel voice actually. I wish I knew more about his background before joining the writing team for the comics. I'm sure someone out there knows more than I.
Apparently he hadn't seen the shows before being asked to write for the comics. He then binge-watched them, which I think is cool, but I'm not sure how much he 'gets' them in terms of character motivations and dynamics. I do remember quite liking A&F though, so maybe he has them down more than I think; the quality of the Angel comics definitely declined after he moved to the Buffy title..

Mrs Gordo

Black Thorn
I guess my tweet to Tim Minear isn't going to shake the world.... we are stuck with these other guys....

Grace

Evil Olive
Black Thorn
I like Christos and all but... it would also be nice to get some fresh blood in the mix. Someone who can really mix things up.

(Also selfishly someone who wasn't so pro-spuffy )
I'm getting to be a broken record with my pessimism, but I honestly think the alternatives would much likely be worse. Other than Joss and the show writers, no comic writers have done as good of a job as Christos. And now that the titles are selling even fewer copies I don't know that they would be as attractive a proposition to other writers.

I am very mixed about a Season 12. Spuffiness aside, I had major philosophical issues with the message of Season 11, which I've banged on about boringly elsewhere. So it depends on where they go with it.

But ANYWAY let's all speculate on how Billy Joel's Vienna could have played into a conversation about what is to come in the buffyverse
I associate this song so much with 13 Going On 30 now, that's all I can think of. Maybe Buffy will finally turn 30? :)

Mrs Gordo

Black Thorn
Ooh you could try tweeting Brian Lynch! Maybe he's shakeable?
Didn't he give us TWILIGHT!??

I had major philosophical issues with the message of Season 11, which I've banged on about boringly elsewhere.
Where did you bang on about this? I want links. If not bang it out here again for me :)

EarthLogic
EarthLogic
No that was Brad Meltzer. Lynch did After the Fall.

Grace

Evil Olive
Black Thorn
Didn't he give us TWILIGHT!??
You are thinking of Brad Meltzer. Brian Lynch is ATF.

Where did you bang on about this? I want links. If not bang it out here again for me :)
Well, since you asked (and you'll probably recognize at least some of this)... I absolutely hated that Buffy agonized over *voluntarily* giving up her powers, but she was willing to take them away from other slayers with only a fig's leaf blessing from Faith. What about the consequences for Satsu and Anaheed and others? Just imagine the reverse montage of what we got in Chosen: Somewhere in the world... a slayer fights a baddie in an alley, when *whoosh* - powers gone. The demon snaps her neck. Elsewhere, a high-school-age slayer fends off a group of bullies targeting a classmate, when *whoosh* - powers gone. She's easily pushed aside as the bullies mercilessly pummel the kid.

If she really had to do it to save the world, fine, but I disliked the way it was handled and I don't think there was enough acknowledgement afterward that it was a very dangerous call. Only the "bad" slayers came to complain afterward, which was super convenient. I disliked that Faith was re-empowered separately off-page and there wasn't a moment where she and Buffy talked about what had happened.

And if the argument is that they just didn't have enough time to go into that all, then sure, but the message it sends still managed to undermine the point of the season to me. The idea, as I understood it, was that it was wrong to take a group of people's power away en masse, even if some of them do bad things or you're afraid of them. Instead, the answer is it's totally OK to take people's power away as long as you're good, and it's wrong to take people's power away if you're a megalomaniac. So if a politician I otherwise approve of takes people's rights away, even temporarily, it's OK?

I know I am in a minority of one on this. I don't expect anyone to agree with me. (Though Christos did say in the Q&A that it's possible there were repercussions. If they follow that storyline, I will be interested in Season 12. Otherwise, I don't know.)

Last edited:
nmcil12
nmcil12
All Great Points - and I totally hated the resolution for Jordan and her Slayer Thugs - zero consequences for the malicious conduct.

Mrs Gordo

Black Thorn
Got it - I'm off to tweet Lynch!

Well, since you asked (and you'll probably recognize at least some of this)... I absolutely hated that Buffy agonized over *voluntarily* giving up her powers, but she was willing to take them away from other slayers with only a fig's leaf blessing from Faith. What about the consequences for Satsu and Anaheed and others? Just imagine the reverse montage of what we got in Chosen: Somewhere in the world... a slayer fights a baddie in an alley, when *whoosh* - powers gone. The demon snaps her neck. Elsewhere, a high-school-age slayer fends off a group of bullies targeting a classmate, when *whoosh* - powers gone. She's easily pushed aside as the bullies mercilessly pummel the kid.

If she really had to do it to save the world, fine, but I disliked the way it was handled and I don't think there was enough acknowledgement afterward that it was a very dangerous call. Only the "bad" slayers came to complain afterward, which was super convenient. I disliked that Faith was re-empowered separately off-page and there wasn't a moment where she and Buffy talked about what had happened.

And if the argument is that they just didn't have enough time to go into that all, then sure, but the message it sends still managed to undermine the point of the season to me. The idea, as I understood it, was that it was wrong to take a group of people's power away en masse, even if some of them do bad things or you're afraid of them. Instead, the answer is it's totally OK to take people's power away as long as you're good, and it's wrong to take people's power away if you're a megalomanic. So if a politician I otherwise approve of takes people's rights away, even temporarily, it's OK?
I wholeheartedly agree and I think it does come down to a matter of not having enough time. But the Buffyverse has always been big on showing us the consequences to our actions and it was strange that they did not show the consequences to this great big disempowering event. In alot of ways I have respected that the comics have been showing us the "fall out" and consequences that came from Buffy empowering all of the slayers. And to take that power away without showing how that affected characters they have introduced us to seems a bit cheap. You bring up a good way they could have addressed this, a montage similar to s7, with women everywhere fighting and suddenly disempowered. And making sure that Buffy knows that she is taking that action. None of our heros are perfect, they are flawed. They are doing the best they can and I don't fault Buffy for taking the power if that was the only way to defeat this BB but just as Angel has to deal with the consequences of the actions he took in ATF, Buffy should do so too. As a general there are always casualties of war from the actions you take and those fall on your shoulders.

And further, I think the idea of taking power away if you are "good" undercuts the argument of a scary authoritarian government. I know the idea of S11 was directed at the current political landscape and what happens when society is afraid and elects a president/legislature that takes broad authoritarian actions to under the auspices of protecting its citizens. And here in this story line you have Buffy doing something similar by taking the power for herself without the reflection for the weight of what she is doing and the, at least, implicit understanding that she will need to give that power back as soon as the job is done.

Here again, I say: This does not sound like Joss. He knows and understands the weight and balance of the actions we take and he shows it to us time and time again. Either he is distracted, or disinterested in the story but I don't feel his presence in the story. And I know I seem to be in the minority here but I do think that if he paid more attention we would be dealing in the moral dilemmas of what Buffy did in s11.

Black Thorn
Hang on... not to be pedantic... but "us" and "single-handedly" really shouldn't be used together in the same sentence. It's like...

If you had a 3-piece band and you named it The Lone Rangers.

Sineya
I don't think Lynch would be interested in working for Dark Horse.

It's good to see that Gage and Joss are getting together, which means Joss is still at least generally directing the plot. I like Gage, he's probably my favorite Buffy comics writer aside from Joss himself. I admit I'd like to see Brian Vaughan or Drew Goddard write some more, but I doubt that will happen, especially now that the comic's circulation is so low.

If they just had Christos and Joss meet this year instead of doing a full writers' summit, it indicates to me that there probably isn't going to be a separate Angel comic anymore. But I don't know that, of course.

Top Bottom