• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:

1. You really should register so you can chat with us!

2. Fourteen thousand people can't be wrong.

3. Buffy-Boards loves you.

4. See 1 through 3.

Come on, register already!

Gal Gadot Confirms Joss Whedon's Threats During 'Justice League' Filming

Buffy Summers

Yataro
Staff member
Sineya

by Andrew Roberts

Gal Gadot confirmed a rumored interaction with director Joss Whedon on the set of Justice League, adding weight to allegations made by co-star Ray Fisher since the film's release. The attention given to Zack Snyder's version of the DC Comics film and its release on HBO Max created renewed interest in the troubled production of the film. Gadot's gripes with Whedon came when he tried to push Wonder Woman in a direction he saw fit.

In a new interview with Israeli outlet N12, Gadot confirms that Whedon tried to big-time her with threats. "He kind of threatened my career and said if I did something, he would make my career miserable and I just took care of it instead," Gadot told the outlet. This follows past comments from the actress but further describes them in ways prior sources had hinted it happened.

As ComicBook notes, Fisher has talked about the overall experience of the Justice League production, both related to himself and his fellow cast members. Talking to The Hollywood Reporter, Fisher remarked that Whedon mocked Gadot and director Patty Jenkins, noting how both had to push to save Wonder Woman from Whedon's decision making.

"The biggest clash, sources say, came when Whedon pushed Gadot to record lines she didn't like, threatened to harm Gadot's career, and disparaged Wonder Woman director Patty Jenkins," a report from THR noted, adding that Gadot has issues with changes to the story and how Wonder Woman was far more aggressive than she had appeared in the solo Wonder Woman film.

Gadot has shown her support for Fisher's accusations in the past and echoed her own revelation, though holding back on some of the specific details. "I'm happy for Ray to go out and speak his truth," Gadot said in an interview with the LA Times. "I wasn't there with the guys when they shot with Joss Whedon – I had my own experience with [him], which wasn't the best one, but I took care of it there and when it happened. I took it to the higher-ups and they took care of it. But I'm happy for Ray to go up and say his truth."

Fisher has been critical of Whedon and several major DC Comics and Warner executives, including Toby Emmerich, Geoff Johns and Jon Berg. He has also laid accusations out against Walter Hamada. Many supported the actor's claims and shared their own experiences, including many from Whedon's past work with Buffy the Vampire Slayer.

Source: Pop Culture

Btvs fan

Scooby

by Andrew Roberts

Gal Gadot confirmed a rumored interaction with director Joss Whedon on the set of Justice League, adding weight to allegations made by co-star Ray Fisher since the film's release. The attention given to Zack Snyder's version of the DC Comics film and its release on HBO Max created renewed interest in the troubled production of the film. Gadot's gripes with Whedon came when he tried to push Wonder Woman in a direction he saw fit.

In a new interview with Israeli outlet N12, Gadot confirms that Whedon tried to big-time her with threats. "He kind of threatened my career and said if I did something, he would make my career miserable and I just took care of it instead," Gadot told the outlet. This follows past comments from the actress but further describes them in ways prior sources had hinted it happened.

As ComicBook notes, Fisher has talked about the overall experience of the Justice League production, both related to himself and his fellow cast members. Talking to The Hollywood Reporter, Fisher remarked that Whedon mocked Gadot and director Patty Jenkins, noting how both had to push to save Wonder Woman from Whedon's decision making.

"The biggest clash, sources say, came when Whedon pushed Gadot to record lines she didn't like, threatened to harm Gadot's career, and disparaged Wonder Woman director Patty Jenkins," a report from THR noted, adding that Gadot has issues with changes to the story and how Wonder Woman was far more aggressive than she had appeared in the solo Wonder Woman film.

Gadot has shown her support for Fisher's accusations in the past and echoed her own revelation, though holding back on some of the specific details. "I'm happy for Ray to go out and speak his truth," Gadot said in an interview with the LA Times. "I wasn't there with the guys when they shot with Joss Whedon – I had my own experience with [him], which wasn't the best one, but I took care of it there and when it happened. I took it to the higher-ups and they took care of it. But I'm happy for Ray to go up and say his truth."

Fisher has been critical of Whedon and several major DC Comics and Warner executives, including Toby Emmerich, Geoff Johns and Jon Berg. He has also laid accusations out against Walter Hamada. Many supported the actor's claims and shared their own experiences, including many from Whedon's past work with Buffy the Vampire Slayer.

Source: Pop Culture

I think if people are expecting Joss Whedon to be un-cancelled after this they are going to be disappointed. It ain't happening

darkspook

Potential
Still no response from him. Can’t hide forever unless he knows his Hollywood career is well and truly over.

Taake

I do doodle. You too. You do doodle, too.
Staff member
Black Thorn
At this point I’m starting to think Joss will stay low while working on a ”it was a really hard period of my life” kind of excuse, with The Nevers cast speaking well of him and pre-Justice League co-workers giving mixed reviews, this seems to pave the way for him to explain it as a bad period that he regrets, or some such.

Gadot comes across pretty cool, all ”I took care of it then and there”. Good for you, girl.

TriBel
TriBel

nancylives

Townie
It just gets worse and worse, or rather he just gets worse and worse. I am so disappointed in Whedon, and fairly angry at his true self. Certainly, as we look back over his work, especially with all of these revelations coming to light, we can see more and more of his true self. Little tidbits in his work that were either lost or glossed over thanks to the efforts of others (actors, other writers) tell a picture that I certainly forgave or rationalized paint a picture of a closeted misogynist. I am extremely angry with Whedon. He betrayed us all, but most especially, he betrayed the very group that he purported to uphold--women and girls. His silence is deafening. What a creep.

But good on Gadot; she handled it and she handled him.

DeadlyDuo

Scooby
Still no response from him. Can’t hide forever unless he knows his Hollywood career is well and truly over.

I think not saying anything is actually the best course of action for Whedon as it means the story will eventually get buried and forgotten as there would be nothing to report on. If he comes out and says stuff publicly, then the story will continue to be public., it's hard to keep a story going if there is no new information.

The Gal Gadot stuff will quickly drift out of the news, she had an issue and she got it sorted then and there. That's it. She's not throwing wild accusations at others, including people who weren't even there for Whedon's Justice League. She's not continually whining about something then not presenting evidence.

Also Whedon has to consider the optics of coming out and saying that Fisher is lying given what Fisher was accusing him of, even though there is no evidence to back up Fisher's claims.

I still feel like this is a case of a) Joss is a jerk and b) actors thinking they have the final say in how things go, which they don't.

Agreed. Joss being a jerk is nothing new, but let's not forget that wasn't what Fisher's original allegations were about. Fisher accused him of something that the independent investigation found no evidence of, so now he's trying to piggyback off of Gadot's genuine issue with Whedon to try and bolster his own story.

When people start referring to a version of events as "his truth"/"her truth"/"my truth" etc, there is always the hint that it is not THE truth. Feelings are not facts.

At this point I’m starting to think Joss will stay low while working on a ”it was a really hard period of my life” kind of excuse, with The Nevers cast speaking well of him and pre-Justice League co-workers giving mixed reviews, this seems to pave the way for him to explain it as a bad period that he regrets, or some such.

There is over a decade between Buffy and Justice League so I don't think Whedon is this absolute monster that Fisher and CC are trying to paint him as. He was a jerk but is he really any different to any other director/show runner in Hollywood? Don't forget Harvey Weinstein got away with his behaviour for years because Hollywood accepted it, it's not like nobody knew what was going on. Whedon is nowhere near Weinstein's level. There is however perhaps a conversation to be had on how actors/actresses are treated in general and what protections can be afforded to them and others to ensure that careers can't be ruined either by false accusations or for saying no to something eg the "casting couch".

I think it's also worth noting that both Fisher and CC liked the person who was running things before Joss took over the respective projects so a lot of it is likely that they were getting preferential treatment which they weren't getting with Joss. When some the claims boil down to (paraphrasing) "Joss wouldn't listen to any of my script suggestions and because I'm black it must be because of racism" or "Joss asked me to turn up and do my job at a set time I didn't like but because I was pregnant, he obviously did it on purpose to screw with me" then it makes both Fisher and CC look like they're throwing a temper tantrum because they didn't get their own way.

I don't care what "his truth" is or what "her truth" is, the only truth I want to know about is THE truth.

Gadot comes across pretty cool, all ”I took care of it then and there”. Good for you, girl.

Gadot had a real case against Whedon and got it sorted. She is telling THE truth.

D
Dora
Of course they are lying including his wife , you can tell that because Joss has said F/all is he scared that if he answer's the allegations there is more to come out ? and that may make things only worse for him

Taake

I do doodle. You too. You do doodle, too.
Staff member
Black Thorn
it makes both Fisher and CC look like they're throwing a temper tantrum because they didn't get their own way.

I know you have a bee in your bonnet about this and like to throw "temper tantrum" around a lot, so discussing this is kind of moot at this point, and while I personally don't feel much for the claims made by either of these two particular actors, I don't think it is fair to just accuse them of throwing a tantrum because they didn't get their own way. They had a bad experience working with him, maybe they didn't handle it in the same way as Gal Gadot did, but few actors have her clout and can get the attention of the higher ups because they are, crudely put, not inherently essential and are easily replaced. That's the nature of the business, doesn't mean they should put up with shit just because it's not Weinstein levels of abuse.

I think a lot of outrage around Whedon is fabricated or exaggerated because it is kind of a thing now to hate him, it is like people have almost been waiting for a reason to do so, which is interesting in a way, but that doesn't mean that actors should shut up and take whatever. Perhaps it needed to be said, and aired, that Whedon is a jerk on set, or at least that he can be, and that it is worth hearing the complaints with an open mind because it is kind of strange to rank grievances, like "it has to be Weinstein levels or it is not worth attention", "it has to be a casting couch or shut up", a bad work environment comes in different forms and it is getting away with just being a jerk that can lead to far worse behaviors down the line.

When people start referring to a version of events as "his truth"/"her truth"/"my truth" etc, there is always the hint that it is not THE truth. Feelings are not facts.

A lot of people feel that way, and whenever I hear someone say "I'm glad for X to speak his/her truth" it just kind of sounds to me like a polite distancing of themselves from the situation, basically it is fence sitting, not denying what person X is saying, but also not validating what they're saying.

That said,

I don't care what "his truth" is or what "her truth" is, the only truth I want to know about is THE truth.

Gadot had a real case against Whedon and got it sorted. She is telling THE truth.

Based on what is known about her issues with him they sound similar to Fisher's to me. So if her case was real, then I would say so is his. The difference is the handling of it. You feel it is a better truth claim because you agree with her way of going about it, others feel differently, I'm not sure either side can claim the definite facts of the situation with the certainty that seems to flourish in online agreements.

Sineya
I think not saying anything is actually the best course of action for Whedon as it means the story will eventually get buried and forgotten as there would be nothing to report on. If he comes out and says stuff publicly, then the story will continue to be public., it's hard to keep a story going if there is no new information.

The Gal Gadot stuff will quickly drift out of the news, she had an issue and she got it sorted then and there. That's it. She's not throwing wild accusations at others, including people who weren't even there for Whedon's Justice League. She's not continually whining about something then not presenting evidence.

Also Whedon has to consider the optics of coming out and saying that Fisher is lying given what Fisher was accusing him of, even though there is no evidence to back up Fisher's claims.

Agreed. Joss being a jerk is nothing new, but let's not forget that wasn't what Fisher's original allegations were about. Fisher accused him of something that the independent investigation found no evidence of, so now he's trying to piggyback off of Gadot's genuine issue with Whedon to try and bolster his own story.

There is over a decade between Buffy and Justice League so I don't think Whedon is this absolute monster that Fisher and CC are trying to paint him as. He was a jerk but is he really any different to any other director/show runner in Hollywood? Don't forget Harvey Weinstein got away with his behavior for years because Hollywood accepted it, it's not like nobody knew what was going on. Whedon is nowhere near Weinstein's level. There is however perhaps a conversation to be had on how actors/actresses are treated in general and what protections can be afforded to them and others to ensure that careers can't be ruined either by false accusations or for saying no to something eg the "casting couch".

I think it's also worth noting that both Fisher and CC liked the person who was running things before Joss took over the respective projects so a lot of it is likely that they were getting preferential treatment which they weren't getting with Joss. When some the claims boil down to (paraphrasing) "Joss wouldn't listen to any of my script suggestions and because I'm black it must be because of racism" or "Joss asked me to turn up and do my job at a set time I didn't like but because I was pregnant, he obviously did it on purpose to screw with me" then it makes both Fisher and CC look like they're throwing a temper tantrum because they didn't get their own way.

The problem with Joss asking her to turn up to work AT 1 AM was that she was very stressed and experiencing Braxton Hicks contractions due to that stress. Also, the guy literally asked her whether "she was going to keep it", which is just incredibly rude and offensive. Michelle Trachtenberg also literally implied that Joss made sexual and inappropriate jokes when she was in the room. Keep in mind that the poor girl was 14 YEARS OLD when he started doing that. Disgusting. And then there is the whole thing about him BOASTING about how he made female writers cry. Female writers, specifically. Oh, and remember the time he apparently sent Sarah Gellar crying to her trailer. The woman is like STEEL, and he somehow managed to make her cry by most likely saying something pretty darn awful to her. I mean, no wonder she doesn't turn up to conventions. She obviously didn't have a great time there, and it has been suggested in the past that Joss himself in behind that. Who cares if he's "not as bad as Harvey Weinstein". The guy is a terrible comparison. He's completely sick to his rotten little soul. Joss may "not be as bad", but that doesn't mean that he's not a complete arsehole and that he doesn't DESERVE to even be near actors, let alone female minors. He's not an "absolute monster" like Weinstein, but he's still effing twisted.

TriBel

Scooby
Feelings are not facts.
It's a "fact" Spike called Buffy "an animal" in bed. The truth for her was it was an insult and she was hurt by it. I'm pretty sure if he'd used the same phrase to Faith she'd have accepted it as a compliment and she'd have been flattered. Who are you (who are any of us) to say what does and doesn't upset other people?

DeadlyDuo

Scooby
The problem with Joss asking her to turn up to work AT 1 AM was that she was very stressed and experiencing Braxton Hicks contractions due to that stress.

Acting is not a 9-5 job and pregnancy doesn't prevent someone from saying lines. Whether CC was stressed or not, she would be expected to turn up and do her job. The 1am call time would've been for a reason, not just because Joss wanted to screw with CC. There would've been a lot of other people that would also have had that 1am start eg director, co-stars, camera crew, hair and make up etc, it wasn't all about CC.

Michelle Trachtenberg also literally implied that Joss made sexual and inappropriate jokes when she was in the room. Keep in mind that the poor girl was 14 YEARS OLD when he started doing that. Disgusting.

MT did more than that. She implied that Joss was sexually inappropriate with her when he wasn't. That's bad form on her part, more so because she made her comments then didn't clarify them when people started to interpret them a particular way. Nobody deserves to be accused of something as serious as that when they are innocent of such behaviour.

Joss is a jerk, there's no denying that, but there's a massive difference between him being a jerk and him being a sexual predator (MT's claims) and being a racist (Fisher's claims).

His behaviour towards Gadot was bad which is why the higher ups at WB dealt with it as soon as Gadot brought it to their attention. However, there has been a lot of band wagon jumping from the Buffy cast and you can tell which cast members had no issue with Whedon at all but had to be diplomatic with their responses because they can't be seen to outright support him otherwise they might become the target of the hate mob

There is almost 17+ years between Buffy/Angel and Justice League. There have been issues between individuals and Whedon, it doesn't seem like Whedon is an asshole on every set he's on.

It's a "fact" Spike called Buffy "an animal" in bed. The truth for her was it was an insult and she was hurt by it. I'm pretty sure if he'd used the same phrase to Faith she'd have accepted it as a compliment and she'd have been flattered. Who are you (who are any of us) to say what does and doesn't upset other people?

Spike meant it as a compliment, that is a fact. Buffy feeling hurt by it because of the issues she was dealing with at the time doesn't change the fact that Spike was trying to give her a compliment. Buffy is entitled to feel how she feels about Spike's comment but the objective truth is that Spike wasn't insulting her, he was trying to compliment her sexual prowess in bed.

It would be like if a woman goes to an interview for a job she really wants but she doesn't get it. She might feel that she got rejected because she was a woman, but the objective truth is that there was a better candidate that the employer preferred. The woman feels like she was discriminated against but she wasn't. She's entitled to feel how she feels, what she's not entitled to do is then start accusing the employer of sexism just because she's a woman who didn't get the job she wanted.

TriBel

Scooby
but the objective truth is that there was a better candidate that the employer preferred.
And how do you establish this "objective truth"? Fair enough if there's a huge discrepancy in qualifications/experience but what if there isn't? How do you account for preference?
Spike meant it as a compliment, that is a fact.
It doesn't matter what Spike intended (that's not a fact...you can only make that argument because you witnessed it*). Spike can't prove he intended it as a compliment. His intent can't be "tested". You could argue it was deliberate - intended to bring her down to his level (there's precedent). Some women like wolf whistles...others don't. People respond differently because, as you said, their background experiences are different.

*I think it was meant to be a compliment.

DeadlyDuo

Scooby
And how do you establish this "objective truth"? Fair enough if there's a huge discrepancy in qualifications/experience

Let's say there is. Point is "her truth" is that she was discriminated against, THE truth is that she wasn't and that there there was just a better more qualified candidate that got the job.

Truth should be factual, not interpretive.

but what if there isn't? How do you account for preference?

This is where things get murky. It's a bit like Shrodinger's cat. People have their preferences in every aspect of life, the problem is when negative traits get assigned to disliking something that ticks a certain box by another person or liking something that doesn't tick a box.

For example, most people hate Kennedy. There are plenty of reasons to dislike Kennedy. However, what happens when someone accuses people who dislike Kennedy of being homophobic because Kennedy is a lesbian and thus that is why people don't like her. Which "truth" is the objective truth? The person making the accusations believes that Kennedy haters are homophobic because that is their "truth". The Kennedy haters say that Kennedy being a lesbian has nothing to do with why they hate her. So who is telling THE truth?

T
thrasherpix
I've heard that "homophobe" accusation for being against Kennedy and it made no sense since it was typically in thinking Willow deserved better, and the same criticism wasn't present for Tara who may have even been cherished by the same viewer

r2dh2

Never go for the kill when you can go for the pain
Spike meant it as a compliment, that is a fact. Buffy feeling hurt by it because of the issues she was dealing with at the time doesn't change the fact that Spike was trying to give her a compliment. Buffy is entitled to feel how she feels about Spike's comment but the objective truth is that Spike wasn't insulting her, he was trying to compliment her sexual prowess in bed.

It would be like if a woman goes to an interview for a job she really wants but she doesn't get it. She might feel that she got rejected because she was a woman, but the objective truth is that there was a better candidate that the employer preferred. The woman feels like she was discriminated against but she wasn't. She's entitled to feel how she feels, what she's not entitled to do is then start accusing the employer of sexism just because she's a woman who didn't get the job she wanted.

Just a quick FYI, there's something called Statistical Discrimination ( https://economics.mit.edu/files/553 ) and recent literature has implemented randomized field experiments to test it in the context of labor markets in the USA, showing that employers do use certain observable (protected) characteristics to make hiring decisions. I won't go over it, but I just wanted to share the fact that unless there's enough information we cannot conclusively say that there was or wasn't discrimination. It's a topic hard to study. If interested, look at Orchestrating Impartiality: The Impact of "Blind" Auditions on Female Musicians (Orchestrating Impartiality: The Impact of "Blind" Auditions on Female Musicians - American Economic Association). Although, it seems that new field experiments should be run to confirm previous resutls from my quick glance in google. But that's the general idea of how to test it.

Edit: I won't get into the discussion. I only wanted to share the information for those interested. It is a fascinating topic.

Btvs fan

Scooby
The SMG feud we know is real. There was a literal verbal feud in interviews between her husband and JW. Before that there had been shots about Cruel Intentions.
She was not a friend of CC so I don't think you can say she was doing it out of solidarity.

There was also Amber Benson. She said the set was toxic and its clear the real reason she didn't want to come back for for CWDP was because of Whedon.

You've also got Claire Kraemer too. They all add up to things not being great with Whedon.

Cheese Slices

A Bidet of Evil
There was also Amber Benson. She said the set was toxic and its clear the real reason she didn't want to come back for for CWDP was because of Whedon.
I think AB's comment was the most damning one, and the phrasing seemed to indicate that it was bigger than just telling a couple of mean jokes, though I don't think it ever went to monstrous levels either. But yeah, saying that many of them (the cast & crew) are still processing what happened 20+ years later gives the whole affair a lot more weight.
As for him not making any statement, I imagine he has PR people telling him to do just that. At this point there's nothing he can say that is going to make things better for him. He's just waiting for things to blow over, as they inevitably will.

Sineya
Acting is not a 9-5 job and pregnancy doesn't prevent someone from saying lines. Whether CC was stressed or not, she would be expected to turn up and do her job. The 1am call time would've been for a reason, not just because Joss wanted to screw with CC. There would've been a lot of other people that would also have had that 1am start eg director, co-stars, camera crew, hair and make up etc, it wasn't all about CC.

MT did more than that. She implied that Joss was sexually inappropriate with her when he wasn't. That's bad form on her part, more so because she made her comments then didn't clarify them when people started to interpret them a particular way. Nobody deserves to be accused of something as serious as that when they are innocent of such behaviour.

Joss is a jerk, there's no denying that, but there's a massive difference between him being a jerk and him being a sexual predator (MT's claims) and being a racist (Fisher's claims).

His behaviour towards Gadot was bad which is why the higher ups at WB dealt with it as soon as Gadot brought it to their attention. However, there has been a lot of band wagon jumping from the Buffy cast and you can tell which cast members had no issue with Whedon at all but had to be diplomatic with their responses because they can't be seen to outright support him otherwise they might become the target of the hate mob

There is almost 17+ years between Buffy/Angel and Justice League. There have been issues between individuals and Whedon, it doesn't seem like Whedon is an asshole on every set he's on.

Honestly, we do not know what went behind the scenes. I'm starting to even wonder whether we should even be discussing it, when we don't even know the actual facts or have any evidence that what they are saying (apart from Kai Cole and Gal Gadot - his ex-wife knows him the best and I believe everything she says - he's not a feminist in any sense of the word AND he did sleep with someone from the Buffy cast. That's a fact, but who....? Personally, I don't even want to know)

For all WE know, they are either a) exaggerating b) trying to frame Joss Whedon c) understating the whole thing - it could be worse than what they are claiming
d) or saying the actual truth. Thing is, we. do. not. know. And maybe we never will.

Top Bottom