• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Twelve thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Gender Bending and Race Swapping Fictional Characters

DeadlyDuo

Scooby
In a world of divisive identity politics and an increasingly "woke" Hollywood, it's becoming trendy to race swap or gender bend characters from how they were depicted in their source material. Whether this be the original movie/television show, comics or books, Hollywood likes to "update" these characters to promote "diversity". They've done this to the Doctor in Doctor Who by turning him into a woman, there's calls for a female James Bond, and with the trend of reboots that Hollywood tends to churn out, more fictional characters are likely to fall victim to this. Even the proposed Buffy reboot seemed to centre around the fact the new Buffy was going to be black rather than any legitimate reason to reboot the show. Whilst there are examples where a race swap has worked out well eg Samuel L Jackson as Nick Fury (which was based more on the actor's ability rather than a deliberate effort to use his skin colour for "woke" points), there does come a point where a change in gender or race of a character is a blatant attempt at "wokeness" which can then backfire as an effect of "Go Woke, Go Broke". This then upsets certain groups of people who then claim it's because audiences are "racist" or "misogynist" etc rather than accepting the fact that it was a stupid decision and people didn't like it.

Is there any fictional characters who may appear/reappear on-screen in some capacity, who you think shouldn't have their race and/or gender changed from their source material?

Is there any fictional characters who may appear/reappear on-screen in some capacity, who you think could/should have their race and/or gender changed from their source material?

Priceless

Scooby
I don't think this is particularly new. I'm re-watching Battlestar Galactica from 2004 and of course Starbuck was re-imagined as a female character. I like the idea and I think it did make the show a little more progressive for it's time and changed the dynamics of the relationships. But the sexism and male-gaze is still very much catered for, so I'm not convinced how much the sex of the characters changes the storytelling, if making a feminist statement (or any 'statement') isn't central to your writing.

Top Bottom