• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:

1. You really should register so you can chat with us!

2. Fourteen thousand people can't be wrong.

3. Buffy-Boards loves you.

4. See 1 through 3.

Come on, register already!

Getting the Covid-19 Vaccine? Yes or No

What are your feelings about the vaccination?

• Yes!!! I can't wait!

Votes: 7 14.3%
  • I guess I'll get it, but I'm wary

Votes: 6 12.2%
  • I'm waiting a bit

Votes: 4 8.2%
  • I've suddenly become an anti-vaccer

Votes: 3 6.1%
  • I've always been an anti-vaccer

Votes: 1 2.0%
  • Already got it, best decision ever!

Votes: 27 55.1%
  • Work/government made me get it

Votes: 1 2.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
M

M

So, what's your attitude about the vaccine? Getting it/not getting it? Tell me what you think. Are you required where you work/live?

Ethan Reigns

Scooby
Sineya
I got the first shot of Moderna on March 31 and the second shot is scheduled for July 21. Very mild soreness on the two days after the shot but this could all be ignored.

Reactions: M

thrasherpix

Scooby
I've gotten both, but my feelings and factors are complex on it. While I pretty much disregard the anti-vax movement (though there are certainly problems in the medical establishment all across the board, it's actually surreal to me that they don't focus on those problems), I understand why people are unusually nervous about this one.

And around these parts it's been so dysfunctional on the corporate and government level with plentiful of bad side effects for way more than was said that I'm not sure I will ever cooperate again. That said, I fear incompetence more than conspiracy/malice (at least on a general scale, and there's a dark history that I'm sure is still going on, but about every social institution in existence has its members feign shock while promising change and then doesn't deliver unless you count the measures they take to make sure the public doesn't find out so easily the next time, rinse, repeat, be it government, religious, or business--heck, countless individuals do the same thing in their own lives).

As it is, people I live and work closely with are getting it and it's convenient, less awkward, as a result. And a side job (but one I might become partners in, that is if I remain in the area which becomes increasingly doubtful) is talking of starting up again, and requires it. It's my favorite job.

I don't know if I'll cooperate again. If a certain deal goes through in which all 3 of us have skills that can make moving out to the boonies work, we'll all be taking our chances next time (but the way I see it you take your chances no matter what you do in cases like this). Being out in the boonies and mostly self-sufficient would make any such plagues easier to avoid anyway.

Last edited:

Taake

I do doodle. You too. You do doodle, too.
Staff member
Black Thorn
I would say 1 and 2 - yes! Can’t wait! But I am also a bit wary. Though the only person I know who’s gotten particularly noticeable side effects has an auto-immune disorder and a lot of other issues, and even she was mostly fine, so I am slightly less wary than I was a couple of months ago.

TriBel

Scooby
So, what's your attitude about the vaccine? Getting it/not getting it? Tell me what you think. Are you required where you work/live?
I've had both mine as have almost all my family and friends (AZ/Pfizer) - my brother had both his back in January because he's NHS. I had mild flu-like symptoms for a day - as did one son but that's all - no one's grown two heads. As the UK stands at the moment, I don't think anyone - Gov or employee - can enforce it but I suspect regulation / coercion will come in some shape or other. TBH, I'm guessing much of it will come down to something as mundane as insurance. Brighton Pride's been called off because they couldn't get (cancellation?) insurance.

I've never been anti-vaxxer. If they want me to join the ranks now I need something more plausible than the theories that abound at the moment. I get the impression the movement here is led by people I'd edge away from in the pub. They say "sheepies" a lot and many don't know the difference between their/there/they're (I hold people to high standards 😄 ). However, I was slightly more wary with this - partly because of the unknowability of long-term effects but also because of the press coverage. TBH, both the UK and the EU have spent so much time point scoring that it's difficult to make an informed decision. God knows what would've happened if fish had been a vital ingredient. 🙄

Priceless

Scooby
I've had my first shot of the AZ, felt a bit rough for a day, headache and achey arm, nothing major. Happy to get the jab and feel safer. It won't stop me getting Covid, but it will lessen the symptoms, so I'm happy. My second shot is in June, but I think they're trying to move the dates forward, which is fine by me.

I find it difficult to understand why people wouldn't get the jab if I'm honest. I think it's a foolhardy hill to die on, but I wouldn't force people if they really didn't want it, though I'd try everything to gently persuade them.

TriBel
TriBel
Yeah...that's roughly how I felt with the AZ.

nightshade

Your grandfather is a cat
Staff member
Black Thorn
I'll get it, but I am a bit wary, I know people that have been quite ill afterwards but I also know others that were completely fine.
My mother is a twin (claims identical, but I don't see it!) and was fine, but her sister was ill with it, which does make me wonder why some people react but others don't.

TriBel

Scooby
My mother is a twin (claims identical, but I don't see it!) and was fine, but her sister was ill with it, which does make me wonder why some people react but others don't.
One of my twins has had both (AZ) - the other has yet to have his first. I'm not entirely sure whether they're identical but they're different in personalities. I'll wait and see what the result is if the second twin has the AZ. My mother had the Pfizer and had nothing other than a sore arm with the second jab. Believe me, my mother is neurotic about her health...if there'd been the slightest symptom she'd have grasped it with both hands. I'm the opposite and was adamant I wasn't going to experience any side effects - I was wrong.

Mr Trick

Scooby
None the opitons really fit me. I'm relieved that we got the vaccine and the rollout has been effective (all the credit goes to the NHS and the scientsts and none to our corrupt useless government). Nothing's ever 100% of course, I know there was concerns Britian rushed it through, but it seems to be working mostly well and on balance its best to get it than not. I go for my second shot on Monday. It looks like that another wave is coming, so I don't think we're in the clear just yet, but luckily it shouldn't be as bad as the previous ones.

TriBel
TriBel
Yeah...give credit where credit's due (and not to those trying to take it) - the UK's roll-out has been impressive. My brother's involved in it for the North West and he's working 7 days a week.
M

M

I've always willingly gotten every kind of vaccine available, from the polio shot to the yearly flu shot. Because I mess with wild animals a lot, I even routinely get a few extras that everyone else doesn't have to worry about, and I always make sure my animals are vaccinated. I have always had zero in common with anti-vaxers, generally thought of them as nut-jobs, and was more than happy to watch natural selection take place in real-time. However, with regards to the new vaccine, I find myself joining their ranks.

I live in a fairly remote area, work from home (even before Covid), and am generally introverted in real-life. My family have been exposed to Covid several times in the last year, but we're exposed while wearing masks and glasses, and have remained safe. Personally, I feel that process must be working to some degree, and I will continue like this until I start feeling better about the vaccines. Until, then, though, I don't feel this vaccine has been treated with the same caution others before it have, and won't be getting it any time soon.

T
thrasherpix
I understand. Back when I volunteered to work with the homeless I had to get many vaccines, all provided free of charge, and I considered it a perk. This one I was nervous about...and after the experience I'll be even more wary in the future

Hunga Munga

Scooby
Most my real world friends are hippy antivaxers ...long before Covid , Q or the internet . I am about as far from them as you could possibly be. I have at least half an hours worth of solid material to roast them with ...built up over years of workshopping /drunken abuse :p . I can't use that material again until after Covid . All a bit charged at the moment

I think most would submit to vaccination if they needed to . I'm pretty sure one would hold out , even at the cost of her own interests .

I think attaching vaccination status to international travel is the right thing to do , but I know it won't go down well in the UK . We're still coming to terms with our useless British passports , another crimp on our liberty is too soon really .

The takeup in the UK has been pretty damn good though . We may get to a level organically where we don't need to trample freedoms to give 'herd immunity' a proper try .

Personally I consider the vaccines as a lot less risky than the illness . Looking forward to my second shot . I had Covid , I don't want it again . :)

I really want to go out to eat streetfood . I want to go to India . I need a buttload of dental work . I want these things pretty bad . I'll take whatever jabs will get me there , boosters , the full monty :p .

M

M

I really want to go out to eat streetfood . I want to go to India . I need a buttload of dental work . I want these things pretty bad . I'll take whatever jabs will get me there , boosters , the full monty :p .
We never shut down completely where I live. I've been getting dental work, going to medical appointments, shopping in stores, visiting with friends. We've even had a party. Everyone is socially distanced, wearing masks, we limited our group, and have rearranged the house to accommodate Covid precautions.

I do think I also had Covid very early on. My father was exposed to a man at work who had just returned from a cruise in December 2019. The man nearly died (no prior health conditions) and no one could figure out why he was doing so poorly. News about Covid didn't come about until mid-February of 2020. By that time, and not long after my dad's coworker was sent to the hospital, my family and I all came down with a terrible illness. I could barely stand without getting out of breath and ended up sleeping for days. Afterwards, my heart felt weak for months, and my hair fell out by the handfuls. Coincidence? Maybe. I've never had an antibodies test, and there really isn't anywhere for me to do so, but I'll assume I haven't had it all the same.

LemonBanana

Glorious Purpose
Sineya
Im too young to have it just yet, but most of my family has had it and are very glad and if offered, i will get it! One of my aunties that no one likes is the only one that doesnt want it because she thinks the government has put Nanos in it haha. I dont know how affective the vaccine is with this new Indian variant though...

Reactions: M

Dogs of Winter

Potential
I tend to get the flu vac every year so dont have a problem with vacs in general but am a little wary of how quickly these have been developed and rushed into circulation. However not enough to stop me getting it. I think this is one of those times when you have to make your decision based on what is best for society not just yourself. And if it means I can meet family and friends and go to the pub and concerts again I am all for it

I have had my first one (AZ) and woke up about 1.30 in the morning absolutely freezing and then couldnt warm up or get back to sleep. I felt awful the next day but then about 8pm I suddenly felt ok so its not exactly a big price to pay
I have been told that the stronger your reaction the better your immune system and I never get ill normally so am happy to believe that. Although it is probably just something made up by people who have had a bad reaction to make themselves feel better :)

Got to give credit for the speed of the rollout in the UK (assuming more to do with the NHS than the govt)

Still not sure though why we have ordered 360m doses for a country of 65m when there are other countries struggling to get hold of enough doses

M

M

I think this is one of those times when you have to make your decision based on what is best for society not just yourself.
Normally I would agree with this, but quite a few people died after the vaccine not far from here. That elevated the risk level considerably for me. I don't owe society that much, but I will continue to wear my mask and isolate as much as possible since I am not getting it.

TriBel

Scooby
Still not sure though why we have ordered 360m doses for a country of 65m when there are other countries struggling to get hold of enough doses
Any we don't need we can put on Ebay. Someone's got to pay for that wallpaper. 😄
but quite a few people died after the vaccine not far from here. That elevated the risk level considerably for me.
Lots of people died after having the vaccine - FDA requires healthcare providers report any death after COVID-19 vaccination to VAERS. It doesn't necessarily mean they died from the vaccine. Same here (though we give them a yellow card, which probably means we're arguing over the video replay 😒). That said, I think there's a diminishing return if you're under 35. Don't you have the choice of vaccines? AZ/Johnson seem to be the ones that figure most strongly in the blood clots with low platelets scenario. Can't you chose Pfizer or Moderna? I think the UK's giving a choice to under 40s.

Mr. Pointy

A sharp stick - it's true
Watcher
Black Thorn
I've had my first one (Team AZ!) and get the second shot in a couple of weeks. I had a sore arm for a few days after the injection but that was my only noticeable side-effect.

TriBel
TriBel
On the plus side, I didn't get a sore arm!
V
VampireSlayer07
Sore arm for a few days for me. It could have been worse, and so could catching covid.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom