• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.
  • Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Twelve thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Giles post season 5

I think they pretty much destroyed his character.......The Giles in S7 was almost unrecognisable as the amiable British Watcher of the earlier seasons......
I agree. The man who had a "father's love" for Buffy, to the point he went against the Watchers Council in order to help her, suddenly turns his back on her when she needs him most then takes part in a mutiny which results in her being kicked out of her own house.

PaulParmar1

Spuffy Forever
Sineya
I think they pretty much destroyed his character.......The Giles in S7 was almost unrecognisable as the amiable British Watcher of the earlier seasons......
I gotta agree! He turned his back on Buffy when her own mom died & her father turned her back on her too & it was just poor to see Giles make so many bad decisions.

Puppet

Shh! I'm watching my favorite show.
Black Thorn
I was just watching Consequences yesterday and realized that S3 Giles is the very best Giles has ever been.

And, yes, Giles become very unlikable after S5, which sucks. Why do writers feel the need to destroy characters for the sake of plot? They obviously have no respect for their intelligent viewers.

WillowFromBuffy

Extra flamy candles!
Why do writers feel the need to destroy characters for the sake of plot? They obviously have no respect for their intelligent viewers.
Us stupid viewers feel so privileged :p

Giles was very funny in S3, but I always found him unlikable. S3 was when he drugged Buffy for the Cruciamentum.

thetopher

Member of the Church Of Faith
Sineya
I actually don't have much of a problem with S6 Giles; he was in most of the best episodes that season, and I cheered his return in 'Graves'. That's the one where he saves Willow from herself btw.

But S7...yeah, not a lot to like here; not that his being out of character in any way justifies Buffy's subsequent behavior; Buffy has always learned to take or leave Giles advice/suggestions whenever it suited her.

PaulParmar1

Spuffy Forever
Sineya
I was just watching Consequences yesterday and realized that S3 Giles is the very best Giles has ever been.

And, yes, Giles become very unlikable after S5, which sucks. Why do writers feel the need to destroy characters for the sake of plot? They obviously have no respect for their intelligent viewers.
Exactly. Season 2 and Season 3 Giles and Season 6/Season 7 Giles are two completely different people. I understand Anthony wanted to leave but it's like Joss punished him & his character for that

I just feel like all Joss had to do was have Giles leave due to extenuating circumstances due to The Watcher's Council. It could have been tied to the First Evil.
Him leaving Buffy when she needed him the most was in Gile speak "rubbish."
It was so OOC. I was really sad when he did this because it made me dislike one of my most liked characters on BtVS. I like to try to explain away what he did, but all I can come up with is selfishness to leave who is basically his daughter during what you could say is the worst time of her life.

And well s7, everyone is a little OOC, so I give him a break that season.

MarieVampSlayer

Slayer musk: It's bitter and aggravating!
Sineya
I will always love Giles because I was so invested in his character and his dynamic with Buffy that I always find redeeming qualities for him in the later seasons. However, I do find it hard to understand the writers intend with him past S5. Couldn't they find a good reason for Giles to leave in S6 that would not include abandoning your ''daughter'' in a time of need? I never understood why Giles felt Buffy needed to grow-up faster after her mom had died. She was 20 years old and he except her to be the subtitute mother to Dawn right away? Couldn't he helped her gain her confiance and leave when she felt ready (and not depressed?).

As for season 7, the fact that he helped Wood behing Buffy's back made no sense. After his betrayal in S3, he would never do that. S7 Giles should have been a mentor for Dawn to become a watcher after all the others died. He should have been co-general with Buffy to help train the potentials and make strategies with the other scoobies. What we got was just meh and I barely remember Giles' role in this season.

PaulParmar1

Spuffy Forever
Sineya
I will always love Giles because I was so invested in his character and his dynamic with Buffy that I always find redeeming qualities for him in the later seasons. However, I do find it hard to understand the writers intend with him past S5. Couldn't they find a good reason for Giles to leave in S6 that would not include abandoning your ''daughter'' in a time of need? I never understood why Giles felt Buffy needed to grow-up faster after her mom had died. She was 20 years old and he except her to be the subtitute mother to Dawn right away? Couldn't he helped her gain her confiance and leave when she felt ready (and not depressed?).

As for season 7, the fact that he helped Wood behing Buffy's back made no sense. After his betrayal in S3, he would never do that. S7 Giles should have been a mentor for Dawn to become a watcher after all the others died. He should have been co-general with Buffy to help train the potentials and make strategies with the other scoobies. What we got was just meh and I barely remember Giles' role in this season.
Yes I agree. Giles could've been written out much better and the motivations of his character could've been much better in Season 7.

Buffy -- scrapes gum off fast food tables, nightly patrols in cemeteries & sewers, taken sexual advantage of by a 150 year old soulless demon, daily struggle not to commit suicide since she has full memory of being a spirit outside of space-time

Giles -- rides his horses in the English countryside when not sipping tea and reading his first edition leatherbound books in one of several houses he owns, probably hooking up with Olivia when not resenting Buffy for Jenny's death