• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Twelve thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Gillette Commercial

Buffy Summers

Yataro
Staff member
Sineya
So this one is all over the media, Gillette's new ad decrying "toxic masculinity", which has been taken pretty badly by consumers who feel it's (another) attack on men:

My question is, how do you allow men to be men but at the same time teach them to stand up for others who are being bullied, and not engage in "wolf whistling" like behavior? Personally, the "all men are terrible because this is Lifetime" mindset must stop, but there are things that we need to be teaching our children not to do. I think there are a couple good things in the ad, but it belongs more in a PSA than a razor commercial.

Spanky

Zexy Mercenary
Black Thorn
See... maybe this is why I am not in charge of marketing for a major company but... if I were, to get the same message across while being a little (or a lot) more lightedharded about it. I would have simply went with something like this "Men. Having a dick doesn't mean you have to be one. Be nice. Shave responsibly"

Buffy Summers
Buffy Summers
Maybe Gillette should hire you :D
brinkster130
brinkster130
They should steal that.

Spanky

Zexy Mercenary
Black Thorn
which has been taken pretty badly by consumers who feel it's (another) attack on men
Places I was reading on it over the last few days are applauding it, while saying the majority of people think this message is long overdue and laughing at the men who find it 'preachy' saying "what are terrible men left to shave with now", etc.

brinkster130

Riley's BFF
Staff member
Sineya
The outrage and the applause this ad is getting are equally amusing.

Spanky
Spanky
Dearest Brinkstar... I like Buffy's idea better. $$$ gooder than being ripped off.

Buffy Summers

Yataro
Staff member
Sineya
Places I was reading on it over the last few days are applauding it, while saying the majority of people think this message is long overdue and laughing at the men who find it 'preachy' saying "what are terrible men left to shave with now", etc.
Yeah except that if you look at the likes and dislikes its 263 thousand likes to 641 thousand dislikes . Of course the media are going to say most people like it...doesn't make it true lol

But saying that any man who think that's wrong is "terrible" is exactly the problem we have today: if you don't like x then you are bad. Rather than asking why men feel that way.

Octavia

My arse is not pansy!
Sineya
but it belongs more in a PSA than a razor commercial.
Meanwhile in Australia... it is a PSA

Australian Government rallies to cease 'boys will be boys' behaviour in anti-domestic violence campaign

The Gillette advert is much more flowery. I am not on board with products teaching the public safe and ethical behaviour. I don't want to go off on an unrelated rant but I bet a few know what I am getting at here (not real interested in discussing it at length, been there done that).

It seems like clever marketing intended to create a row among consumers. Any publicity is good publicity?

W

WillowFromBuffy

Gillette, I thought we were bros, man! For years, you've been telling me that using your razors turns me into literal James Bond ... and now this? Et tu, Brute?

ILLYRIAN
ILLYRIAN
Maybe if I didn't get shaver rash

Buffy Summers

Yataro
Staff member
Sineya
It seems like clever marketing intended to create a row among consumers. Any publicity is good publicity?
Oh, absolutely. But my question still stands, how do you let men be men but at the same time get rid of the actual harmful behavior?

I liked the first PSA you posted but not the second. The second one reads like he accidentally ran into her, not like he intentionally pushed her down.

Spanky

Zexy Mercenary
Black Thorn
Reposted from CNN emphasis adde by Spanky.

New York (CNN Business)Last year, Procter & Gamble won an Emmy award for "The Talk," an ad showing African-American parents discussing racism with their young children. It didn't promote a product. The ad was released as part of the company's "My Black is Beautiful" campaign. A new P&G ad for Gillette this week comes from the same socially conscious playbook, and asks men to take a look at their own toxic masculinity. It's not unusual for P&G advertisements to address social issues rather than plug products. More companies may soon follow suit, because customers want to see strong stands on politically charged topics like race, immigration, gay rights, guns and the environment.

"The 'woke' business strategy will be big theme in 2019, as that's where the money is," said Scott Galloway, founder of the business research firm Gartner L2 and a professor of marketing at New York University Stern School of Business. P&G is trying to position itself as a brand that can connect with younger consumers looking for companies that align with their beliefs. "P&G is in business to sell products. They're looking at what the long-term reputation of the company is," said Andrew Gilman, CEO of CommCore Consulting. The spot was a message to current and future employees about what the company stands for and expects from its workforce, he added.

P&G (PG), which acquired Gillette in 2005, has a history of using unconventional advertising to emphasize the company's principles. P&G has also won praise for advertisements such as its Always "Like a Girl" campaign that challenges stereotypes about young girls and women, and Pantene's "Strong is Beautiful" campaign that shows NFL players braiding their daughter's hair. Its deodorant brand Secret showed a transgender woman in 2016. "There's no wrong way to be a woman," a narrator says in the ad. "Important discussions can be tough discussions and we're not shying away from that," said Damon Jones, vice president of global communications and advocacy at P&G.

'Is this the best a man can get?'
In 1989, when Gillette introduced its "best a man can get" slogan, it ran an ad during the Super Bowl showing men playing sports, at the office, getting married, and with their sons. "You're looking sharp ... You've come so far ... Father to son ... You're the champion. Gillette. The best a man can get," the anthem sings in the commercial.

P&G's new ad, "We Believe," includes a voice narrating over scenes of bullying, catcalls, sexual harassment and masculinity. "Is this the best a man can get?" the ad asks.
"We can't hide from it. Its been going on far too long. We cant laugh it off, making the same old excuses." Then, in a direct reference to the #MeToo movement, the spot says, "Something has finally changed." It closes with scenes of men breaking up fights, standing up for women and being attentive fathers. Bryan Reber, professor in crisis communication leadership at the University of Georgia's Grady College of Journalism, said that Gillette was acknowledging its role in creating a problem. "Gillette is implicitly saying, 'We get it. We're part of it.' That is the most unusual thing."

P&G is not the only company that has recognized the benefit of putting a stake in the ground on controversial issues.

Nike (NKE) recently featured Colin Kaepernick in ads, drawing on its own history of edgy advertising to stand out in the market. In 2017, it launched an "Equality" campaign featuring athletes like LeBron James, Serena Williams, and gymnast Gabby Douglas. One ad featured Alicia Keys singing Sam Cooke's "A Change Is Gonna Come." By making Kaepernick a face of its 30th anniversary "Just Do It" campaign, the company tried to earn support from its core customers: Young shoppers in big cities across the globe. Nike calculated that Kaepernick's loyal following and popularity with star athletes would outlast boycotts and short-term stock pressure. Nike's strategy paid off. CEO Mark Parker told analysts in September that the ad resonated with consumers both in North America and around the world. "We've seen record engagement with the brand as part of the campaign," he said.

Pepsi's blunder
Gillette and Nike's advertising have been successful because there are a clear links to the brands, said Reber, who also heads the University of Georgia's advertising and public relations department. "This type of advertising will become increasingly common," he added. Other brands' attempts to take stands with ads have come off as artificial, such as Pepsi's (PEP) ad in 2017 with Kendall Jennar against the backdrop of the Black Lives Matter movement.

"Pepsi was trying to project a global message of unity, peace and understanding. Clearly, we missed the mark and apologize," the company said in a statement at the time.
Ram Trucks used a Martin Luther King Jr. speech in a Super Bowl commercial last year, which was also widely panned for being artificial. The risk for Gillette is not immediate backlash on social media, but what its ads will look like in the future, and how it will use its slogan. "It will really hurt them if they don't walk the walk, after making the promise," Reber said. "If they don't show through their future advertising that they get it, then it's a problem."

Octavia

My arse is not pansy!
Sineya
Yeah I agree about the second one. I think they were attempting to highlight that boys expect to have right of way when it should be a mutually respective space. Perhaps a high school drama teacher produced the adverts. Anyone with tv talent leaves this country lol.

Its tough for me personally to come up with solutions. I would be a perfect candidate as editor for Manhater Monthly mag. I don't really understand the toxic masculinity to the extent the educated do, I come from the land of HTFU after all. There is emphasis on the words used to explain the action, rather than the actual action. Lead by example is always a top training tip in my book. Don't tempt and don't taunt. When a sports athlete or popular artist is a proven guilty of abuse, stop idolising them. I am not sure shaming them is the way to go either, more, we should be ashamed for idolising that behaviour.

I don't like that men and rough are synonymous, as women and soft are with the only grey area being gay.

Taake

Talk Darcy to me
Staff member
Black Thorn
I can see what they’re going with but I find their selection of ”problematic” behaviors ...problematic.

Bullying, not a gendered issue. Let’s see Always/optional period products repeat this from the female end. Or just leave the PSA’s out of ads. Whichever.

Rough-housing. Also not a gendered thing, but fine, mostly associated with boys. How is this toxic? It isnt like kids or parents are all fight club about it - ”finiiiish him!” - no. I get that they want ”boys will be boys” in there, but hasn’t that already been roundly criticized for the last 20years? I feel like anyone using that excuse would’ve been flattened by feminist bulldozers even 10 years ago.

Barbecuing seems problematic? Cause gender roles right. Of course.

Also - what!? - guy sees hot girl, acts like a cartoon figure who’s about to run after her and what? Tackle her? Unless his friend had been there what would’ve happened? What are you trying to tell me about men Gilette? my assumption would’ve been that he’d have spoken words at her, but they seen to imply something more nefarious.

But I guess they finally took a stand against sitcom audiences. No one truly laughs at sitcoms after all.

Good parts - dad breaking up an unfair fight while his son watches, dad giving daughter daily affirmations - then I might’ve blacked out because I can’t remember more. But, I’d hope that they in the future focused more on the positives of masculinity (aspirational) like that rather than the negatives (men are already about 4 times more likely to commmitt suicide I believe, suggesting they’re garbage because of vague and poorly defined concepts like ”toxic masculinity” seems country productive at best, if you want to actually inspire people.. to buy your product)

Spanky

Zexy Mercenary
Black Thorn
Yeah, I get that - my question spins off of that.
The thought is is if they are not acting as men, or in a manly fashion, then the male toxicity associated with it, will be eradicated as a result. So don't let men be men.

Buffy Summers

Yataro
Staff member
Sineya
The thought is is if they are not acting as men, or in a manly fashion, then the male toxicity associated with it, will be eradicated as a result. So don't let men be men.
I'm just using this commercial as a jumping off point for discussion, not implying anything about what the company is intending to say with it.

Also - what!? - guy sees hot girl, acts like a cartoon figure who’s about to run after her and what? Tackle her? Unless his friend had been there what would’ve happened? What are you trying to tell me about men Gilette? my assumption would’ve been that he’d have spoken words at her, but they seen to imply something more nefarious.
See this one I read as guy following girl down the street and heckling her.

But, I’d hope that they in the future focused more on the positives of masculinity (aspirational) like that rather than the negatives
My favorite commercial is the one where the dad is teaching his daughter how to shave her legs lol

Spanky
Spanky
Oh, I didnt mean the company when I said they. I meant the woke people.
Top Bottom