• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Twelve thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Gillette Commercial

thrasherpix

Scooby
Tough question, and I don't have the time I normally do to mull it over. I will say that plenty of boys and men aren't "toxic" without any special intervention, and it's likely because of the adults in their lives who are not, and/or the heroes (from Harry Potter to Superman, and plenty of female ones as well) they look up to.

I also don't care for the "men are toxic" (as in most to all) narrative...just as I don't like the "feminists hate men" narrative. 'Course both exist, but they don't define the entire gender or group. I think too many forget that many women are no friends to feminism (and will excuse toxic males) while many men are, and will come down on toxic males like a ton of bricks. There are men (some who did me a kindness when I was a runaway on the streets and they could've done anything at all to me, but were kind) I will always be grateful to just as there are women...and, of course, plenty of toxic men AND women I will also never forget.

As for the ad itself, I felt pretty neutral to it overall. I support the overall message, but didn't feel particularly excited by Gillette promoting it, nor did I see it as an "attack."

thetopher

Member of the Church Of Faith
Sineya
My question is, how do you allow men to be men but at the same time teach them to stand up for others who are being bullied, and not engage in "wolf whistling" like behavior?
I think people need to realize what is 'gendered' bad behavior and this advert isn't a good example of showing it, its actually incredibly clumsy. Bullying is not a man-only issue and neither is sexual harassment (there are plenty of YouTube video's of men walking around New York, being secretly filmed and cat-called at by women).
Also, since I was told two days ago to stop 'mansplaining' a new operating system to a female colleague (by another female colleague who was eavesdropping without knowing any context whatsoever) patronizing workplace behavior such as that shown in the video is no longer restricted to 'just men' anymore, which is nice.

It's never a good idea to paint any one social group with the same brush. It shouldn't be done with men or women ('hey all you women, be the right kind of woman will ya?"), any minority group, or of different sexual orientations, so I'm puzzled as to why its acceptable to do it in this case with all men.

Also, it has to be said, Yes, men can be sexually assertive and flirtatious, or sometimes physically aggressive, but there are times when this is a good thing. Basically we shouldn't be looking to people selling toiletries to tell us what is good, acceptable behavior for being a man.
Also the phase toxic masculinity should be banned since it tends to inherently demonize all masculine traits by association.

As for what is healthy, acceptable behavior for being a man? A good rule of thumb in general is just....talking with other guys (the larger the sampling the better), good male friends, older male relatives. Maybe relationship books written by guys (more than one to get some sort of balanced outlook), online articles by reasonably sane individuals?, um, common sense? It's not that hard really to avoid being a jerk.

And that's what this is about basically, not being a jerk to people. Don't be a bully, or a creepy leering fondler or any kind of a jerk.
Men. Women. All peoples, don't be jerks.

And buy Wilkinson Sword.

Ethan Reigns

Scooby
Sineya
I see this as a migration of advertising from "buy our stuff because it is better than anyone else's" to "buy our stuff because we are better than anyone else". Nothing in the ad talks about the product and I have the same disregard for this kind of virtue signaling as I have for the Chevrolet ads that showed a guy standing beside a truck as being more masculine than the same guy standing beside a sedan. If you want to sell me a product, tell me about the product. I am not buying the company.

ILLYRIAN

Druish Pervonian Wizard
Black Thorn
Eons ago a group had its men and women go and kill the animals to survive, after some time had passed those who appeared to be better at killing animals did so and those who appeared better at cooking did that. There was no problem as the group was good. The problems seemed to start when some groups started to say men are better at killing than the women who are better at cooking, then those group started to say men are better.
That line of thought continued for thousands of years then certain groups took that belief and made it worse. As more people populated the world the problem got worse. Even the nations that refused to relate to other nations had the same attitude.
Now there is a backlash, the women want to be recognized and valued to be the same as men, but as only the loudest get heard and their message put them as being better, some men are chastised for being men. Will women get equality, probably not as men have placed themselves in charge.
What is the simple way to put things right - a big enough strike of asteroids. Maybe if the humans became vampires, werewolves or zombies. You now, the simple answer might allow men to be men and women to be women.

The Bronze

Rogue Demon Hunter
Black Thorn
I watched the ad. It's a pretty cynical attempt to raise brand awareness. Rile up some lunatics on either side with a bit of trolling and bask in the free extra advertising from news agencies, social media etc.

As for the content and message. Don't be an ass is a great message, everyone should hear it. This just comes across as cheesy and preachy unfortunately.

I personally think people worry far too much about how to be a man or woman or whatever else. Be yourself, don't be an ass to others and that's about it.

Spanky

I'm came here to chew bubblegum and go off topic.
Black Thorn
Dan Cullen-Shute, chief executive and co-founder of Creature
Jesus f'ing Christ. I mean. Where do I start with that? I’ve got to be honest, haven’t I? I think this is rubbish. I hate it. Overblown tripe, dripping with self-importance. In years to come, when professors are giving lectures on ‘Why Brand Purpose Died’, this is Fonzie on a motorcycle waving at a shark. Most people think Gillette’s endline just means that their razors are really good, and yet now, here they are, ready to save the world.

See, I admire the ambition. And I’m on their side. I want my son to grow up not to be an arsehole. I like, as a general rule, anything that provokes an exaggerated spit-take from the bulging-vein political-correctness-gone-mad brigade. My enemies’ enemies are my friends and all that. But sometimes - just sometimes - my enemies’ enemies get a bit carried away, and make a bit of a tit of themselves. My main problem, I think, with my professional head firmly on, is that I don’t really see what right - beyond an apparently widely misunderstood endline - Gillette has to be in this conversation. When Lynx pivoted, it made sense: it had built a brand on objectifying women, so they had something to push against.

Gillette has built a brand on mirror-men with unnaturally smooth faces rubbing their chins. There’s not a gap between that and the world of toxic-masculinity, there’s a f'ing chasm: and, as wide as I’ve cast my net, I can’t find the interview where Tarana Burke talks about how she really hopes #MeToo can be used to sell loads of triple-blade razors with really macho names one day. So, yeah. Eesh. In some, small ways, good on ‘em: if you’re pissing off the right people, you must be doing something right. Unfortunately, however good their intentions, they’re also doing significantly more wrong."

Anyanka Bunny Slayer

Hail Hydra 💀
Black Thorn
Dan Cullen-Shute, chief executive and co-founder of Creature
Jesus f'ing Christ. I mean. Where do I start with that? I’ve got to be honest, haven’t I? I think this is rubbish. I hate it. Overblown tripe, dripping with self-importance. In years to come, when professors are giving lectures on ‘Why Brand Purpose Died’, this is Fonzie on a motorcycle waving at a shark. Most people think Gillette’s endline just means that their razors are really good, and yet now, here they are, ready to save the world.

See, I admire the ambition. And I’m on their side. I want my son to grow up not to be an arsehole. I like, as a general rule, anything that provokes an exaggerated spit-take from the bulging-vein political-correctness-gone-mad brigade. My enemies’ enemies are my friends and all that. But sometimes - just sometimes - my enemies’ enemies get a bit carried away, and make a bit of a tit of themselves. My main problem, I think, with my professional head firmly on, is that I don’t really see what right - beyond an apparently widely misunderstood endline - Gillette has to be in this conversation. When Lynx pivoted, it made sense: it had built a brand on objectifying women, so they had something to push against.

Gillette has built a brand on mirror-men with unnaturally smooth faces rubbing their chins. There’s not a gap between that and the world of toxic-masculinity, there’s a f'ing chasm: and, as wide as I’ve cast my net, I can’t find the interview where Tarana Burke talks about how she really hopes #MeToo can be used to sell loads of triple-blade razors with really macho names one day. So, yeah. Eesh. In some, small ways, good on ‘em: if you’re pissing off the right people, you must be doing something right. Unfortunately, however good their intentions, they’re also doing significantly more wrong."
I love that guy. Everything he said is just amazing.

Spanky
Spanky
Who? Me?

DeadlyDuo

Scooby
Oh, absolutely. But my question still stands, how do you let men be men but at the same time get rid of the actual harmful behavior?

I liked the first PSA you posted but not the second. The second one reads like he accidentally ran into her, not like he intentionally pushed her down.
Agreed. Kids never look where they're going so to go from boy knocks girl over whilst chasing his friends to boy will probably grow up to be a wife beater because he knocked a girl over and wasn't hauled over the coals for it is a bit of a leap.

Top Bottom