• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Twelve thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Glow up

Angel6

Potential
Just a quick reminder for those not fully on board with the boom reboot, how much better the art is! Whether you like the direction or not the character likenesses manage to be modern and so on the money I absolutely love it!

Willow Tara

Grr Argh - aka WhedonverseFan
Sineya
Are you going to hate me if I say, that I like the left one a bit better? But Imo they look both pretty cool...
And I haven't read the BOOM! Buffy comic yet. Only thing from BOOM! I have, are the Firefly Legacy Editions (book 1+2) and I really liked book 1. (I haven't read book 2 yet). I think the cover art is from BOOM! And I don't really like it :( But the stories and art and all (they are cool! At least book 1 Imo) are from Dark Horse , BOOM! just released them as collected, bigger volumes, not so many small ones.
And I saw some other BOOM! Buffy art, like Willow, Buffy and I really liked those so... Don't really know. Will probably try the BOOM! Whedonverse comics after I finished my Whedonverse Dark Horse comic collection. (I won't buy all Whedonverse comics by Dark Horse or BOOM!, just the ones I am interested in. :) And have enough money for ;))

Last edited:
Angel6
Angel6
I really hated the artwork in the DH days! Which was the left, I don’t think that’s recognisable as JM to be honest! You should try the Boom one!

Foxy

I am cookie dough!
Sineya
I don't think it is really constructive to hate on one comic series' art to make the other look better.

I personally think the DarkHorse run had some incredible stories and art. I think the art styles are just vastly different and it is okay to prefer an art style. Because personally I prefer Isaacs's style (the one you used on the left) to the early DH artist George Jeanty, however, I know some other people like his art better. I can still recognise he is a good artist and he definitely had some strong points.

I think the art in the BOOM comics is amazing, but sometimes I feel it is a bit too focused on likeness and it is a fine line to walk, because Isaac had her own distinct style and she made the characters look her own, while still maintaining a semblance to the original characters. This is much more difficult for artists who stick to likeness more. A great example of this is the reboot Star Trek (AOS) comics, because the characters looked very much like the actors, but the drawings were literally made from screenshots of the movies. The BOOM Buffy comics are not that extreme, but I have noticed some panels where they literally copied some screenshots, as well, but more successfully than the aforementioned Star Trek comics.

Likeness also brings another issue to the table, as there are some panels where the artist didn't manage to capture the likeness perfectly and then people were confused who the character was supposed to be. This has happened with Cordelia and Anya for example. I think having a very distinct style like Rebekaah Isaacs is beneficial, because I never struggled to figure out who this character was supposed to be as Isaacs (as well as Jeanty) was very consistent in her design of the characters.

Don't get me wrong, I love the art BOOM is doing for the current comics and I am a big lover of all comics of the Buffyverse, but comparing two pictures and saying look this one is terrible and the other one is so much better just kind of rubs me the wrong way.

Angel6
Angel6
We will have to agree to disagree.

Taake

Maybe it was taquitos. Maybe he lived for taquitos
Staff member
Black Thorn
I kind of like both of them, but what I especially like is that they're so distinct from each other. They give off a completely different vibe. Which is nice for the reboot because it stands out visually as something new! :)

The Bronze

Rogue Demon Hunter
Black Thorn
Those two pictures both look alright to me. Slight preference for the one on the right. There was some seriously dodgy artwork across the canon comics though. Angel looking like the Incredible Hulk or whole panels with faces missing. Any of the woman with the same hair colour looking identical. Definitely could have used some quality control.

Spanky

Zexy Mercenary
Black Thorn
From what I can tell, a lot of the issues with the two Spikes above seem to be more coloring than actual drawing. If the left were colored differently I wouldn't notice the difference as much.

AnthonyCordova

Earth Invasion Taskforce Unlimited
Sineya
The artwork I have seen has definitely raised my attention. I don't know too much about what's going on with it but I think I am going to buy these new comics soon and join in the discussion. I gave up on the earlier DH comics because I didn't really like the direction of the stories. I'm looking forward to seeing if this reboot represents an improvement.

katmobile

Potential
I think some of IDW art was terrible the story of After the Fall was a lot stronger than the art.

katmobile

Potential
I wasn't keen on Megan Levens in the DH comics, Jeanty could be hit and miss and I like Rebecca Isaacs.

Ethan Reigns

Scooby
Sineya
If you are comparing the images of Spike in the original post, the one on the left shows all the signs of someone who has not drawn construction lines before doing the final image (after which you erase the construction lines). The eyes are too far up in the head, the mouth is a bit too wide to fit the face and the head is a bit too small for the body. It looks like if the head had been the correct size, the features would have been a bit better. The one on the right is much better proportioned.

Primal Slayer

Did I Fall Asleep?
It wont help much since they just got a new artist lol. He's still good but who knows what his designs will look like.

Octavia

My arse is not pansy!
Sineya
I like the one on the left. The one on the right looks like metrosexual barbie.

Which is which?

Whats with the balloon?

(Not a comic fan)

Angel6
Angel6
The one which looks like James Marsters (on the right is a new one) the one which looks like it was drawn in the dark by someone who has no idea what he looks like is from Dark Horse.
Anyanka Bunny Slayer
Anyanka Bunny Slayer
Ha! I was going to say the one on the right looks like a male prostitute after a meth binge.

AshSlays

WOW, Sarcasm, that's original!
The cursed area of tons of sweet tea (Arkansas)
Black Thorn
Whats with the balloon?
Still haven't gotten around to reading BOOM! Buffy and this is my thought exactly.

I like both but the style of the BOOM one is a bit more cartoony and I like somewhat cartoony. I also really like the way the artist used the digital brushes. I'd love to learn what program he uses! Like the particle brush shading on the jacket, I love it so much!

The DH one just seems off to me. I can see signs of an artist who didn't use construction lines before doing the final sketch and that really bothers me.

Octavia
Octavia
I never use constructions lines, possibly why I am so bad at drawing faces haha. I agree the balloon one is more cartoony.
Top Bottom