• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Twelve thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Go Ask Malice, Week 2: January 29th - February 4th

Taake

Keeper of the Continuum Transfunctioner
Watcher
Black Thorn
Book Club: Go Ask Malice
Second week (week 40): October 2nd - October 9th

The book is in diary format and this week we will be reading the book dates
January 29th - Feburary 4th (pages 37-66)

Discuss these dates here.

:)

Bluebird

two by two, hands of blue
Black Thorn
There's not much story wise going on in these entries, but I'm not sure if there really is gonna be that much of a intricate story to tell here. I really liked it though. The scenes with the wee vamp boy were very effective - I thought that was an interesting idea that we've not explored much in the Buffyverse. It's dark. I like.

Lyri

Buckle Up Tight
Sineya
I really liked it though. The scenes with the wee vamp boy were very effective - I thought that was an interesting idea that we've not explored much in the Buffyverse. It's dark. I like.
I thought the same thing. The only two I can think of is Holtz's daughter and the little girl Angelus comes across in AtS S4. Unless you count teenagers, BtVS, especially, seems to shy away from something so controversial as child vampires. I remember the vampire 'laws' in the Anita Blake series has a no-go on turning anyone under the age of 18, I think. There are two characters who were turned in the 1700's when they were under 10. It's something weird to see, this woman, for all intents and purposes, in the body of a child. Her mind kept growing but her body didn't and it sends her - and her brother - mad and she's not stable. They both have to have minders and babysitters because they can't control their impulse control. It's something that would be interesting to explore in a teen show like BtVS.

As for the chapters, I agree that it was a little dry, but I'm still irrationally angry that this is Faith's life, that there really are people out there who take in foster children to use as free labor and don't care if they run off because they'll just get another one. Fostering is something that I'm very interested in looking into in the future, when I've got a handle on my issues and feel ready to take care of someone other than myself, and to think that I could be passed over to care for a vulnerable child in favor of someone who just wants am extra couple quid every month and someone to do the vacuuming so that they don't have to honestly disgusts me.

And, I don't know if this is just me, or if it has something to do with the diary structure of the novel, but, to me, this character doesn't really resemble the Faith I met in the show. Unless she has a more drastic change towards the end of the book, I don't feel like this is 'my' Faith.

Taake

Watcher
Black Thorn
Yeah, these pages were a bit 'more of the same' as the first couple of pages. I did feel though that he "lost" Faith's voice here, I felt it more in the beginning, but it was at one specific point where I was like... yeah this sounds like an adult writing in a teen. Can't remember what it was right now but I'll look it up later when I have the book. But maybe I just feel like you Lyri that this isn't 'my' Faith.

I rolled my eyes a little at her having been thrown out of her place. Just another "this kid's life REALLY sucks, unless you weren't paying attention", it's just piling on. Maybe it's going somewhere but I was looking forward to Faith being able to re-group and chill for a little while in her own home, so it disappointed me a little that she didn't even get that respite.

I did like the vamp-boy bit, if written well that could have been the whole story actually. Like a creepy gothic novel. And it's nice that Faith assumed zombie and didn't jump to a vampire conclusion.

As for the chapters, I agree that it was a little dry, but I'm still irrationally angry that this is Faith's life, that there really are people out there who take in foster children to use as free labor and don't care if they run off because they'll just get another one. Fostering is something that I'm very interested in looking into in the future, when I've got a handle on my issues and feel ready to take care of someone other than myself, and to think that I could be passed over to care for a vulnerable child in favor of someone who just wants am extra couple quid every month and someone to do the vacuuming so that they don't have to honestly disgusts me.
Agreed, but then I've been a foster kid so naturally I feel strongly about it :)

Athena

The original one-eyed chicklet
Staff member
Black Thorn
The whole child vampire thing reminds me of Claudia from Interview with the vampire.

I thought these were good chapters. I liked the bits with Robert, but surely if the foster mother was feeding foster kids to her dead vampire son, authorities would be aware of all these kids that go missing whilst in her care?

Taake

Watcher
Black Thorn
Maybe they just pegged them as runaways and it slipped through the cracks cause no one came looking for them, prompting the authorities to make inquiries

WillowWhispers

Bored now...
I have to say, it seems like the last couple entries really picked up the pace and I certainly enjoyed Robert's character, though I felt they could have developed it further. As @Athena noted, my brain went directly to a Claudia like character with Robert- an adult mind trapped in a child's body with zero impulse control. Fascinating stuff! I too, am still curious about how they've fed him all these years...the mother alludes to feeding him foster kids, but it's never really stated directly.

What did you all think of Alex, the imaginary friend that kept popping into her dreams? I know that Faith states it's part of her "good girl" psyche, but I feel like there was more to it than that. I got a First Slayer kind of flashback to "Restless"...maybe even some foreshadowing in Faith's dream sequence and the introduction of Robert's character? Seems like all the Slayers when they are in Potential Stage feel a bit off and have odd dreams/hallucinations.

Taake

Watcher
Black Thorn
Seems like all the Slayers when they are in Potential Stage feel a bit off and have odd dreams/hallucinations.
This is just a theory but I feel like their dreams increase just as they are about to be called, like the 'magic' or supernatural whatever side of them is starting to come online. :)

Cohen

Warrior
It's interesting to parallel things happening in the novel with what was going on in the show as well. I was thinking about how around this time, Buffy was dealing with her life being turned upside down by Angel's curse at the same time Faiths life is kind of spiraling downhill.

This also got me to thinking about how the beginning of this novel was just after Buffy met Kendra for the first time, how the dreams for Faith seem to start just after Buffy and Kendra's interaction. Like fate was already preparing Faith for Kendra's inevitable death.

Top Bottom