• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Twelve thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Go Ask Malice, Week 8: June 20th

Taake

Something Wicked This Way Comes
Staff member
Black Thorn
Book Club: Go Ask Malice
Eigth and final week (week 46):November 13th - November 20th
The book is in diary format and this week we will be reading the book dates
June 20th (pages 216-243)

Discuss these dates here.

:)

Taake

Staff member
Black Thorn
It took a long time for me to finish this book because, frankly, I lost interest.
It wasn't the worst BtVS book I've ever read, but that's not saying a lot. It was too shallow to be truly interesting, even for me as a Faith fan, and in the end I can't really say I'd recommend it. Depends on what you like to read I guess. But for me this got dull pretty fast.

Anyone else finish it?

Bloody William

Potential
It took a long time for me to finish this book because, frankly, I lost interest.
It wasn't the worst BtVS book I've ever read, but that's not saying a lot. It was too shallow to be truly interesting, even for me as a Faith fan, and in the end I can't really say I'd recommend it. Depends on what you like to read I guess. But for me this got dull pretty fast.

Anyone else finish it?
I finished it. I agree, not the worst book.

As is usual with the books the unlimited budget to create extreme situations/demons gets in the way of any character development.

It filled a void and explained to some extent the deal with Kakistos and Faith, but the amount of bad situations Faith went through according to the author I'm surprised she didn't crack sooner!?

Faith is one of my favourite characters so I wish it had been more enjoyable!

Taake

Staff member
Black Thorn
I really wanted more from the book, but when I think about it I might've wanted too much of it. I mean it is a TV tie-in YA novel, so it is very youth oriented. If I had been younger I probably would have enjoyed it more.

But, though I didn't love all of it, it was still nice to get to see Faith pre-Slayer times and as a newly called Slayer. Like you said, it filled a void.

Bloody William

Potential
It's the first time I've read the novels and I am struggling with most of them. Like you say they are aimed at young adults which is a world away from me now!
Still love Faith though!!

Last Watcher

Tweed Icon
Sineya
Worked my way through all the Buffy novels a few years back. Saved this one till last as it was one of very few to even include Faith.
Thought it was ok, but could have been so much better. As the show included very little in the way of a Faith backstory, just hints & comments
they could have filled a huge hole in the verse, but they chose to focus on a tiny part.....& really not that well.
Disappointed, basically :(

WillowWhispers

Bored now...
Finished the book about a month ago, but finally crawled out of the holiday hole. Overall, for a YA novel from the early 2000's, it's not too shabby. I do agree the story line could have been developed further. I did enjoy some of the back story since we have so little information about Faith's past (at least in the shows, haven't started the comic just yet). Also, I feel like the book didn't really follow a standard diary format...nobody, not even a moody teenager writes entries like some I saw. It might have been more effective to write from a 3rd person perspective with some excerpts from her journal.

Blair

Vamp Blair
Sineya
Okay, so I've read this book in just under 24 hours and going through the other threads for people's replies but going to put my thoughts here...

I loved the book, and as you could tell, I couldn't put it down.

As far as the first part goes, I was actually quite horrified when Faith's mother's boyfriend was coming onto her. Like, such a heavy thing for a YA's novel! Then again slightly later when she's talking about how some guy was hurting her during sex but didn't want to bother to stop him. Like, far out. Heavy for a teenagers book.
I know there were criticisms from the other weeks about Faith's life being so crap to the point of being seen as unrealistic. I disagree, I know someone who can fit this exact beginning story, so I find it very believable.

Wasn't impressed with her social worker. I've dated a few girls who were in the foster system and from what I understood when they were back with their biological parents, the first sign of them not being looked after when the parents have a history of neglect or abuse (eg being fed, going to school etc) is when the kids get taken away. Especially with Gabel (or whatever his name was) being known for sexual assault. That was poor in my eyes.

As far as Tommy goes, I liked that she had one friend. Keep in mind it was 1998, so making the point of him being gay was a big thing! (And kudos for trying to have diversity in) Jonathan told Buffy the same thing in season 2 or 3 when she saved him from being bullied (I think it was in Go Fish, if memory serves correctly), so the attitude of a guy being saved by a girl in that age of 20 years ago makes sense to me.

I did like the Freud references throughout the book. I checked the author's info at the back of the book- he studied psychology. This explains a lot to me within his references and made me laugh. I thought it was odd but endearing that the author decided to use lines from the series within the book- a few stuck out at me.

Odd diary, but I appreciate that they were trying to think outside the box as far as the format goes. (Although let's be real here- would Faith actually keep a diary? I doubt it)

As far as the foster family thing goes, I had an ex who was a foster kid that was placed in a similar home for a while- religious, slave labour, plenty of kids. Minus them being fed to a little vampire. I actually really liked that arc, I thought it was creepy enough for the Buffy world, and a great first staking.

Wasn't a big fan of Kenny. Although I don't know much about schizophrenia, but I did like how he was an ally for Faith for a while. Didn't like that he was hung up on his ex either. That was a bit crap. Also wasn't a fan of Faith's comments about "That's what I get for seeing a drummer" Us drummers aren't all bad! :p

I thought it was odd that they didn't mention Faith smoking much. Like fetching cigarettes for people is something I guess. Close enough. I also would of assumed that she would of been drinking a lot more herself.

Didn't like the scene with her Dad- maybe because the comics then contradict a few things.

I do like her Watcher though. I feel as though they have a fairly decent relationship that I probably prefer over Buffy & Giles. It's a shame it's cut short before Faith and her Watcher can really grow. I think they would of gotten quite close if they had the time to.
Faith is taking way more of an interest in her Slaying duties than Buffy ever did and enjoys martial arts. I appreciate her seriousness. And I think I could understand her disappointment when she meets Buffy- Buffy doesn't take her slaying duties as seriously as Faith did in my eyes, such as the study and the training. So I think Faith's resentment for 'Saint Buffy' throughout series three makes more sense to me.

Didn't like the part about her tattoo and where it originates from. If this was cannon, it'd make more sense for Faith to get it covered up as soon as she can.

Her dreams were brutal and so nightmarish. Not sure if I liked the Alex theme either and got a bit confused in parts.

Overall, I really, really enjoyed this book. I'm sure I'll re-read it again soon. I find it believable and yes there are a few things where it's a stretch to believe (ie the diary form, and a few other things)
8/10

Athene

Scooby
Sineya
Didn't like the part about her tattoo and where it originates from. If this was cannon, it'd make more sense for Faith to get it covered up as soon as she can.
That's what I thought after I read the book, I used to think that Faith's tattoo was cool but if you know the meaning behind it, it's sort of like the mark of a branded cow.

Blair

Vamp Blair
Sineya
I agree. Unless if she decided to keep it to remind her where she came from.

But I feel that her reaction about Kakitos in Buffy makes sense. First time we see her run into trouble like that it seems that Buffy is a lot braver. When actual fact, Faith went through so much more than just facing him- the reocurring nightmares and knowing what he does with his victims. Anyone would want to run away.

Last Watcher

Tweed Icon
Sineya
I still think that although the tattoo came from a dark moment in her life she would keep it as a reminder of what she came up against, & although it took a bit of help from Buffy to face up to it, what she overcame. Like a battle-scar maybe.

Top Bottom