1. Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Ten thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Greetings & Solicitations

Discussion in 'Check In' started by Ayko, Feb 3, 2017.

1. ChaseRules

ChaseRules When it comes to dating I the Slayer.

Sineya
    Why do you say that Wicca in the Buffyverse is a lifestyle instead of a religion. I thought it was a religion in there myself so I like to hear why you say that ..

2. thrasherpix

thrasherpix Scooby

Because it's practiced more like chemistry with some ethical guidelines thrown in which seem more like safety protocols (sure, Tara gets dogmatic about it that smacks of religious, but I've seen people get even more upset about how I make something!). The only actual religious moment I recall was when Willow prayed to a goddess while playing cards, and even the nonreligious can sort of pray like that.

It's also how the word can be used. Like Willow saying, "Give me time, and I may be the first wicca to do all my conjuring in pine fresh scent." Anya calls Willow the "most powerful Wicca in the western hemisphere" and it's not a blessing that Anya wants as she says it, but rather her magical skills, a skill used pragmatically. It all comes off to me like saying "chemist" or "witch" rather than "priestess" or "devotee." Willow even says her witchcraft/Wicca is like chemistry, only less newt. (Witch is not a religion, Wicca is. Unlike most religions, Wicca heavily incorporates witchcraft, though it's not required, but that doesn't mean that all witches are therefore Wiccan, just as not all martial artists are religious despite that some religious sects heavily incorporate martial arts. Of course Wicca is heavy factionalized as any other religion. And the Wicca of Buffy is something else.)

3. Ayko

Ayko MENE MENE TEKEL PERES

I agree with most of that although I have heard of Atheist Wiccans but most of them are open minded to the potential existence of something yet to be scientifically defined.

4. thrasherpix

thrasherpix Scooby

I'm really not sure what to think of Atheist Wiccans (or neopagans, if atheist). I suppose it means they revere the ideals but don't believe in the divine forces (it's just a metaphor for nature, and living in harmony with it rather than trying to dominate it in unenlightened ways). I guess in that case there could be Atheist Christians as well who see Jesus Christ and the religion centered around him as worth living up to without believing there was anything divine about him (I get the impression that some Unitarian Universalists do think along those lines).

As for me, I used to be a neopagan, and I believed the gods were real. I wasn't that clear on what the gods were exactly, but I did see them as self-aware entities that took an interest in this world.

But later on I'd return to my default agnosticism and came to believe that certain experiences I had were more symbolic and the gods being more like Jungian symbols of the unconscious (and that my own life experiences shaped my spiritual experiences rather than I chanced upon a higher reality operating independent of me). I have no definite explanation for what they are, though I do believe there are forces that defy categorization and understanding at this time which enable some mystical and paranormal effects. The point being I no longer saw them as self-aware entities with an independent existence of their own and probably weren't real (at least not as gods in the traditional sense) and I stopped calling myself neopagan...though my years as a neopagan have shaped me and how I think, but I don't think of myself as being part of any religion, and though I might find areas and situations sacred in some non-divine sense, I don't worship the gods as I used to, so I don't consider myself religious at all. For simplicity's sake I just call myself an agnostic.

5. Cordeliagirl

Cordeliagirl Oh, Buffy, we're sisters! With different hair.

Sineya
    Hi Ayko and Welcome to the board, my favorite character is Cordelia abd im her fan and my favorite couple is Xander/Cordelia and Im Cordelia/Xander couple Fan.

Ayko likes this.
  6. Ayko

Thought I'd throw this in just for the hell of it...

United Nations International Laws allow us to freely gain legal ownership of newly discovered territories or land, such as a newly formed island, by being the first person or group (that does not officially represent a nation or country) to claim it, in writing, as their property.

In the early 1980s, a man known as Dennis Hope claimed the Moon as his property and began selling property deeds to land on the Moon. Those admitting to having bought property deeds to plots of land on the Moon include celebrities Nicole Kidman, Tom Cruise, John Travolta, Barbara Walters, President George Bush Sr, and many more.

As the customer base grew (apparently over 3.5 million buyers to date), they demanded assurances that their property rights on the Moon be protected. So, in 2004, Hope started the ‘Galactic Government’ with a ratified constitution, a congress, a currency, and a patent office as a realized sovereign nation.

I read about the events in the media as they happened as did the United Nations and all our law enforcement agencies and protectors of people’s rights. They did, and do, nothing (except join in ‘the fun’). We must presume that there is no criminal act here and, since the United Nations (who fortify international laws) never responded or reacted to the events, we have a silent acceptance. Also, if President Bush Sr. and other names of significance are involved in the buy & sale of Moon (or other cosmic body or land) and the U.N. takes no action we (of the public) must presume our leaders accept it, or that they do not protect the folk of humanity invaded and possessed by criminal terrorists. It is one or the other. That is what a higher justice or life protection entity would conclude and correctly so. Furthermore, (U.N.) leaders, by not reacting, bring to mind the old example of someone walking in the park at night and seeing a man raping a child in the bushes that ignores it and does nothing. That witness is now an accomplice and perpetrator as if he also raped that child.

By not correcting the ‘loophole’ in the international U.N. protocol for claiming possession and ownership of ‘unowned land’, the door remained/remains open for others to do the same. I chuckled as it happened while experts from the space industry voiced complaints and nothing happened except some words regarding the international Moon Treaty (1984) & Outer Space Treaty (1967) with their contradictions and ambiguity, the former having been signed by about ten percent, the latter about half, of all our global nations. Also, the Treaties supply a clause allowing for withdrawal with (written) notice. After chuckling, I wrote up a claim of my own, signed it, and sent it in to official authorities using multiple means of media including letter, email, fax, etc. As Mr. Hope, I received no formal reply but, mine was sent and I know appropriate authorities received it.

In a formal letter, taking a more universal approach & perspective, I established personal ownership of all Galaxies, essentially islands of physical reality or land moving like Continental Drift on Earth but in the vacuum, or better put, ocean of the cosmos. Galaxies hold their content or land or matter with a Massive Black Hole (at the core of every Galaxy) similar to Gravitational Forces that hold us on Earth. I also established ownership of any new Galaxy that may form or be discovered, of all other universes if any more exist or exist one day, and also of all existence(s) (including timeflow) past present & future. Now, since the Moon, the Earth, and other items, are within one of my Galaxies, on my property, and have not payed their rent, their energy bills, and have not cleaned up any of the messes (of mass destruction) that humanity is responsible for including the very many I/we cleaned up already for them before it killed us or worse. On top of owed rental costs and outstanding energy bills are the cleaning costs and also fines for the many criminal activities taking place, etc.

In any case, I am the unofficial but legal owner of everything in and out of existence (according to United Nations International Law). So there! ;)

7. thrasherpix

thrasherpix Scooby

You remind me of this little girl :p:

[​IMG]

Ayko and Priceless like this.
  8. Ayko

A funny cartoon, however, the little girl is more like Dennis Hope and the 'galactic government'. I did not start with the obssessive behavior. I just took their insanity and jumped ahead of them. It is like the ploying of fire to fight an out of control fire in order to stop it in its tracks.

Thanks for posting, though, @thrasherpix, and I (still) would like to continue our discussion about wicca and such as soon as I finish a project I am working on. I am glad you are still around. I'll be in touch, if that's okay.

9. thrasherpix

thrasherpix Scooby

It's okay, but it's been almost 15 years since I was active among Wiccans and other neopagans. And my understanding is that modern neopagans have changed (generally speaking) from those I knew when I was younger, so what I can share may not apply much today.

10. ChaseRules

ChaseRules When it comes to dating I the Slayer.

Sineya
    So does that means I owe you rent since you own where I sitting .:eek: And if so how do I mail it to you . Is it care of the United Nations :confused:

Ayko: lol
    Ayko likes this.