• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:

1. You really should register so you can chat with us!

2. Fourteen thousand people can't be wrong.

3. Buffy-Boards loves you.

4. See 1 through 3.

Come on, register already!

Gunn and relationships

nightshade

Your grandfather is a cat
Staff member
Black Thorn
We saw Gunn and Fred together, but I felt that they weren't really suited, and the only other person we saw
Gunn with was Gwen, which had potential but nothing came of it.

Did Gunn need a romantic partner and who would it have been?

Spanky

Scooby
Black Thorn
Gunn didn't need a romantic partner. Everyone one the show had to have a romantic partner though, so..

VisionBoy

Scooby
Sineya
I mentioned in another thread that when I saw "First Impressions", I wondered if they were toying with the idea of Cordelia and Gunn having a thing somewhere down the line, but decided against it. But I can't imagine it now.

Fred and Gunn gave me tooth ache and I'm pretty dedicated to Fresley. I could see Gunn with a tough girl who's used to adversity like Gwen or Faith.

thetopher

Member of the Church Of Faith
Sineya
I always was puzzled as to why Gunn/Fred happened- maybe to confound expectations of the inevitable Fresley? It doesn't really bother me though, because I just knew it wouldn't last. Plus it was overshadowed by the wtf of Cangel...o_O

Gunn/Gwen was nice and all but I don't think Gunn trusted her enough to think about embarking on a relationship. Ships that pass I suppose.

Gunn and Faith I could definitly see though. Initial impressions of each other were favourable enough, ('Love the name.' 'Oh, I like her.') Gunn in tough but has a hidden softer side, just like Faith. Both have similar, rough childhoods, they constantly underestimate themselves in comparison with others, they're tough, scrappy fighters...they would be kinda hot too. :D

Add to that the fact that Faith liked Robin Wood, who is basically a lame, knock-off version of Gunn and you're all set.

Hell, I'm wondering if they should hook Faith/Gunn up in the comics- if they're bringing back Illyria it makes tons of sense to bring back Gunn.

VisionBoy: Yeah, thinking about it, Angel season 3 really was the year of the forced, awkward romance arcs. Faith + Gunn = ...Funn! Awesome :p

Yeah, who doesn't like Funn? Apart from crazy people and that grumpy YouTube cat...

VisionBoy
VisionBoy
Yeah, thinking about it, Angel season 3 really was the year of the forced, awkward romance arcs.

Faith + Gunn = ...Funn!
Awesome :P
AnthonyCordova
AnthonyCordova
"...a lame, knock-off version of Gunn" ouch. A little true too.

Aud

Scooby
Yeah it's interesting because Gunn seemed to have a natural initial spark with both Cordy and Faith. No similar spark with Fred, who they inexplicably chose to pair him with. I think the Gunn-Cordy thing would've worked if they hadn't lobotomized her S3 on. Classic sassy Cordy would've been a great partner for Gunn. At first I saw a lot of parallels between them: namely, that they both put on this extreme tough front to mask their deep seated struggles and emotional conflicts. (Of course they then went and completely changed Cordy's personality, so this is just based on how her character was originally written.) Also, their ship name would be "Gordy," which is just amazing by itself.

Gunn and Faith is another pairing that would make sense to me, for the similar "tough exterior, soft interior" reasoning I gave for Cordy. Another amazing potential ship name here: "Funn."

PassionBecoming

Minuscule Redheaded One
Sineya
Gunn and Fred together never bothered me, but I think they lacked chemistry or something. Maybe passion? I don't know. It did seem like an odd pairing.

I did love Gunn with Gwen, but I can't see that morphing into a relationship. I would ADORE Gunn and Faith. That would be AWESOME.

white avenger

white avenger
I think that Gunn and Anne would have worked well. The few times that we saw them together, they really seemed to have potential. Gunn could have lived at the shelter with her and handled the rowdies who would occasionally show up. He would still be available to work with Angel, we would have just gotten to see how he spent his down time.

Joan the Vampire Slayer
Joan the Vampire Slayer
We're on the same wavelength, friend! I said this same thing before reading your reply.

thetopher

Member of the Church Of Faith
Sineya
I imagine Gunn pointing out the 'not exactly a haven for the brothers.' nature of Sunnydale just like Trick did, although he would've liked that he found plenty of things to slay.

Man, what would he have made of the Scoobies? :D

Taake

I do doodle. You too. You do doodle, too.
Staff member
Black Thorn
I actually loved Fred and Gunn together, so I guess I'm a minority here ;)

As for if Gunn needed a romantic interest I would argue that no character really needs a romantic interest, often they just fall into that pattern of story telling because it's easy and because the audience often wants it.

I did love Gunn with Gwen, but I can't see that morphing into a relationship. I would ADORE Gunn and Faith. That would be AWESOME.

Never really thought about him and Faith.
Didn't like him at all with Gwen, that seemed forced to me.
But with Faith... yes, very intriguing!

DeepBlueJoy
DeepBlueJoy
I thought Fred and Gunn were th most real, most fun relationship in Angel and maybe the Buffyverse. I loved them!

Spanky

Scooby
Black Thorn
I dunno.. this may sound, um, odd.. but I always thought Gunn and his vamp sister had a really good chemistry together.. they would have been a good couple.
And I guess it wouldn't be as bad as it being your mum like in Spikes case. I mean, whats worse? making out with your vamp sister or vamp mum?

DeepBlueJoy
DeepBlueJoy
Yuck. Hurls chunks into bucket.

Taake

I do doodle. You too. You do doodle, too.
Staff member
Black Thorn
I dunno.. this may sound, um, odd.. but I always thought Gunn and his vamp sister had a really good chemistry together.. they would have been a good couple.
And I guess it wouldn't be as bad as it being your mum like in Spikes case. I mean, whats worse? making out with your vamp sister or vamp mum?

To quote Cordelia: "There's not enough yuck in the world!"

thetopher
thetopher
As Cordelia once said: 'Make me yak!' :)

Fuffy Baith

2017 (and 2016) Cutest BB member
Sineya
I'm going to say that no I don't need Gunn to have a love interest. I didn't like him with Fred, Gwen was just a one night stand I assume, and his pseudo girlfriend in "First Impressions" was not any better either. I actually agree that old Cordy and Gunn would be an ok couple. Gunn and Faith seem more like bros to me, but I can see how it would become romantic. But yea I don't need Gunn to be with anyone, mostly because he's my least favorite AI team memeber. Not including Connor.
Add to that the fact that Faith liked Robin Wood, who is basically a lame, knock-off version of Gunn and you're all set.
Lol. Maybe that's why Faith hooked up with him. Because he reminded her of Gunn, who she actually had good chemistry with, and they had less scenes together. And would make more sense as a pair then Faith and Wood.

Blaze

Let it Burn
Black Thorn
Not a fan of Fred and Gunn but that's because I want Fred with Wes.

Not a fan of Faith and Gunn either, those who know me may guess why.

Gunn and Gwen? Meh, too easy to pair the bad boy with the bad girl, it's not really great story telling.

Poor Gunn, he's getting the short end up the stick. But I agree, him and Anne, I would have liked to see that.

Fuffy Baith
Fuffy Baith
Because you prefer Faith with Buffy?
thetopher
thetopher
^ So do I! :)

nightshade

Your grandfather is a cat
Staff member
Black Thorn
I forgot about Anne but I agree those 2 could have worked out well, she already knew about the vampire and everything but wasn't really involved in it

Mr Trick

Scooby
I actually loved Fred and Gunn together, so I guess I'm a minority here ;)

As for if Gunn needed a romantic interest I would argue that no character really needs a romantic interest, often they just fall into that pattern of story telling because it's easy and because the audience often wants it.

Never really thought about him and Faith.
Didn't like him at all with Gwen, that seemed forced to me.
But with Faith... yes, very intriguing!

I'm in the same minority. I thought they played it really well, because Wes was the one Fred had the most in common with, yet when Fred and Gunn got together they did seem like a nature couple who seemed to generally care for each other. It was a sting in the tail for Wes, and it kept you guessing very well if he had missed his chance.

BuffyBot22

Scooby
@Mr Trick @Taake I'm another minority! I really enjoyed Fred and Gunn. It was unexpected. I thought they were going to go the Fresley route, but I'm glad they didn't at first and wished they never did later. I really disliked Fred and Wesley together. Nothing wrong with having a lot in common, I just felt that Wesley idolized her more than he actually loved her.

So for Gunn, I totally want him with Fred.
But if I can't have Frunn: I'd take Cordy and Gunn or Faith and Gunn.
I think Funn would have been more about intense sexual tension- so could get toxic quickly.
But pre-s3 Cordy and Gunn actually could have had a solid relationship. I think this relationship would have been more stable.

Top Bottom