• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:

1. You really should register so you can chat with us!

2. Fourteen thousand people can't be wrong.

3. Buffy-Boards loves you.

4. See 1 through 3.

Come on, register already!

Gunn Appreciation Thread

It seems like people are just sort of forgetting Gunn: no one has posted anything in this subforum since shortly after I joined (last post: 9/20/2008), and the last couple of threads aren't even about Gunn, the character. I think it's time someone showed a little Gunn-love.

I might not be the right person for that, though, because I haven't seen much of AtS. But from what I've watched, Gunn is a cool guy, with more depth than one might suspect. And funny too, I mean, Life of the Party, anyone?

But hey, what do you think of him?

Sweetescape

Eyeballs to entrails, my sweet.
I've always liked Gunn i have nothing against him. He just never really stood out for me as a character i never had any kind of feelings for him , it was like oh there's Gunn he's alright.
Yeah he did have some funny moments but i think the better character like Fred,Wesley,Darla and Angel in my opinion eclipsed him for me.

oh thats not really appreciation......*headdesk* edits post...

I LOVE GUNNNNNNNNNNN he's the best character EVER i only watched Angel becuase of him :D my true love.

better?

H
HABEAS CORPSES
that was much better the last bit

HABEAS CORPSES

good'yay idea'yay an'yay
Gunn simply rules i think he is so underated. He is a man on a mission determined to do whats right, with his cool fighting skills and wity remarks gunn is great he does have alot of story arcs that are suttle and span over a long time like him learning to trust angel even though he what gunn hates most (a vampire) and another is the seperation of him and fred plus him allowing wesley to come in to freds heart fully. Even though some say they dislike him in season 5 but i think it shows how he deparately wants to fit in with the group contribut somthing more than the musscle there is alot of depth in his charcter you just look in the right places (episodes). Gunn's character just gives off this vibe that makes you want to befriend him (if you could) overall i think he is a really good and worth while character.

white avenger

white avenger
I like Gunn, I like the way that he evolved over the original 5 seasons, and watching him (if we ever are allowed to do so) reconcile himself to the events of "After The Fall." I've heard that he might get his own arc later, so maybe he could team up with Beth and they could start their own demon hunting agency.

Revolver

Sir Douche
To me, the Gunn character gets little love because it was clear the writers often weren't sure how to use him. His introduction as the muscle always seemed weak, because Angel is a vampire and the lead character, so of course, he's the real muscle. So no matter how many different times they referred to Gunn as the muscle, they didn't really use him as such. They got him together with Fred, but also kind of set it up so the viewer would root for Wesley (at least I did...) which kind of naturally pits you against the character. Finally, they gave him the legal upgrade so his character could contribute in other ways. Even this didn't seem to help early on, because how much time did we want to see Angel and crew spending in a court? Granted, it worked better than having Lorne head up the entertainment division did.

clemsgirlfriend

Potential
I've always liked the Gunn character. He comes across as caring and smart, willing to put aside his preconceptions about all vampires to entertain the possibility of one being good and having a soul, and also has some quite funny moments.

I loved the scenes with Angel in waiting in the wings when Angel gets the ballet tickets and Gunn is so disappointed, like a kid, and says he will never trust him again, and then Angel is trying to convince him that he'll enjoy the ballet, and calls the dancers tight, and says that he'll be trippin' when he sees them, and Gunn replies:

'Don't be using my own phrases when we've lost the trust'.

Cracks me up every time! (Sorry about the run-on sentence.)

NeonNightLight
NeonNightLight
[No message]

Blair Waldorf-Bass

je suis prest
He is awesome. I think that him and Fred are best together, I know a lot of people disagree with this, but he's such a fascinating character. He cares for people and he's like a big brother that you know will always look out for you.

He's always so funny and makes me laugh as well, and he just makes me smile thinking about him.

LadyLavinia

Scooby
To me, the Gunn character gets little love because it was clear the writers often weren't sure how to use him. His introduction as the muscle always seemed weak, because Angel is a vampire and the lead character, so of course, he's the real muscle. So no matter how many different times they referred to Gunn as the muscle, they didn't really use him as such. They got him together with Fred, but also kind of set it up so the viewer would root for Wesley (at least I did...) which kind of naturally pits you against the character.

I never rooted for Wesley and Fred as a couple. They came off as sometimes boring and sometimes disturbingly incestuous, despite the fact that they were not related to one another.

bigmoneygrip

Potential
Big fan of Gunn. . . I'm only through the second season, but I like his character. Favorite Gunn quote so far . .

Angel comes hurrying back into the lobby where the others are waiting for his return.
Cordy: "How'd it go?"
Angel: "Everyone gear up. Grab something sharp. We need to move fast."

(ten minutes of conversation, Angel's handing out weapons)

Angel: "Drusilla's insane, deadly, not in a good mood. Darla - she needs to feed soon, okay? And once she does she's gonna be that much stronger. Now we got two options: either we go back to the people who brought them both here in the first place, or we sit around, waiting for the bodies to start piling up. - I decided not to wait. Anyone wants to join me - my car's outside. If not, that's fine too."
Gunn after a beat: "You had *me* at 'everyone gear up.'"

I also like how Gunn, from the street, and Wesley, upper class English gentleman, bonded, especially with the fist bumps and various permutations.

masterdkd

Townie
I don't hate Gunn. I just never like the whole idea of Fred/Gunn pairing. They had no chemistry at all together and took way too long for it too end. Gunn was just a roadblock between Wes and Fred.

Gunn was better off with Anne or Gwen. He seems to have better connection with them than Fred.

Gunn should never have joined the A.I. team. He should have stayed with his old gang, him being the leader, fighting against vampires and demons. Maybe, once in awhile helped the A.I. team.

inthedoorway

awesome extraordinaire
I like Gunn, but I find hes always the one to jump to conclusions instantly, and will pick a fight, then ask questions later. I find that kind of annoying. I'm only into the 4th season of Angel, so maybe he evolves more, but I doubt it.

And I dont like Fred and him together either. I always thought Wesley and Fred would be better, they have more in common and a better chemistry.

E
Emzzie
Cool banner!

Summerlilly

Covert Superhero
I like him too. He's funny and sincere. I always think Fred should be with him.

I never really felt the heat between Gunn and Fred. They seemed like really good friends.....and the way they departed...it was said and weird at the same time.

Fred and Wesley, in my opinion were a much better match.

Gunn brought in the streets cred. He was just a guy who dealt with some bad stuff and survived on his own, even if he couldn't save his sister. He was a lttile unpredicatable and didn't always make the smartest choices but he had heart. He wasn't my favorite charcter but he gave the show another perspective.

He certainly seems underestimated here on the boards!

Did you guys see him on Heroes?! All I could think of was Gunn!:asl:

Joan the Vampire Slayer

Carpe Spuffy!
I liked Gunn. Surely, I didn't agree with everything he did (specifically, throwing the professor into the portal for Fred) but all and all, he was an alright character. He definitely balanced out the group.

My criticism of him is not really based on him, per say, but more on the writers for how he was portrayed. I feel like in some ways he was the "token black guy" if you know what I mean. I feel like his characterization and mannerisms were at times quite stereotypical. It's almost like Joss realized how many white people there were in the show and needed to be more PC by adding a black dude.

Tasha

Dn'* letthespacebugsbite!
Sineya
I'm so sad that Gunn is underrated :(
I really did love his character in a way i really cannot describe.
He was just lovable and Funny.

Fredsicle

Joey Gaga
He's an ass to everyone, so I didn't really care for him.
Sure, he was nice and funny, but overall, he took his hatred toward Wesley a little far in S4, always finding ways to criticize his methods.
How can I express my feelings toward Gunn?
If I was going on a Whedonverse shooting spree, I wouldn't go out of my way to HIT Gunn, but I wouldn't go out of my way to MISS either. :/

Wesley

Investigator
I also enjoyed Gunn. He was portrayed by a good actor, and although the writers didn't know how to write a 'black' guy I think he did well with the material he had.

I am so very sad that we missed out on a S6 of Angel because according to the writer they would have made Gunn one of the big bads and be a Vampire. I know they did it in the comics, but seeing it on screen would have been awesome.

F
Fredsicle
[No message]
Top Bottom