• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Twelve thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Gwen messed with the mythology?

Don't get me wrong, I loved Gwen, but her powers felt out of place--she belonged on X-Men rather than Angel. It would have been more believable had she been part demon rather than a mutant.

MinwaraYana

Countess Von Drunkaton
Lol, that's why I love Gwen. My favorite X-men character is Rogue. :D And you can say the same thing with Bethany from Untouched, she's like Jean Grey.

But seriously, her character and Beth really came outta nowhere. We rarely see mutant on the show. The closest thing was Billy, but he's a demon.

Fusions2

Stark Industries Employee
Sineya
I actually liked seeing Gwen with a power that just came from nowhere or was in the Buffy and Angelverse the next step in evolution. I thought it fitted right even more so after seeing Bethany with her telekinesis 2 years prior and that developing due to emotional and mental stress from her dad. I wish they had explored that part of the supernatural side a little more with both of those characters.

I agree Gwen felt out of place in the verse. Just like Illyria or Darkwillow. But its to be expected. The producers start getting successful, bit of money, start substituting originality with special effects, hence, you get characters you'd expect in a kids cartoon. Just as well Joss was a genius writer, so i'l happily ignore it.

GwenRaiden

AKA Apology Girl
Black Thorn
I don't think she felt especially out of place. Stranger things have happened.

She does have an X-Men/Rogue feel about her, and her childhood backstory was very X Files, but I liked that!

I felt they could have done a lot more with her story. Like, did she ever reconcile with her parents for pushing her away? How many people did she injure or kill? Did she ever kill someone she loved, a lover? Did she ever try to find out more about her powers? Did the L.I.S.A chip continue to work?

I'm guessing the comics answer some of these questions, but yeah. I wish the TV show gave us more on Gwen.

VisionBoy

Scooby
Sineya
Well psychics are often human, so having rare humans with other abilities doesn't seem too big a stretch to me. I get what you're saying, I think it could've been cool to explore more, but I didn't mind it.

jom

Potential
i agree, who is gewn, she came out of nowhere and just like that, went back to nowhere. Her character was one of the weirdest things in Angel. At least Bethany was connected to WH&R.

Ethan Reigns

Scooby
Sineya
There is such a thing as an electric eel and Gwen did not seem out of place as a mutant with the physiology of an electric eel. BTW the electric eel can put out 600 volts - enough to injure or kill most people. One of the enduring stories from the past is The Island of Doctor Moreau where people are transformed into human-animal hybrids. I would like to have seen her become an associate or contractor with A. I. and show up in a few more episodes.

thetopher

Member of the Church Of Faith
Sineya
In a universe that has giant mantis women (not demons, Giles never uses that word, just big ol' insects...) animated dummies, Invisible people, telekinetics (that girl from S2 'Untouched'), fish creatures created from Russian science, Ted the 50's robot, Pete the rage monster, etc I'm not sure Gwen is any more outlandish that any of that.

She doesn't throw lightning bolts, she has to touch people for her powers to be effective. Just like that Jheira woman from 'She'.

I would've liked to get a better explanation as to how/why she can survive being struck by lightning - maybe we would've got that if she had been around more. As it is she reminds me of an 'X-Files' case rather than an X-Man.

AlphaFoxtrot

Scooby
Mutants and metahumans are pretty much a standard go to telefantasy classic, and one showing up in a world where super science exists, is not out of left field. X-Men isn't so much about mutants, as it is a race of oppressed mutants and their interactions with humanity. But really, given the setting, any element of speculative fiction could show up in Buffy or Angel.

MarieVampSlayer

Bloody hell, Sodding, blimey, shagging, knickers..
Sineya
Yes and no. If she had been on Buffy were the theme was a little more horoor than Scifi than I would have said yes. But since she's on Angel, I feel she makes more sense after Bethany and after all she could have demon in her and we wouldn't know. I feel like Angel had more alienish and scifi theme than Buffy.

Taaroko

Gunner of the USS Buffy/Angel
I have no problem with X-Men type powers showing up in the Buffyverse. I mean Buffy's pretty much a superhero anyway, and these shows are basically a blend between the urban fantasy and comic book genres, so it never seemed weird to me.

What I DON'T think fits in the Buffyverse are robots and freeze rays and all that other ridiculous technology the Trio made (and apparently Ted in the '50s, somehow). My suspension of disbelief has a much harder time with that stuff than a little electrokinesis.

W

WillowFromBuffy

I think the most jarring thing about her was not her powers but her look. There are no other midriff baring superhero dominatrixes in the Buffyverse.

PaulParmar1

Spuffy Forever
Sineya
Don't get me wrong, I loved Gwen, but her powers felt out of place--she belonged on X-Men rather than Angel. It would have been more believable had she been part demon rather than a mutant.
I disagree. I thought Gwen was a great & a new fit on the show<333 so happy to have her as a character.
I will never forgive Angel writers for not using her more

Top Bottom