• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Twelve thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Gwen Raiden

PaulParmar1

Spuffy Forever
Sineya
Gwen barely has any active posts!
So let's discuss her.
I absolutely loved her character but she deserved more episodes.
So what's your opinion on Gwen?
Do you think she should've returned for S5?

Mrs Gordo

Bangel extremist...
Black Thorn
She was awesome. So sad she didn't get more guest spots. I loved the chemistry between the actress and DB. i thought she would have made a compelling live interest sorda like Nina.

thrasherpix

Scooby
I loved her, and was curious what happened to her. (Maybe Gunn and/or Angel looked her up after they were working for Wolfram & Hart...) I was curious how she got her ability. Does that mean she has a bit of demon blood in her? If a mutation, then how do we know the Lorne isn't just an offshoot of humanity (or vice versa), rather than a hybrid?

And if Gwen does have demon blood (or demons are essentially mutants) then how much do genes have to mutate before they can't block a vampire out of their home? (My own personal theory is that vampires can only be blocked by the living aura of their own species, so if Lorne were changed into a vampire, for example, then only his species could block him out, not humans.) Slayers can despite having demonic essence, but I don't think half-demons can. Gwen probably could. (I bet the Initiative would still count her as a demon since they did Ethan, at least treated him like one with no lawyers or civil rights which I don't think could be legally done yet).

And was Gwen born with that ability (at least waiting to manifest itself), or was she exposed to something that endowed her with that ability? (I'm thinking of Marcy who went invisible, which apparently was her powerful negative emotions affecting the Hellmouth energies that were affecting her, similar to how a sun gives a tan or sunburn, only it made her invisible, and we see there are plenty of other "invisibles." But did one need at least a little demon blood before that could happen, or could any human be affected that way?)

'Course I wonder the same about Beth the TK (telekinetic). (Technically, Gwen could've been "electrokinetic" which was just as uncontrollable as Beth's own more traditional TK.) And could learning sorcery help them control it? Because I see that powerful witches demonstrate telekinetic and other psionic abilities, and Dark Willow was big with the lightning, perhaps electrokinetic there like Gwen). 'Course many demon breeds has similar abilities (one was even an empathic psychopath who could read people even better than Tara, and can't forget Buffy who couldn't handle the telepathic abilities given to her by demon blood, or Angel turning human from demon blood which I believe means the blood kills the demon which left Angel human) without ever learning magic so maybe just having a "wild talent" isn't enough to be able to use other magicks in the way of a true witch (just like not everyone with incredible agility can become an acrobat, or amazing dexterity can become an artist).

Yeah, I do give these things a lot of thought. At least it's harder to get passionate about them as others do their ships. :p You should see how much thought I give to demonic societies and life on other dimensions...I also wonder how Lorne got his ability to sing, which to them is as bizarre as Gwen's ability to us (and apparently an attack power since Lorne uses it as such on them the way Gwen would use her electrokinetic abilities on humans that attacked her), though it's also interesting that the Deathwok warriors can read auras and the like, but with Lorne discarding the teachings of his clan he instead manifested the ability to read people through their songs (rather than be harmed by singing as others of his clan were). The part that teases me the most is how they survive beheading, but I've even come up with some surreal ideas on that (that that definitely touches on their mystical properties rather than biology as we know it), and even includes why so many of his clan are very sensitive to music. I've gotten really surreal in imagining how the world appears and FEELS to Lorne in a way humans probably can't understand.

Looks like I got off topic, though I haven't by much. It's all about the wacky wild talents that people are born as or get endowed with be they human or demon, and wonder about the nature of such abilities (and if they're an indication of strange demonic blood in them whether it's innate or endowed into them) be they manifested in Gwen or Lorne or Beth or Marcy. Though I do like Gwen as a character for her own sake as well.

Last edited:

Puppet

Actual size.
Black Thorn
I absolutely love Gwen, always have, part of which is the actress who did such an amazing job with a character that was around for, what? 3 episodes? I love when an actress and/or character who is only around for a few episodes can make enough of an impact on the fans to never be forgotten. Gwen was definitely one of those; love her or hate her, you sure as hell remember her :)

PaulParmar1

Spuffy Forever
Sineya
I absolutely love Gwen, always have, part of which is the actress who did such an amazing job with a character that was around for, what? 3 episodes? I love when an actress and/or character who is only around for a few episodes can make enough of an impact on the fans to never be forgotten. Gwen was definitely one of those; love her or hate her, you sure as hell remember her :)
I love Gwen too!
I would've liked to see her and Gunn explored as a relationship honestly.

Fool for Buffy

I'm just being a big nerd again
Sineya
Gwen was fantastic; the fact that she was only in three episodes was just disappointing. There was so much left for her. Her and Gunn were absolutely delightful in Players, and she definitely could have been an ally quite a few more times. I'd also like to add that Gwen has the best Walk ever.

PaulParmar1

Spuffy Forever
Sineya
Gwen was fantastic; the fact that she was only in three episodes was just disappointing. There was so much left for her. Her and Gunn were absolutely delightful in Players, and she definitely could have been an ally quite a few more times. I'd also like to add that Gwen has the best Walk ever.
Gwen and Gunn could've been an absolutely interesting dynamic . She was a fantastic character and she deserved so much more.
I'll be forever mad that Joss didn't bring her back.
I would've loved to see her as a major recurring character in Season 5 of Angel.

caitaintdead

caiters gonna cait
Black Thorn
I dig the hell out of both the character and the member ;)

In terms of the character though... I would have loved to have seen her as a more regular guest. The actress bought a real delicate sensitivity to what could have been a very 'one note' character. Easily the best character that wasn't one of the official AI gang. I didn't get her as a love interest to Angel but I would have liked to see more of her and Gunn.

PaulParmar1

Spuffy Forever
Sineya
I dig the hell out of both the character and the member ;)

In terms of the character though... I would have loved to have seen her as a more regular guest. The actress bought a real delicate sensitivity to what could have been a very 'one note' character. Easily the best character that wasn't one of the official AI gang. I didn't get her as a love interest to Angel but I would have liked to see more of her and Gunn.
Me too!
She is so fantastic and amazing!!
One of my favourite minor characters in the whole series!
Gwen in S5 could've been great!

Athena

Has anyone seen my human vessel?
Staff member
Black Thorn
I've always wanted more Gwen....

Character and member. ;)

Why oh why they didn't utilise her or delve more into her interesting backstory I'll never know. :rolleyes:

W

WillowFromBuffy

I didn't like her. I like our Gwen Raiden much better.

She doesn't fit the aesthetic of the show. This is is not the X-Men. Illyria was a stretch, but Gwen Raiden was full on S&M superhero.

Mr Trick

Scooby
I liked what we got, but would have liked more. Think a small arc of about 6 or 7 episodes might have been useful. Her in S5 could have worked well.

EarthLogic

Scooby
Black Thorn
I didn't like her. I like our Gwen Raiden much better.

She doesn't fit the aesthetic of the show. This is is not the X-Men. Illyria was a stretch, but Gwen Raiden was full on S&M superhero.
I liked her. I liked the idea of a woman with strange powers who's struggling to deal with feeling like a 'freak' and Alexa was really good with that. That was definitely in keeping with the themes of the show. But yes she was also a blatant borrowing of Rogue from X-Men. Now if they'd gone on to develop her story to reveal something demonic or mystical it could have worked really well.

PaulParmar1

Spuffy Forever
Sineya
I liked her. I liked the idea of a woman with strange powers who's struggling to deal with feeling like a 'freak' and Alexa was really good with that. That was definitely in keeping with the themes of the show. But yes she was also a blatant borrowing of Rogue from X-Men. Now if they'd gone on to develop her story to reveal something demonic or mystical it could have worked really well.
Totally agree with this!
Instead of Illyria I always thought we should've kept Fred alive and had Gwen in the last 6 episodes or so

sk

The Overlooked One
Sineya
I was convinced that she would become a regularly occurring character, like Faith, when she arrived.
They gave her a much deeper introduction than usual and she really stood out in a good way.

Was very disappointed when I realized that wasn't going to happen.

/SK

Top Bottom