• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Twelve thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Gwen's Last Name

Luciferian

-=Rabbit Idustrial=-
haha im slow....i watched the series for the 4th time through and i just got that her last name Raiden is the same thing as Raiden from mortal combat.. yay.....dont make fun of me :(

InsaneMystic

Ex-Scooby
I don't know anything about Mortal Kombat, but I took it as a (pretty cheesy, to be honest) reference to the ancient Japanese god of thunderstorms.

Lindsey McDonald

Spirit Boy
Raiden is Japanese for thunder. It's ridiculously overused as a name for people who have similar powers, because it sounds cool and Japanese. I like it as a name for the house, but as a character name it's silly, especially as its her surname.

Lindsey McDonald

Spirit Boy
I never played MK as a kid, so my first Raiden experience was in MGS. The name is everywhere though. MGS Raiden didn't even have lighting abilities, but they mysteriously appeared later on for no apparent reason.

M
Mozzymandias
I hated Raiden, his voice was too high pitched holding up guards didn't have the same effect as Snake.

Tueuse de Vampires

Love will tear us apart..
What a clever little pun. I didn't get it until everyone here pointed it out. Well, then again, I have no idea about Japanese, so no wonder.
And it also took me some time to catch Gwen's last name. To be honest, I caught it for the first time when somebody was explaining what the house names here stand for.

A
Aethra
Haha, me too!

InsaneMystic

Ex-Scooby
I only learned her last name here on the board too, but as I said, I find the pun a little too obvious.

Da Letter Jay

Please, just call me Jay.
I'm a HUGE Mortal Kombat fan, so the name "Raiden" will forever identify as a Mortal Kombat character in my mind. It will take time for me to mentally separate it as a BB house and as Gwen's last name.

Lindsey McDonald

Spirit Boy
I'm a HUGE Mortal Kombat fan, so the name "Raiden" will forever identify as a Mortal Kombat character in my mind. It will take time for me to mentally separate it as a BB house and as Gwen's last name.
Ah, it's ok, the Raideners don't say much about their house anyway, so you'll be fine. They're a very quiet bunch.

Washburne

Protector of the key.
Black Thorn
Ah, it's ok, the Raideners don't say much about their house anyway, so you'll be fine. They're a very quiet bunch.
They´ve bacome much better. Haven´t you seen all the Raiden pride around the boards lately? I love it. Drogynites might talk, but you´re now the ones showing the least pride in your sigs. You´re one of th few. Get your act together! ;)

And to get back to the topic. I´ve never played MK so I sure didn´t see the connection. I had heard the name before but never really gotten the connection to thunder or japanese. It´s good to learn something new. :)

Mumrik

The Unicorn Hunter
Huh, I never got the connection but I don't know the least bit about Japanese so... go figure.
I always figured Raiden came from "to raid" because she's a thief. Doesn't make the pun any better if you ask me.

But it's great as a house name! :)

Top Bottom