• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:

1. You really should register so you can chat with us!

2. Fourteen thousand people can't be wrong.

3. Buffy-Boards loves you.

4. See 1 through 3.

Come on, register already!

Happy Anniversary - discussion

Spanky

Scooby
Black Thorn
But do we? Why are we meant to feel sorry for him?
Yeah, I never thought we were meant to feel sorry for him as much as empathize. Which is what Angel was doing when they went to the pub for a pint. The guy was wrong for his actions and he was stopped, but Angel empathized with his plight as they were both lead astray by manipulative women.

Priceless

Scooby
But she doesn't know that! Her intent is what matters, when judging her actions and character, not the fact that he happened to overhear so she is technically off the hook.
But it is a technicality that would win her a court case. Plus I still don't think dumping someone after sleeping with them is anywhere near as bad as freezing them in time and I can't believe you are equating the two. Surely you'd rather be dumped than frozen?

If someone had sex with me fully intending to break up with me immediately after and knowing I was not aware of that, I would consider that to be sex by deception and the consent I thought I had given to be null and void and that sex would therefore be sexual assault. What if I got pregnant from this one last time? What if she does? As far as she is aware, Gene is not consenting to single fatherhood and a child by his ex (and he isn't consenting to that, because he thinks they will be frozen in time forever) but that could still be the consequence of her 'sympathy bone'.
All very good points, though I don't think a court would get involved in a guy breaking up with you after sex. Morally it would of course be wrong, the guy/girl who did that would not be a great person, but maybe they just didn't want to hurt you or break up with you on your anniversary? But I couldn't really defend them. As for getting pregnant, I think that probably happens a lot and then you'd work it out either by yourself or with them. At least you'd be unfrozen and able to do that.

Btvs fan

Scooby
But do we? Why are we meant to feel sorry for him?

But doesn't this just reflect badly on Angel?
It does reflect badly on Angel but that's not how we are meant to see it

Last edited:
TriBel
TriBel
Thanks...that's what I presumed.

DeadlyDuo

Scooby
we as an audience are expected to feel sympathy
I think there are several instances throughout both shows where the writers expect the audience to feel a certain way (the way the writers tell them to feel) and the audience don't. Riley is a prime example- multiple examples of "red flag" behaviour that would be considered warning signs for Buffy to run a mile, yet the writers have one of her best friends tell her she should want to be in a relationship with that guy, that she'd be foolish to let him go and that he's they guy who "comes along once in a lifetime".

I think @Myheadsgonenumb makes a valid point that the girlfriend was going to have sex with the guy under false pretences. She didn't care about how he'd feel about it, it was all about alleviating her own guilt. She didn't know that he'd overheard her plan so as far as she was concerned, he was unaware of what her plans were. Just because he's in the wrong doesn't mean her wrongdoing should then be ignored.

I think Angel maybe sympathises with the guy because of what happened with Buffy. He slept with Buffy and it was clearly very meaningful for her, then Angelus completely destroys her by pretending it was nothing and that he was just being nice to get her into bed. He thin kind of compared her to a prostitute. That moment did a lot of damage to the Bangel relationship.

Top Bottom