• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Twelve thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Harmony in Angel season 5

Priceless

Scooby
The lack of female characters in Angel S5 was pretty glaring, and for that alone Harmony was needed. She was fun, great comic relief, but she also had a complexity that made her interesting. Of the two main female characters in S5, Harmony and Fred, Harmony is by far my favourite.

PaulParmar1
PaulParmar1
& Fred wasn't even Fred the whole season. She was Illyria so the writers adding someone we knew in Harmony was awesome

caitaintdead

caiters gonna cait
Black Thorn
Harmony is the only character that started in the first episode of Buffy and ended in the last episode of Angel.
What about Angel?

I loved Harmony in Season 5. Added a much needed lightness to the show. She almost reminds me of the comedic role that Spike held in Season 4 of BtVS. I didn't particularly need any more of her than what we got though. If we were to see more of Harmony she would have needed to evolve. This defeats the entire purpose and enjoyment of Harmony and there was arguably no time by season 5 for an evolution story. We saw Cordelia evolve slowly over 6 seasons and it felt believable but I don't know if it would have felt authentic to see her change so rapidly.

PaulParmar1
PaulParmar1
Totally agreed!

nightshade

Your grandfather is a cat
Staff member
Black Thorn
I think she helped to add lightness to the season, to show that they were coming away from the darker tones of the show from before. The show was visually lighter in season 5 and she fit into that. She also added another female character into the show, and someone that was easy to use to explore the vampire with a soul vs without a soul, plus she was another tie to Sunnydale.

J

joseph

Should Harmony have been so focused upon in Angel season 5? Should she have been a main caster? I like her a lot,but she didn't seem important enough to the story line to be in that highlighted position. It seemed to take away from the usual tone of the Angel show. So,what do you think? :)
Yes I like Harmony & Spike when they arrived on Angle it Made it better.

DagonSphere

Potential
Harmony became such a fun character once she became a vampire and I think putting her into Angel made her even more interesting than if she had just recurred on more seasons of Buffy as a recurring villain. Having her work for Wolfram and Hart really gave her something to do and to be seized as comic relief, which is something that would not have been quite as possible as a recurring villain on Buffy. It is kind of funny that whenever Cordelia left, Joss brought in two new characters to replace what she brought to the table, in Buffy it was Spike and Anya, in Angel it was Spike and Harmony.

AlphaFoxtrot

Scooby
The Network told them that they needed a female character to join Fred, and Fred's legs didn't count, and they needed a lighter season after Season 4. I assume it was also a thank you to an actress who had served ME well for the run.

Ethan Reigns

Scooby
Sineya
Harmony does deserve some respect. Sure, she's not the sharpest pencil in the box but she fought alongside the others and became a casualty by being sired and deserves the respect due to a wounded or fallen soldier. Looking at the Buffyverse from an entertainment point of view, Harmony is one of the better characters - you know it's going to be fun when she's around and one thing Angel and Ats needed was fun.

BaskingINBangel

I'm a little bit bison
I never cared for Harmony all that much, until season five of AtS. She added some much needed comedic relief, and was just a lot of fun. I even enjoyed "Harm's Way."

Season five of AtS is my favorite though, so maybe I'm just biased towards everything from that season?

WillowFromBuffy

To be or not to evil.
To clarify, Harmony and Angel were both in the unaired pilot, but David's appearance was in a deleted scene.
Lol. This makes the question of which character truly bookends the Buffyverse even more complicated. It is kinda Angel but it's kinda Harmony but it's kinda both.

Normally, I would say that a deleted scene doesn't count, because it is not part of the finished product. But neither is the pilot, as it too went unaired/was "deleted."

The most obvious answer is Angel. It is the answer that feels "right." But Harmony is the funniest/most interesting answer.

Last edited:

AnthonyCordova

Earth Invasion Taskforce Unlimited
Sineya
I liked Harmony, especially in S5. Harm's Way was a really fun episode and she was a great foil to play off of. I thought they handled well the amount of time she received too; she wasn't the center of attention enough to become a distraction. She was effective in her supplementary role for the season by providing occasional humor and levity in a pinch.

DeadlyDuo

Scooby
I think it's important for shows to have recognisable supporting characters outside of the main cast. It helps world building. If a show becomes too focussed on the main cast and "guest star of the season" then it really strips away the world building (the show Once Upon a Time suffered this extremely badly from Season 3 onwards amongst other problems). For Buffy, by having characters like Jonathan and Harmony, it makes the town of Sunnydale feel a little bigger than just the scoobies. Having Harmony in Angel Season 5 helps Wolfram and Heart feel a little bigger than just the main crew and the nameless employees.

WillowFromBuffy

To be or not to evil.
I think it's important for shows to have recognisable supporting characters outside of the main cast. It helps world building. If a show becomes too focussed on the main cast and "guest star of the season" then it really strips away the world building (the show Once Upon a Time suffered this extremely badly from Season 3 onwards amongst other problems). For Buffy, by having characters like Jonathan and Harmony, it makes the town of Sunnydale feel a little bigger than just the scoobies. Having Harmony in Angel Season 5 helps Wolfram and Heart feel a little bigger than just the main crew and the nameless employees.
I often wish they could have gotten supporting characters from the high school years to work as extras in episodes were there weren't speaking lines for them. Or maybe they could have made some stock footage of Harmony, Larry, Jonathan, Amy, etc, sitting at their desks or walking down the hall to sprinkle over other episodes. It would have made the school environment seem more familiar.

Top Bottom