• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Twelve thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Harmony is seriously underrated as a character

Anyanka Bunny Slayer

Doomstar Requiem
Black Thorn
I simply ADORE Harmony. She's not very bright, but she keeps trying. She's completely clueless, yet never gives up on whatever her plan may be.

Harmony Kendall went from clique-ish high school girl to inept vampire in a heartbeat. She's an annoying, vindictive girl who happens to have fangs. But I truly feel that she deserves more props...this is a wonderful character who ALWAYS entertains me; moreso than Cordy, Xander, Andrew (blech!) or Dawn.

Thoughts?

Octavia

My arse is not pansy!
Sineya
I agree Harmony is underrated - especially in s5 of Angel. Laptop is about to die now though! Look forward to coming back to read more.

Spanish Flame

It's Not Easy Being Green
I do also agree. Harmony is absolutely fun specially fun when she turns into a vampire.

On Season 5 Mercedes McNab does a fab work on her, and her character is awesome - not to take a serious note on her but to laugh because I kinda think that her and Lorne are meant to entertain us and take a bit of humour on all the Apocalypse thing.

(PS I do love Andrew, Xander and Dawn! )

Mr Trick

Scooby
I don't think she's underrated. Its just I do enjoy the character for a lot of her run and I don't get the hate she gets. If she was a lead character who took up too much screen time I could understand it. But she doesn't. I enjoyed her becoming a vampire too:)

Athena

The original one-eyed chicklet
Staff member
Black Thorn
I quite like Harmony and I loved the dynamic she had with Spike. I wish it was revealed how they met and became a couple.
See, I just saw her relationship with Spike as just an excuse for a male character to treat her abysmally. Harmony was a ditz, but she deserved better than being treated like second best to his infatuation with Buffy.....

DeadlyDuo

Scooby
See, I just saw her relationship with Spike as just an excuse for a male character to treat her abysmally. Harmony was a ditz, but she deserved better than being treated like second best to his infatuation with Buffy.....
I wish they'd never gone the Spuffy route with Spike, I didn't like it. In regards to the Harmony/Spike pairing, it's difficult to say what makes it so enjoyable. It's just one of those things where it shouldn't work but it does (if that makes sense?).

Priceless

Scooby
I really like Harmony and think it's funny that there is actually no difference between human Harmony and vampire Harmony. I like her relationship with Spike, they are such a mismatch but it sort of works. She's a superstar in the comics who is always entertaining when she pops up.

Spanish Flame

It's Not Easy Being Green
I wish they'd never gone the Spuffy route with Spike, I didn't like it. In regards to the Harmony/Spike pairing, it's difficult to say what makes it so enjoyable. It's just one of those things where it shouldn't work but it does (if that makes sense?).
It does make sense. I cant tell either way why it's funny to see those 2 togethet (Spike and Harmony)

Slayrunt

Oh ho! Aren’t you Mr. Dicey Semantics?
Mercedes plays her so well! I ended feeling so sorry for her most of the time lol. I mean she's evil but ya know, spikey was a meany.

Bluebird

two by two, hands of blue
Black Thorn
Mercedes McNab is a physical comedy genius. I end up just laughing at her body language! But yeah, I don't think Harmony is necessarily underrated but she isn't that well liked. She's like Andrew in that way.

Mr Trick

Scooby
I don't think that's fair. We know from the start of the show the sort of character that Harmony is and she lives up to that throughout with just a little bit of a twist when she becomes a Vamp. I don't really see anything sexist about her thing with Spike. He's superficial and so is she:p

cryptwarmer

I'm in charge of morale!
Black Thorn
I'm a huge Harmony fan. I sneak her into my fan fics whenever I can. I think she's beautiful, entertaining, and sadly a bit tragic. I hated how Spike treated her, even for a vamp/vamp relationship he was horrible to her. I didn't like her until she became a vampire and a character in her own right. When she was just a mean girl she was boring.

After she was vamped, I didn't find her character annoying, I found her amusing. I would have loved for her and Spike to have had a non abusive relationship at least for a little while because I think they could have been hysterically funny together.

That scene when she pulls the stake out and he blanches and says "You had that thing in OUR BED???" is one of my favorite BTVS scenes ever. And signing the note with a heart over the i...she made me smile. A LOT.

Mr Trick

Scooby
Yeah she was pretty bland as part of Cordy's Mean Girls clique. I thought she did a good job in that role too. Its just it was underwritten.

Octavia

My arse is not pansy!
Sineya
She is very funny, she has the ditzy blonde down pat.

In season 5 of Angel she does her reception job well - and she is just so cute in Harms Way trying to please, and prove her innocence. I had even forgotten on my latest watch that she had been in bed with Hamilton, I love her last interaction with Angel. It cracks me up and feels very true to the show to me. I miss this kind of banter.

HARMONY
Oh, my God!

ANGEL
Hamilton.

HARMONY
(high pitched, defensively, backing away from Angel)
He's not my boyfriend. I mean, I certainly didn't betray you.

ANGEL
(pushing himself to his feet)
Drop the act, Harm.

HARMONY
It's not an act. I'm really this nervous.

ANGEL
(stands)
I knew you'd turn on me. I just didn't know when.

HARMONY
(annoyed)
What do you mean you knew?

ANGEL
Loyalty really isn't high on your list.

HARMONY
Oh, is that right? I'll have you know I am damn loyal, dumbass.
(crosses her arms)

ANGEL
(walks slowly, painfully toward her)
You betrayed me. You are betraying me now, even as we are talking.

HARMONY
(raising her voice)
Because you never have any confidence in me.

ANGEL
No, because you have no soul.

HARMONY
I would if you had confidence in me.

Hamilton is on his way down in the private elevator.

ANGEL
Get out of the building.

HARMONY
Are you firing me?

ANGEL
Among other things, yes.

HARMONY
(meekly)
Do you think I could get a recommendation?

ANGEL
Yeah, OK.

HARMONY
But see, if you don't so much live as the other thing, how—

ANGEL
It's already in the desk.

HARMONY
(excited)
You're the best.
(goes to the desk to get her things)
(Hamilton walks out of Angel's office, slowly heading straight for Angel)
Good luck. Um... may the best man win?
(shrugs, exits)

Blair

Vamp Blair
Sineya
I loved Harmony. I wish that she popped up more often throughout the series.

"Slayer, we meet as last"

I absolutely loved some of her ditzy lines. I thought she was great

DeadlyDuo

Scooby
I would have loved for her and Spike to have had a non abusive relationship at least for a little while because I think they could have been hysterically funny together.
I wouldn't say Spike and Harmony's relationship was abusive. It wasn't caring and considerate, especially on Spike's part, but I think "abusive" is the wrong word (kind of like if you fell down stairs and your head connected with a wall on the way down, did you bump your head or whack your head? Both "bump" and "whack" are describing the same action of hitting your head but they have different connotations, "whack" implies a harder force that might require medical attention whereas "bump" is probably something you could just walk off).

cryptwarmer
cryptwarmer
He was horrible to her. He STAKED her.

GwenRaiden

AKA Apology Girl
Black Thorn
I love Harmony as a character. Especially in Angel s5. It was good to have an old face from Sunnydale around after Cordy pretty much leaving the show. I was slightly put off Mercedes McNab though, after hearing about McNab not being great with fans (I think it was @Lyri who told a story about that), which is a shame.

Blair

Vamp Blair
Sineya
I met Mercedes a couple of years back. I do recall that she was one of the last guests at the con to get to the signing area. She was pleasant enough. I had told her that I had traveled four hours just to meet her and she smiled and said thank you and such.

I will say this, I do prefer vamp Harmony than human Harmony.

ChaseRules

When it comes to dating I the Slayer.
Sineya
I'm a huge Harmony fan. I sneak her into my fan fics whenever I can. I think she's beautiful, entertaining, and sadly a bit tragic. I hated how Spike treated her, even for a vamp/vamp relationship he was horrible to her. I didn't like her until she became a vampire and a character in her own right. When she was just a mean girl she was boring.

After she was vamped, I didn't find her character annoying, I found her amusing. I would have loved for her and Spike to have had a non abusive relationship at least for a little while because I think they could have been hysterically funny together.

That scene when she pulls the stake out and he blanches and says "You had that thing in OUR BED???" is one of my favorite BTVS scenes ever. And signing the note with a heart over the i...she made me smile. A LOT.
I like how after Harmony gets turned into a Vampire she become so much better a character . She definitely was difference then most Vampires. They seems to lose something but Harmony seemed to gain something . I know I liked Vamp Harm a lot more then High School Harm.

And while a lot of people have said she betrayed Angel I think it was the opposite of that . Angel set her up to do that so him saying she turned on him when he set up the whole thing shows that she didn't . I don't see why more people don't get that :confused:

Top Bottom