• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Twelve thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Harry Potter

nightshade

Plotting and planning
Staff member
Black Thorn
Over the August Bank Holiday weekend 2 friends and I did a Harry Potter movie rewatch and now we are doing a full book reread. We're all in different houses too, one a Gryffindor one a Hufflepuff and one a Ravenclaw. I'll let you guess which is mine!

We're trying to find questions and little info things to go along with the read, Pottermore has a bunch of information, it's just a case of trying to find bits that relate to the chapter or book that we are reading.

Have you done a reread with others, how did it go? Do you do the Pottermore book club?

Favourite moments from the books?

Buffy Summers
Buffy Summers
Slytherin? :p
thrasherpix
thrasherpix
Ravenclaw
DeepBlueJoy
DeepBlueJoy
Ravenclaw, of course!

nightshade

Plotting and planning
Staff member
Black Thorn
Everywhere but Pottermore sorted me as a Slytherin, but Pottermore chose somewhere else for me and I've slowly come to accept my new house.

Spanky
Spanky
That sucks. It was Pottery Barn's Harry Potter collection. They had tons of crap.

nightshade

Plotting and planning
Staff member
Black Thorn
@Spanky I don't need more stuff I'm kinda addicted to collecting the Harry Potter Pop figures!

Spanky

Zexy Mercenary
Black Thorn
But come on! You have to admit this is cool and it's well worth your buying it

And not that I would wear them, but I love the Daily Prophet pajamas

nightshade
nightshade
No idea, page not available here so can't see anything

nightshade

Plotting and planning
Staff member
Black Thorn
Ok found a bunch of it on Pinterest, and yes it is gorgeous stuff

Spanky
Spanky
I didnt think the images would have come up as not available. Odd

brinkster130

Riley's BFF
Staff member
Sineya
I've completely forgot about pottermore. I joined way back when it was new and was sorted, but I don't remember what house I got. I haven't reread the books, but its something I've always thought would be fun to do.....my to-read list is just always so long.

There are a few podcasts that go chapter by chapter that could be interesting to pair with some chapters. Harry Potter and the Sacred Text is suppose to be good. I've also heard good things about Unspoiled: Harry Potter, and The Weird Sisters podcast.

nightshade

Plotting and planning
Staff member
Black Thorn
Yeah Pottermore isn't as fun as it was when it first launched, but it has loads of information, family trees, wandlore etc.

Don't think I would have time for a chapter by chapter podcast this time around, I think that would slow down the reading, maybe in the future if I was doing a reread on my own I could do it with podcasts.

Taake

Maybe it was taquitos. Maybe he lived for taquitos
Staff member
Black Thorn
I actually just re-read them this summer! Though I still enjoyed them there were a lot of things I didn't quite like this time around, like the treatment of Slyherin, and I had very little patience for their teen-nonsense once they get a little bit older and whinier. Don't get me wrong, still really enjoyed them, but my perspective had definitely changed. I haven't finished the re-read though, still have book 7 to get through but I'm putting that off for now.

Favorite moment in the books… hm, maybe the Triwizard tournament, because I thought it was great to get some insight into other schools as well. It's not so much a moment as a series of events, but that's the first thing that comes to mind.
Otherwise it's probably finding out about Snape's past, but as I haven't gotten to that part of the re-read my opinion on that might've changed. :)

Chapter by chapter sounds like a life-long process come the later books, lol.

nightshade

Plotting and planning
Staff member
Black Thorn
I wish we did get to find out more about other houses, it's heavily Gryffindor based and Ravenclaw and Hufflepuff are barely mentioned, with their characters being far less developed than others.

nightshade

Plotting and planning
Staff member
Black Thorn
I'm now into reading the second book, and there's so many little things that are mentioned that play a bigger role later on. The vanishing cabinet that Draco spends time fixing in book 6 is broken here by Peeves.

nightshade

Plotting and planning
Staff member
Black Thorn
One of my issues with the films is the casting, I think that a lot of the actors were too old for the characters. The Dursleys especially, Petunia would have been in her mid twenties when Harry was left with them, and Lily and James were 21 when they died, yet all looked a lot older.

DeadlyDuo

Scooby
One of my issues with the films is the casting, I think that a lot of the actors were too old for the characters. The Dursleys especially, Petunia would have been in her mid twenties when Harry was left with them, and Lily and James were 21 when they died, yet all looked a lot older.
Moaning Myrtle's actress was in her 30s and she played a character that was in her mid to late teens so the Dursleys aren't really an issue. They may have just aged the characters up a little bit for the films. Better to get an actor that can play the part rather than necessarily looking the part.

They gave Scabior a bigger role in Deathly Hallows Part 1 than he ever had in the book. I think they aged him up too.

Taake

Staff member
Black Thorn
I can't help but feel like the older casting is part of it being from a "child's perspective", where kind of everyone over 30 is basically the same old dinosaur.

It does really annoy me when it comes to Harry's parents as seen in the magic mirror though, because the actors could be the parents of 11 year old sure, but not his parents when they died. So basically, you age after death? ;) But I think it falls into the "they look like parents from a child's perspective" thing, hence the older actors.

nightshade

Plotting and planning
Staff member
Black Thorn
@Taake I could see that if the child was younger, but at 11, I don't believe that really works. I suppose we could say that Harry's desire was to have parents, so that he sees them as they would be had they not died.

Taake

Staff member
Black Thorn
@Taake I could see that if the child was younger, but at 11, I don't believe that really works. I suppose we could say that Harry's desire was to have parents, so that he sees them as they would be had they not died.
I meant more from the audiences perspective than Harry's. But fair enough on Harry! I suppose the mirror being magic it could've tapped into his wishes and aged up the parents in his vision.

nightshade

Plotting and planning
Staff member
Black Thorn
I do recall after the third film came out, how people were saying that it was the worst casting, and that Gary Oldman had ruined Harry Potter. I didn't think either him or David Thewlis were how I thought of Sirius or Remus.

Top Bottom