• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:

1. You really should register so you can chat with us!

2. Fourteen thousand people can't be wrong.

3. Buffy-Boards loves you.

4. See 1 through 3.

Come on, register already!

Has anyone heard anything from the reboot?

Cyberdemon

Townie
Sorry if this isn't the right place.
it feels like it's been forever since it was announced and now it feels like it'll never happen. was it quietly cancelled?

Kendar

Townie
Reading between the lines of various things, I suspect it is dead. COVID knocked everything for a loop, and the allegations against Whedon were probably the death blow.

At this point I suspect Buffy will be shelved for 5-10 years until someone decides to do something without Whedon's involvement (if that's possible).

Cyberdemon

Townie
Reading between the lines of various things, I suspect it is dead. COVID knocked everything for a loop, and the allegations against Whedon were probably the death blow.

At this point I suspect Buffy will be shelved for 5-10 years until someone decides to do something without Whedon's involvement (if that's possible).
ouch
this is such a slap in the face to fans. out of all the 90s shows that got a reboot buffy deserved it the most
tbh i didn't think the allegations were going to affect this because i didn't think whedon was going to involved?

Kendar

Townie
ouch
this is such a slap in the face to fans. out of all the 90s shows that got a reboot buffy deserved it the most
tbh i didn't think the allegations were going to affect this because i didn't think whedon was going to involved?
Whedon was originally supposed to be an executive producer, and there was also the possibility he'd write some episodes. At this point I don't think any option involving him is feasible.

Cyberdemon

Townie
Whedon was originally supposed to be an executive producer, and there was also the possibility he'd write some episodes. At this point I don't think any option involving him is feasible.
💔

RonWesley

Townie
I completely fail to see the point of a Buffyverse show without Whedon. *shrug*

Without Whedon, we only have a VERY conservatively designed vampire show with really just a single important twist - the slayer.

At that point, any other vampire setting is probably more compelling. Where vampires have free will, arent always evil, dont have to avoid the sun, etc. Makes for a much more flexible setting for storytelling.

Punkie

Townie
The only Buffy I want to see is all the original people come back, but it seems unlikely.

thrasherpix

Scooby
I completely fail to see the point of a Buffyverse show without Whedon. *shrug*

Without Whedon, we only have a VERY conservatively designed vampire show with really just a single important twist - the slayer.

At that point, any other vampire setting is probably more compelling. Where vampires have free will, arent always evil, dont have to avoid the sun, etc. Makes for a much more flexible setting for storytelling.
Though I do miss the days when vampires represented the outcasts with weaknesses to balance out their strengths, rather than the superheroes of today (and sometimes illuminati on top of that) that should be mutants (or witches, like those in AHS: Coven and Apocalypse) instead of vampires.

And when they're so old and powerful with superhero attributes (often with extensive administration skills as well), they just look silly when they start hissing at each other (like "fledgling, please"), as opposed to those who have to fight a Beast within themselves all the time (at least keep it reined in strategically) and often find survival in the modern world to be an extreme challenge (at which point hissing doesn't look so silly).

I also don't like how shipping eclipses all else (even an apocalypse), as opposed to a tragic or sinister romance that was AN aspect of the story, but that's a problem in Whedon's work as well.

famicommander

Potential
I feel that an adult animated series (ala Harley Quinn on HBO Max) would be the best route to take. It would allow a wider range of stories to be told without the limitations of expensive CGI technology and/or time-consuming make up and practical effects.

Plus you don't have to worry about your actors aging out of their roles, you can have more characters to play with, people like Tony Head can record their lines from home overseas, and you can recast people if you really have to (like Xander).

RonWesley

Townie
Though I do miss the days when vampires represented the outcasts with weaknesses to balance out their strengths, [...].
Why yes, thats a possibility.

I didnt say, or, well, I didnt MEAN to say you have to have ALL the things I've mentioned AT THE SAME TIME.

But having vampires have free will already opens a lot of story possibilities, compared to having vampires just be evil and thats it.

After all thats what BtVS did, too, by giving them a soul and/or a chip, or at least by giving them a personality beyond "likes doing evil".

Lyle Gorch for example decided in the end he rather would like to live than die to the "slayer" Cordelia Chase, instead of operating on "fighthing until the slayer kills you" like most other vampires. Mr Trick tried the same, really, except he couldnt handle two slayers at the same time.

The most interesting vampire setting that I know is "Vampire: The Masquerade", which has amazing layers and layers of depth and lore. Like different ethical codes to live by, to fight the innner beast which is alwas in danger of taking over. Different modes of living. Many different vampire clans, each with their own lore and properties. Different groups you can belong to, depending upon the age in question. Many vampiric abilities. Many different levels of powers and the attempt to gain more for yourself. Differend ways to create allies, with different advantages and shortcomings. Many other magical creatures you can find in the world, like werewolves. A long history even back to prehistorical times. VERY fun.

T
thrasherpix
Agree on V:TM, my first LARP with fond memories. I haven't seen much of that lately, what I've tried being more power fantasies than anything (even the 90s TV version of V:TM, not to be confused with the V:TM it pretended to be).
Top Bottom