• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Twelve thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Has Giles a high opinion of Xander?

Ripper666

Home sweet virtual home!
I noticed several episodes where Giles talks less positive about Xander. For example when in Doppelgangland everybody thought Willow is a vampire Xander says that she was a good person better than him. Giles answers something like "much better."
Or this epic quote:
Giles: "You're not real. They show me things which I want to see..."
Xxander: "But why would you want to see me?"
Giles: "You're right let's go"

So what do you think? Does Giles see Xander more like a pupil or as part of his team? Has he a high opinion of Xander?

AmelRIOT

Angelsbitca
I think Giles sees Xander as the naughty son the one who jokes about everything but loves him, Giles just wishes Xander doesn't joke as much cause in a lot of serious cases like the end of the world or when tons of demons were hunting for Buffy all Xander did was joke (problz his way of hiding true emotion) and Giles just wish he took things more seriously I think later in the series Giles understands that when Xander jokes he hides the fact that he is scared or worried. Even though Xander does get on Giles' nerves, Giles loves him the same amount of the others and is glad he is in the team.

R
Ripper666
Very well written
I think Giles doesn't warm up to Xander as much as he does with Buffy and Willow. There was always that need in Xander to have Giles' approval and considers Giles a father, but Giles doesn't seem to want the same thing. Xander's dream in Restless shows Xander moving on from his desire to have Giles as a father, when Giles chose Spike over him as a son. It's heartbreaking.

R
Ripper666
[No message]

kittenpoker

Raising penguins in Guam
Sineya
Great question! I think that the bonding moments between giles and xander are fewer and farther between than they are with giles and buffy or willow - but they are there. I do think giles values xander as part of the team - but he's harder on him than on the other scoobies and more easily annoyed. In the end I believe he loves him though. I also think there's a lot we don't see....for example in one scene it opens with xander saying "what kind of crazy system do you have?" when putting away books on his shelf and giles answers "the alphabet." And it's just the two of them - who knows how long they'd been there and what they'd talked about etc...

And xander was the one who "outed" giles for having a tv. "he's shallow just like us" or something. :)

I think essentially Giles is harder on Xander than the others, because he sees how much potential there is in Xander. Yes, he doesn't have any superpowers, but he has the heart, and the Scooby Gang would crumble without him. Giles recognises that Xander may use the excuse of being relatively powerless to perhaps not reach his full potential and resent himself, and so he has to be harder on Xander to get the best from him.

It's all for his own good, and I guess it's how Giles shows Xander that he loves him.

SinisterPledge
SinisterPledge
Interesting idea!
F
Freddles
[No message]

brinkster130

Riley's BFF
Staff member
Sineya
I never got the feeling that Giles ever really thought highly of Xander. He never seemed really fond of him and tended to regard him as the silly unhelpful baggage they were stuck with. I think Giles saw Xander as a nuisance first and foremost.

That being said I think if Giles were to be honest, he would have some positive things to say about Xander despite his annoyance. I think on some level Giles would have appreciated and admired Xander's dedication and loyalty to Buffy and the Scoobies.

D
drizzlydaze
[No message]
I definitely feel Giles has a low opinion of Xander in the High School seasons. They just don't seem to have anything much in common - Giles is a hard-working, scholarly guy who's been training to be a Watcher all his life and is responsible for Buffy's welfare, while Xander is a slacker-type who jokes about everything.

But during Season 4, I think Giles starts to like Xander a little more - while Buffy and Willow are attending college and becoming more capable at dealing with supernatural problems on their own, Xander is often seen at Giles's apartment and the two seem to be bonding a little over their loss of purpose and feelings of inadequacy. Also, that's the season when Spike and Anya are integrated into the gang, making Xander look not so bad after all to Giles.

By the first few episodes of Season 5, they've both found a renewed sense of purpose and their jobs mean they don't spend so much together. They go back to relating mainly through their mutual friends - previously Buffy and Willow, now mostly Buffy and Anya - but I think Giles still has more respect for Xander from that point on than he did in earlier seasons.

white avenger

white avenger
I think that Giles saw Xander as pretty much what he actually was: the weakest member of the team. The guy who gets sent for doughnuts. And now before all of the Xander lovers on the Boards start making plans for burning me at the stake, let me point out that he pretty much formed that opinion at a time when that was exactly what Xander was, and that was, at that time, just about all that he was good far. He didn't have superhuman strength like Buffy or Faith and he couldn't work magic like Willow. He didn't even have any actual military training and experience like Riley, despite a few residual "memories" resulting from a Halloween spell. About the only positive thing that Giles saw about Xander was that he was human, which put him a couple of rungs above vampires, soul or no soul, mystical keys, and former vengeance demons.

In the later seasons, beginning about the latter part of Season 5 and going on on through the rest of the series, I think that Giles opinion of, and respect in, Xander grew. He was still the team's weakest human link and the guy who got sent for doughnuts. But he was also the guy who could replace the broken windows.

S
sisterofmercy
[No message]

prophecygrrl

The girl in question
I think Giles was mildly annoyed by Xander mostly in the high school years, but he probably genuinely liked him as a person. By the later seasons, Xander has a steady job, he's much more grown up from his high school days, and is pretty dependable. I don't think Giles has much of a problem with him then. His main issue might have been with Xander's innappropriateness and immaturity in high school.

R
Ripper666
[No message]
D
drizzlydaze
[No message]
F
Freddles
[No message]

mellowyellow

Civilian with a stake
Earliest season that I began watching was around season 3. At that time, I saw a little tension between Giles and Xander. You could really see that Giles is annoyed of Xander's presence. I remember moments where Xander would go off about something irrelevant and Giles giving him that long whytheheckareyoutalking stare.

In the later seasons though, Giles' respect for Xander does grow. Like what previous posters have said, Xander becomes more of an individual and fulfills his responsibilities like what mature adults should do later on. When he finally grew up and out of that stage and sees the world in a new perspective is when he earns the full respect of Giles.

So for me, Giles sees Xander as his pupil in his high school years. He's still teaching him the ways, etc. But by the time university and post-university came, Giles' opinion of Xander grows. He doesn't see him as a pupil anymore, imo.

HisMrs

The Walking BED
Sineya
In the beginning I felt like Giles saw Xander as more of a nuisance than anything else. He dealt with him because of Buffy and Willow, but I don't think he really had a high opinion of him until later on when Xander proved his loyalty to Buffy and the fight to keep the world safe from demons and evil forces, and his manhood by working to support himself. In the later seasons, I feel like Giles had much more respect for Xander. I don't think they were ever close, but I do feel like Giles finally came to see Xander for the man he was trying to be, and he respected him for that.

Xin Rong

Killed by Dissertation
He has a low opinion of Xander, but in a nice way. He's almost like a naughty pet, that Gile's loves, but gets frustrated with for its dumbness.

Sineya
Xander was Giles' first mistake - Xander was the one who heard the slayer / watcher discussion in the library before anyone else in the first episode.

He has to be rescued in "Teacher's Pet".

He becomes a hyena-brain in "The Pack" and doesn't do much better with "Inca Mummy Girl" but escapes danger in "Bad Eggs".

Xander also raised Buffy from the dead by CPR at the end of the first season, which eventually caused the next problem - Faith and her assigned baggage of Wesley.

He is the target of a love spell in "Bewitched, Bothered and Bewildered".

He solves the enigma of the swim team in "Go Fish" but triggers a number of breakups in "Lover's Walk".

He is part of the rescue in "Gingerbread" and identifies the killer in "Earshot".

Xander does some heroic things in "The Zeppo" to get a bomb defused - but all anyone ever finds out about is that he was bedded by Faith.

He is Buffy's general in "Graduation Day".

He isn't really a force in Season 4 and doesn't come into his own until "The Replacement" where he is split into successful Xander and loser Xander and the recombination becomes mainly successful Xander with a good job, an apartment with a view, the company car, and a pretty girlfriend who he becomes engaged to and leaves at the altar in Season 6.

He saves the world from Dark Willow at the end of Season 6 and Giles realizes that Xander is the only one who can stop her.

He become a casualty in Season 7, but is there for the final battle.

He is entirely missing in "Conversations with Dead People", the only episode he is not in.

Giles does not consider him to be a scholar of the sort that could help Buffy and regards him as immature a lot of the time and he is right. Not everyone is cut out to be a researcher, but the first point still stands - he was in the library when Giles discussed the duties of the slayer with Buffy. So he is stuck with Xander as one of the scoobies whether he likes it or not.

It partly because of how old fashioned Giles is. So when Xander makes a joke or is casual about a dangerous sistuation then Giles thinks that it should be all about taking care of business and not mucking around. With Willow and Buffy there seems to be more of an understanding of when to joke and when to focus.

And because Willow is smart and helps out with the research more than Xander, and Buffy is his project as the Slayer then I do think that sometimes Xander is forgotten about.

But later on I do think Xander gains Giles' respect.

thetopher

Member of the Church Of Faith
Sineya
I think its a simple as Giles not liking Xander's sense of humour and not being able to understand him on any level.

With Buffy his has the Watcher/slayer partnership and comes to admire many of her qualities in a fatherly way, and with Willow he respects her intellect, her skill with research and her dedication.

But what doe he have with Xander? They have nothing in common to build upon- I think that's where the 'low opinion' comes from, it's more 'I don't understand you or why you're here' rather than true dislike. Giles is bemused.

Blaze

Let it Burn
Black Thorn
Odd, I didn't think so many people viewed the Giles/Xander relationship this way. To me Giles has always had a sarcastic snark to him, he always gets annoyed at Buffy, Willow and Xander being dumb teenagers. If anything, I think Giles and Willow have the most tense relationship out of the three.

The only odd moment for me was that Giles wasn't present to Xander's wedding, that is really weird to me. You'd think he would have came back for that moment.

RoxySilver

Fan student
Black Thorn
It's a good question.
I do believe that Giles "prefers" Willow and Buffy because of their power, and maybe because they're girls?
I feel Giles is more judgmental of Xander than he is of Willow and Buffy, who he is incredibly protective of.
In "Beauty and the Beast", you can feel that Giles is incredibly annoyed at Xander for falling asleep and letting werewolf Oz annoyed. It was super dumb, but Willow and Buffy did stupid things that had larger consequences, and somehow Giles was more supportive of them, because magic and feelings were involved. He has a daddy protective attitude towards them both. I'm not sure I'm being clear...

Also, Giles is old fashioned, and I can't help but feel that he is protective of girls. Willow, Buf, even Anya and Faith, whom he wants to help... But Xander, good Spike, good Angel, Riley... do not really get his trust. It's interesting because he is the more protective of the most powerful women he'll ever meet. Is he "mad" at guys for not being that powerful? After all, he needs to be protected as well and might become a liability from time to time.

Jeez, my post doesn't make any sense. Sorry :D

Black Thorn
I think Giles dislikes Xander because he brings/brought nothing to the team initially. After Graduation his attitude towards him changed a little as both Giles and Xander were 'left behind' and had that in common. But initially I believe it was because Xander generally played the role of the buffoon on the show as the reason Giles did not like him.

Black Thorn
I think Giles does have a high opinion of Xander. He might not rave about it but there's definitely a respect there. How could there not be when Xander has saved his life and repeatedly puts his own life on the line to protect the people he cares about and the world as a whole. No doubt Xander can frustrate him and he finds his immaturity tiresome at times but I don't think that means he has a low opinion of him.

It's worth keeping in mind that both Giles and Xander have real issues with their own fathers so this type of bond isn't an easy one for them.

There were a handful of moments where Giles appears to support and like Xander:

1) The Pack when he kept Xander's secret. That was a great moment for Xander to have an adult supporting him, the experience was very traumatic for Xander and it's great to see Giles step up and help him.
2) Bargaining Part 1, that Xander/Giles hug was sweet.
3) When Xander announced his engagement to Anya, Giles and Xander had a cute father/son moment on the stairs.
4) Grave: Giles knew Xander would save the day, he believed in him and was very proud when Xander stopped Willow.

I can't think of any other moments. Most of the time, Giles is annoyed by Xander and is usually harsher on him than the others, he'd also had a lot of uncalled sassy remarks directed at Xander.

Top Bottom