• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:

1. You really should register so you can chat with us!

2. Fourteen thousand people can't be wrong.

3. Buffy-Boards loves you.

4. See 1 through 3.

Come on, register already!

Article Have You Googled Her Yet? (An Analysis of 'I Robot You Jane')

Priceless

Scooby
Well you lost me at the first line. The 90's were bloody brilliant for music. Watching Glasto '98 right now and grooving to them tunes. Also, Harry Potter isn't bad either 🤣

Really interesting read, thanks for posting . I think I disagree with you about Angel not being a source of authority, he very much is for both Buffy and Giles (and the scoobies to a lesser degree). He brings Giles the Codex, he discusses Buffy with him etc. Buffy also looks up to him for advice. I'm not sure what 'structually' means when you say he's on the same level as the teen characters.

Ireflection

Townie
Well you lost me at the first line. The 90's were bloody brilliant for music. Watching Glasto '98 right now and grooving to them tunes. Also, Harry Potter isn't bad either 🤣

That's mostly me taking a potshot at JK Rowling tbh. XD

Really interesting read, thanks for posting . I think I disagree with you about Angel not being a source of authority, he very much is for both Buffy and Giles (and the scoobies to a lesser degree). He brings Giles the Codex, he discusses Buffy with him etc. Buffy also looks up to him for advice. I'm not sure what 'structually' means when you say he's on the same level as the teen characters.

So what I meant by "structurally" is that he's not a Mentor, that's not his role in the narrative. He sometimes has some experience or specific knowledge, but he's not somebody that the other characters go to for exposition or guidance. He also doesn't have official authority in the way that Giles and Jenny do as watcher/teacher. I think the only character in Buffy that Angel acts as mentor to is Faith.

Priceless

Scooby
That's mostly me taking a potshot at JK Rowling tbh. XD
She's a feminist shero to me XD

So what I meant by "structurally" is that he's not a Mentor, that's not his role in the narrative. He sometimes has some experience or specific knowledge, but he's not somebody that the other characters go to for exposition or guidance. He also doesn't have official authority in the way that Giles and Jenny do as watcher/teacher. I think the only character in Buffy that Angel acts as mentor to is Faith.
Yes, I see what you mean, thanks for explaining more fully. I hope you post more of your reviews, I am enjoying them.

Punkie

Townie
There was no Satanic Panic in the 80s.

People weren’t afraid of Dungeons & Dragons.

Everyone wasn’t into Tamagotchis. Kids were.

I suspect this is Yet Another young person trying to sound authoritative on a matter about which they have very little info, most of it gleaned through zippy Google searches.

thrasherpix

Scooby

I suspect this is Yet Another young person trying to sound authoritative on a matter about which they have very little info, most of it gleaned through zippy Google searches.

There most definitely was a panic that caused innocent people to be imprisoned for imaginary crimes, and it's well documented, with many (including on the Left) exploiting it for personal ambition and gain. But I'm surprised when young people today are actually aware of it.

And as bizarre as it sounds, some thought the spells in D&D were real, but then in later decades some would say the spells in Harry Potter were real. The difference in the latter case is that the Satanic Panic was no longer in effect so it could gain no traction. (But I did know a library board member who aspired to higher politics that was terrified of Harry Potter books, wouldn't even look at the librarian wearing a wizard hat made by kids as if she could cast a spell on him. Glad to say I haven't heard of him since so he apparently didn't realize his political ambitions, though enough other religious nuts have.)

Qanon has about revived it, but not as much as I feared they would backed by social media.

WillowsFaith

Potential
Cool read. This episode always takes me back to elementary school when my teacher would make us watch boring P.S.A videos about creepy old men using the Internet to talk to young people. I’m aware it happen a lot back then when the Internet wasn’t as censored.

TriBel

Scooby

"Role playing games like Dungeons and Dragons (D&D) are case studies which faced significant and widespread criticism from Christian detractors who saw the gaming community as "a Satanic conspiracy threatening society"."
"Everyone" might be a bit hyperbolic but they were pretty popular in the UK.
In all fairness, that's how a lot of student essays are written (and several of my own). 😏

thrasherpix

Scooby
The best books (for the layman anyway) is The Satanic Panic: the Creation of a Contemporary Legend by sociologist Jeffrey Victor who documents all the details with references and footnotes. Friends and relatives I knew got hit with some of the patterns of mass hysteria even in the 90s (but it was the Texas Bible Belt) though it was much stronger in the 80s so I missed the worst of it.

Another one, scary to contemplate, is written by a police officer with a sociology degree who attended police workshops to "find Satanists" which were essentially scams, but the panic had police officers looking for the bogeymen as well, and detailed in Pursuit of Satan: Police and the Occult by Hicks. (Adding to the fearsomeness of the last one, a campaign aimed at police officers told them to learn more by contacting certain organizations, which included far radical right, and even the Ku Klux Klan!)

But I'm sure most don't want to read those lengthy books, let alone track down the sources, not all of it easily found online given that it was the 80s. So, just two slices of it that was far more complex than just this...

As time marched on, the switch moved to video games (at least part of the social fuel is that both parents were working in a nuclear family model which meant kids had a lot of time alone, so in guilt many parents were all too eager to target the media their kids enjoyed, despite that parents used such media as babysitters), and about the time Buffy the Vampire Slayer begin to show, it had moved to the "geek hunts" (though this was against anyyone who was different, such as goths, but those online referenced their experiences more and organized protests against it online, and thus they got more attention).

Even in the 1980s the movies showed how nervous society was about computers (some quite good, but that's beside the point), and that would only grow in the 90s.

Though it had mostly calmed down by 2000, it was still lingering, and flared up bad after the Columbine shooting. One girl was even expelled for hexing a teacher. That is, for using magic. (They got away with it as well, though this seems to be because the ACLU tried to turn it into a first amendment right issue when she wasn't even Wiccan, so it fell apart.)

Here's a bit more, including how Diane Sawyer of 20/20 fed into it:

Geeks were targeted as well, even with congressional hearings on the dangers of video games in the early 90s, and blaming video games for Columbine (though saying school shooters played video games was almost like saying school shooters ate pizza).

Last edited:
Spanky
Spanky
Do you remember that old Tom Hanks movie?

Ireflection

Townie

To be honest, I'm not very proud of that opening paragraph either. I hope you enjoyed the rest of the piece at least, and didn't stop there.

Top Bottom