• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Twelve thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Headcanon Sexualities?

WhyCantiStay

Please, Wesley...
So the Whedonverse is pretty progressive in terms of LGBT characters, but do you have any headcanons for specific characters that haven’t been shown on screen or on page? Or do you have an “I wish” scenario? I’m super gay and super into projecting onto characters, so I’m curious if anyone has anything to say on this topic!

WhyCantiStay

Please, Wesley...
Oh yes, Faith is totally bi! I love that Eliza confirmed she portrayed her as such at a con a few years back. She definitely had some complicated feelings for Buffy.

Giles and Ethan I can definitely see! I like that!

What do we think about Lorne? Obviously he’s fairly feminine, but I get the impression he was pretty asexual.

I’m rereading After the Fall right now, and it’s definitely me projecting myself on him for the most part, but I could see Connor being pretty open minded? He just seems like such a chill dude. Maybe bi or pan. Maybe he prefers older women AND men? LOL!

Monkey Pants

Bored Now
Black Thorn
Faith - lesbian
Buffy - bi
Cordelia - on the asexual spectrum
Fred - pansexual
Dawn - possibly lesbian or bi
Giles - probably bi
Angel, Spike, Darla and Drusilla - definitely had some bi love affairs back in the day
I also headcanon Oz as transgender sometimes.
The only two I'm really adamant about are Faith and Buffy though.

maddie
maddie
I'M THE SAME except i think cordy is bi ace but. faith is a lesbian and buffy is bi... it's just the facts

thrasherpix

Scooby
Lorne is one I can't figure out. He could be asexual, or he could be gay or bi. The only thing I don't really see him being is straight. Though I wonder just how much peering into the souls of others when they so much as hum would affect how he could be attracted to someone. It's rare in the extreme for people to get to know each other very intimately and live together for several years and not have problems (though the love may be stronger, but then again it could also just be too inconvenient or worse to leave). Is Lorne seeing inside of people like that? Or put another way, people tend to fall in love with the fantasy of a person, and later come to see the person more than the fantasy, but Lorne would see the flawed person from the start, and sensing their soul could have an affect, perhaps an even stronger one, than appearances.

Hmmm, maybe this deserves it's own thread...

As for the others, my headcanon not explicitly stated by the show (or even contradicted by it) is Faith and Willow are both bi, but that's not me projecting.

WhyCantiStay

Please, Wesley...
Lorne is one I can't figure out. He could be asexual, or he could be gay or bi. The only thing I don't really see him being is straight. Though I wonder just how much peering into the souls of others when they so much as hum would affect how he could be attracted to someone. It's rare in the extreme for people to get to know each other very intimately and live together for several years and not have problems (though the love may be stronger, but then again it could also just be too inconvenient or worse to leave). Is Lorne seeing inside of people like that? Or put another way, people tend to fall in love with the fantasy of a person, and later come to see the person more than the fantasy, but Lorne would see the flawed person from the start, and sensing their soul could have an affect, perhaps an even stronger one, than appearances.

Hmmm, maybe this deserves it's own thread...

As for the others, my headcanon not explicitly stated by the show (or even contradicted by it) is Faith and Willow are both bi, but that's not me projecting.
Really interesting observations! Maybe his asexuality stems from his abilities. I'd be interested in reading through his perspective on how he views love and attraction, if at all, romantically.

crazysoulless

Scooby
In A New Man when Buffy gently kneed Ethan in the back, it looked so natural, like he was her unruly uncle, partner of her pseudo father Rupert.

Willow is a lesbian. I think she only thought she was in love with Xander because she grew up feeling ignored and insignificant and he was the only one who wanted to be near her every day, even if platonically. With Oz, he was the first person (male or female) to show romantic and sexual interest in her and it made her feel special and seen. He adored her and every romance she's had on the series has involved her needing adoration. Oz. Tara. Kennedy.

Dawn is pansexual. She doesn't care if you're male, female, nonbinary, human, vampire, thricewice, or other. I'm shocked she didn't hook up with any of the Potentials, but then those girls were annoying and took away the focus of the people she spent the previous season complaining weren't spending enough time with her.

Xander is straight but can recognize an attractive person because he has eye.

Buffy has a hard enough time with her love life without giving thought to what her sexual orientation is. She's just like everyone who loves me ends up in a Hell dimension or married or fakes their own death.

thetopher

Member of the Church Of Faith
Sineya
From what we're shown I can reason:
Ethan Rayne and Giles having a thing back in the day; so bisexual.
Willow is gay as of S7 which is exactly when the writers decided it; before that I would've characterized her as bisexual.
Faith is pretty openly bi-sexual (asking Buffy out on dates/lusting after her plus leaving the club with Lilah...).
Xander is straight but pretty comfortable with his sexuality to see an attractive guy and comment on it. Post-high school they could've made him gay/bi and I would've believed it.
Andrew is bisexual on the show and ret-conned as completely gay in the comics.

Despite what many fans think there's little evidence to suggest that Angel and Spike aren't straight, at least when they have souls. I think Angel might be more open to that sort of thing, given that he has had plenty of close male friends. Spike mostly come across as a bit homophobic.
Lindsey lusts after Angel; so bi-sexual.
Cordelia is straight; the straightest.
Lorne is mostly asexual; the odd comment aside he never acts attracted to anyone.
Buffy is bi-sexual because of Satsu...but prefers vampires I guess; that's probably more of a fetish. :p

Puppet

You rocks think you're so smart.
Black Thorn
The only ones I'm sure of are that Willow and Faith are both bisexual. Other than being sure Buffy is straight, of course :) But then that's just me.

Fool for Buffy

I'm just being a big nerd again
Sineya
Buffy is bi-sexual because of Satsu
I consider this experimenting by a straight woman. Sleeping with one girl does not make you bisexual.
I assume Lorne was coded gay to give AtS a sense of urban cool, but they didn't really want to explore male homosexuality.
Definitely agree with this.
Cordelia - on the asexual spectrum
Fred - pansexual
Angel, Spike, Darla and Drusilla - definitely had some bi love affairs back in the day
I also headcanon Oz as transgender sometimes.
I see no evidence on either Fred or Cordy; in fact, I agree with @thetopher Cordelia is absolutely straight. The only time Fred's sexuality is explored beyond men is flirting with Willow, which is a stretch to even say bisexuality.
As far as the fanged four, I also believe it's fair to say they've all done it together and with each individual.
Agree with the common opinion about Giles and Ethan and Faith being bisexual.

Andrew is bisexual on the show and ret-conned as completely gay in the comics.
On the show, Andrew always seemed to be in denial for me. I don't think he's bisexual, just struggles with being gay.

thetopher

Member of the Church Of Faith
Sineya
I consider this experimenting by a straight woman. Sleeping with one girl does not make you bisexual.
I also factor in Buffy's reactions to Faith's flirtations/innuendo in some of S3; plus Buffy slept with Satsu on more than one occasion and made clear she very much enjoyed her experience.
That seems more 'on the sexuality spectrum' rather than in the 'straight' box; to me. :)

On the show, Andrew always seemed to be in denial for me.
In S6 Andrew clearly liked girls (the Ricci-bot) and then later crushed on Warren, then in S7 he was crushing on Spike and Xander- but later over on Angel he was dating girls in Rome.
Honestly its rare to have any sort of depictions of bisexual men so I would've liked him to remain so.

Mylie

Scooby
Buffy : bisexual, there's absolutely no valid reason for me to think she isn't. She's enjoyed sex with a woman and in my opinion has showed to be attracted to women. I can definitely see her fall in love with one. Add to that the fact that she was never allowed to label herself because everyone else decided for her that she was straight.

Willow : lesbian, to me this is a clear case of a woman having suffered from compulsory heterosexuality. This is the case of many lesbians and something I've experienced myself so for me her sexuality makes a lot of sense. And she's labelled herself as such so... pretty easy!

Faith : Homoromantic bisexual, I think she is attracted to both genders but I can't see her falling for a man. I can definitely see her having a romantic relationship with a woman.

I don't have a clear headcanon for Dawn. I think she's the kind of character where I can imagine her as straight, lesbian, bi, pansexual, anything could fit. I'm pretty open to anything for her, but I like to think of her as a baby lesbian.

Grace

Destructo-Girl
Black Thorn
As far as the fanged four, I also believe it's fair to say they've all done it together and with each individual.
I would have thought that before The Girl in Question, which made it seem like they actually didn't have a lot of group sex. Even Angelus didn't get to sleep with Dru and Darla at the same time. I think Angelus and Dru had sex with all of the others, and it's possible Dru was in the mix during "that one time." But my headcanon is that Darla would never sleep with Spike.

Fool for Buffy
Fool for Buffy
Darla and Spike are certainly the only ones in question. I still think it's happened, Angelus was just whining in TGIQ
Mrs Gordo
Mrs Gordo
That’s my head canon as well.
Fuffy Baith
Fuffy Baith
Darla always seemed annoyed by Spike, to me.
W

WillowFromBuffy

But my headcanon is that Darla would never sleep with Spike.
My headcanon is that Spike would never sleep with Darla. I imagine Darla felt like a third wheel after Spike killed the Chinese slayer.

Fool for Buffy

I'm just being a big nerd again
Sineya
In S6 Andrew clearly liked girls (the Ricci-bot) and then later crushed on Warren, then in S7 he was crushing on Spike and Xander- but later over on Angel he was dating girls in Rome.
Honestly its rare to have any sort of depictions of bisexual men so I would've liked him to remain so.
He always shows interest in girls in front of others. It seems very much denial for me. He desperately wants a straight image, whether in front of Warren and Jonathan, Buffy, Angel and Spike, etc.
I also factor in Buffy's reactions to Faith's flirtations/innuendo in some of S3; plus Buffy slept with Satsu on more than one occasion and made clear she very much enjoyed her experience.
That seems more 'on the sexuality spectrum' rather than in the 'straight' box; to me. :)
Again, enjoying sex with another woman, doing it more than once, can still fall into the "experimenting" category. Buffy just wasn't single for long enough in college to do it then, so she was a late experimenter. I also think the Faith stuff is a lot of innuendo by Faith with a lot of oblivion by Buffy. I didn't ever see Buffy have a reaction to suggest she actually wanted Faith. It's fun to joke about and imagine, but in reality I think Fuffy is one-sided.

thetopher
thetopher
I guess we see things differently. :)

Grace

Destructo-Girl
Black Thorn
My headcanon is that Spike would never sleep with Darla. I imagine Darla felt like a third wheel after Spike killed the Chinese slayer.
I thought Darla's disdain for Spike remained pretty evident even after he killed the Chinese slayer. I am way more willing to believe that Darla got sick of the two of them without Angelus around, rather than that Spike had the opportunity to have both of them and turned it down. Especially given Darla's history with Angelus and Spike's inability to resist anyone Angel(us) has gotten to first. :p

Top Bottom