• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Twelve thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Headcanon Sexualities?

Monkey Pants

Bored Now
Black Thorn
Faith - straight
If Faith's straight then so am I, and I'm definitely not :p No but seriously, to me Faith being attracted to women, specifically Buffy, is extremely obvious in the text. Her obsession with Buffy was clearly romantic in nature. She flirted with her endlessly, was jealous of all her boyfriends, and says she wanted Buffy to love her. It could possibly mean in a friendship way, but that seems like a flimsy excuse to me. I'm not going to touch if she's actually attracted to men or not (I don't think she is) but I can't imagine thinking she's not at least bi! To each their own though I guess ;)
Tara - Bi
Tara was canonically a lesbian.

ChaseRules

When it comes to dating I the Slayer.
Sineya
If Faith's straight then so am I, and I'm definitely not :p No but seriously, to me Faith being attracted to women, specifically Buffy, is extremely obvious in the text. Her obsession with Buffy was clearly romantic in nature. She flirted with her endlessly, was jealous of all her boyfriends, and says she wanted Buffy to love her. It could possibly mean in a friendship way, but that seems like a flimsy excuse to me. I'm not going to touch if she's actually attracted to men or not (I don't think she is) but I can't imagine thinking she's not at least bi! To each their own though I guess ;)
QUOTE]

I never thought Faith was straight She at the very least is bi .
And don't forgot when she work from her coma & was yelling at Joyce how Buffy had left them both .

thetopher

Member of the Church Of Faith
Sineya
It's based on the general assumption of vampires being more hedonistic and the line about "that one time".
'that one time' could be anything and you're stating 'oh, this makes them bi'- plus the vampire-sexuality thing isn't something the show dwells on, its mentioned elsewhere by writers/fans. VampWillow is an exception and that only outlines Willow's sexuality; eventually it turns out she's 'kinda gay' a swell.

Again there is no evidence shown that Angelus and Spike ever find any guy attractive. There's far more evidence to suggest Faith finds Buffy attractive.

She sleeps with a snake. I think that's a bigger difference than man/woman so pansexual makes sense to me.
Oh, you're including the comics? Willow sleeps with a definite female snake-demon. Pansexual is a bit of a reach.
Oh, and totally 'straight' Buffy slept with a woman on multiple occasions; so is sex some kind of factor?

Straight people turning to gay sex / relationships in prison is a well known phenomenon.
And yet its far more common for guys or girls not to get turned gay by prison.
It's true that some partake but the vast majority do not.

And, as I pointed out, Faith was there to atone to for sins- something she would later be willing to give her life for- not there to get in on with some criminal she couldn't blow off the next day.

Now it could have happened and she's not mentioned it, like she's never shown any interest in women on the outside either,
Leaving aside Buffy and the small mountain of evidence that she has a sexual interest in (certainly MUCH more than Angelus or Spike); Faith leaving the club with Lilah in 'Five By Five' is pretty darn suggestive given what she says.

ChaseRules
ChaseRules
Agree. There a mountain of hints that say that Faith likes Buffy . And a few hints that say Buffy likes Faith too.

The Bronze

Rogue Demon Hunter
Black Thorn
I'm not going to touch if she's actually attracted to men or not (I don't think she is) but I can't imagine thinking she's not at least bi!
Tara was canonically a lesbian.
I struggle to get my head around this position. On the one hand Tara shows an exclusive sexual interest in women and so she's canonically a lesbian. On the other Faith shows an exclusive sexual interest in men so she's bi or possibly a lesbian.
Again there is no evidence shown that Angelus and Spike ever find any guy attractive.
My head canon basically sees them as straight but with some potential flexibility. Vampires having less hang ups etc.
Oh, you're including the comics? Willow sleeps with a definite female snake-demon. Pansexual is a bit of a reach.
Willow fancied Xander but wasn't sexually active at the time. She then fancied Oz and slept with him. Then fancied Tara and slept with her. Then Kennedy and slept with her. Then a snake demon and slept with her. I just see Willow liking whoever / whatever and doing whatever she wants.
Oh, and totally 'straight' Buffy slept with a woman on multiple occasions; so is sex some kind of factor?
I mostly chalk it up to bad writing and trying to generate an interest in the comics. But it happened so I'd put Buffy in roughly the same spot as the vampires mostly straight but has shown an interest in the same sex.

As for Faith I would just find her actions from Seasons 3 and 4 even more evil, creepy and disturbing if she loved / fancied Buffy. So I prefer to give her the benefit of the doubt and assume she doesn't.

Taake

Prophet of the Lord
Staff member
Black Thorn
Faith and a few others seem like a sore point for a thread about headcanon, let's not forget to respect other people's view of the show while discussing this topic.

Faith leaving the club with Lilah in 'Five By Five' is pretty darn suggestive given what she says.
That she saw an easy mark to rob?

ChaseRules
ChaseRules
Good point about Fait & Lilah.

DeepBlueJoy

Lion Faced Kitteh
This is MY head canon that I believe is supported by the events in the TV series. It does NOT include the comics, as I do not consider them canon. Since I don't consider the comics anything more than fanfic by the man himself, and there's fanfic I think is way superior, the comics have no bearing on my opinions about the characters.

Remember this is MY opinion, please.

BtVS:

Vampires: sexual opportunists. I got the impression from canon that all the vampires slept with each other, so I don't know if I'd ascribe sexualities to Angel, Spike Dru and Darla, but I would consider them sexually indiscriminate. I believe Spike is the most clearly hetero of the four, forming emotional connections to both Dru and Buffy. Before the soul, Angel was an army of one, emotionally... sexually; I think he would have slept with whomever he wanted to dominate. Dru I think was too broken to care, most of the time. Darla... well, professionally, i think she would have done whatever gave her money, after that, I'm not sure.

Buffy pegs as straight. Nothing in canon gives me any indication she'd be interested in women.

Dawn pegs as straight, though I could sooner see her as curious about other options than Buffy.

Willow is lesbian, IMO, and her excursions in boys town are a function of growing up in a world with only straight role models and straight expectations. Had she had a gay or lesbian example or another lesbian student, I suspect her sexuality would have revealed itself before vampire Willow opened her eyes. Arguments can be made for her bisexuality, but dating a guy in a heterocentric world does not make one automatically bisexual.

Tara is a Lesbian, cis female

Kennedy is a lesbian butch cis female.

Oz is straight. His gender identity is mostly cis male, but he's comfortable with unconventional gender roles.

Xander is probably straight, but his sexuality is open to question/interpretation. He expresses very specific opinions on the attractiveness of men on several different occasions. This means he notices men. I cannot remember ever hearing any straight guy volunteer opinions about the attractiveness of other men, though if asked, they'd answer. Xander volunteers such information. I think the writers were building him so they could make him gay (as was initially considered according the the writers).

Most heterosexual men notice and comment on women, but it's not unusual for a heterosexual man to curb that in the presence of other women (Buffy and Willow, so there's no evidence he's not noticing women and plenty of evidence of his interest in several different women). He does express attraction for a woman when out with Willow... when he sees Dawn dancing in the Bronze). So Xander is straight, or bi with a preference toward females.

Anya is straight - a lot of her troubles come from the men she's so intertwined with.

Joyce is straight. A lot more sexual than she lets on.

Snyder is a virgin. Probably heterosexual and not celibate by choice.

Giles is bisexual. Years ago, he was in a relationship with Ethan and Ethan is in love with him and angry b/c Giles won't give him time of day in the present. I doubt Giles was in love with Ethan, and I believe part of Ethan’s rage is because Giles rejected him. It doesn’t make sense that Giles would care about someone evil, so I suspect that Ethan is more angry than truly evil.

Ethan is gay. His dream of a life with Giles was shattered for good after their friends started dying, though it was probably never going to happen, given the world they grew up in and Giles' having other options.

Riley is probably gay, though he will probably marry and have a family like a good Christian boy would. He never said anything that indicates interest in males, but he set my gaydar off.

Riley has no sexual chemistry with any women on the show, and plenty of good sexual chemistry with his brother soldiers and with Xander and even with Spike. He seemed more like he was more looking for a wife, than attracted to a girl, if that makes any sense. He’s filling a role, not forming a relationship. He needed Buffy to need him to reassure him they were OK, because they had very little actual connection and he didn't have what it took to make connection with any woman. Control and possessiveness, and serious neediness replaced actual intimacy. He lacked the confidence to woo Buffy himself from the beginning, even though he is a very attractive, educated and physically put together man. He had to ask Willow for help. Most attractive heterosexual adult men like to believe they have what it takes to get the girl. Predictably, Buffy didn't react well to the attempts at control.

Andrew is gay, though he tries to hide it. Gay men often enjoy being social with women, so his Italy ‘dating’ doesn’t mean he’s bisexual, though it may mean he's still trying to stay in the closet. Another possible interpretation of his sexuality is that he hasn't quite figured it out yet...

Jonathan is probably bisexual, though he's much more about being accepted and connected than sexuality of any kind. So, somewhat asexual, needing emotional connections.

Warren is straight. (Unfortunately), though it is 1% possible he is gay and hates women, I think it's simpler than that. He just hates women and needs power and control and to cause hurt in order to get off. Warren's entire identity is bound up in having and holding onto power. His sexuality is simply an extension of this. He is a sociopath with zero empathy for anyother human.

Faith is straight, but she’s slept with women in prison. She is definitely heteroflexible. She likes sex and sexual release. She prefers men, but will sleep with women if they’ll get her off. Faith is a sex abuse and/or rape survivor. She doesn't trust men. I don't believe this has 'turned her gay'.

Slayers in general: I believe the strong streak of power in all slayers makes them a little bit heteroflexible, as they are deeply wired to 'take care of' others, and most normal women feel like someone they should take care of... and therefore be able to connect with the way men tend to connect with women... (this could be used to explain Satsu, if someone wanted to) I first got this vibe from Kendra. Buffy didn't seem to notice. Then came Faith. Buffy noticed, but ignored it.

Angel the series:

Gunn – straight No sense of any queer or gay identity.

Fred – straight - same as Gunn. She sees and gets attached to men. First Angel, then Gunn, then Lorne and finally Wes. She barely noticed the existence of Cordelia. Willow noticed her. She was taken with Willow's common interest. I didn't see mutual chemistry, only strong desire on Willow's part.

Cordelia – straight - never any indication of any interest in anyone but men. First men with money, then interesting, quirky, complicated men like Xander and Doyle. I don't see her with Angel. She's too frank and he doesn't really want anyone to confront him in his personal life and she is Confrontation writ large! If she'd lived, I think she would have made a good couple with later Wesley. She needed for him to grow up first; she was no shrinking violet. Early Wes was probably a virgin (in Sunnydale)

Lorne – straight. Remember that his mother had a beard and looked masculine, at least by human metrics… gender roles were atypical – remember he was busy sweet talking senoritas when his fellow young men were busy killing things? His interest was in females from way back in Pylea. Yes, the actor who played Lorne was likely gay, so that added to the confusion. Don't confuse gender identity with sexuality. He's definitely genderfluid in 'human' terms, but I believe he likes the opposite sex, whatever that is.

Wesley - straight, though I believe he experimented in very innocent ways, at the watcher’s academy. Possibly heteroflexible or bi, but that is mostly buried. Deeply emotionally enmeshed with Angel. I don't think he'd ever kissed a woman before he kissed Cordelia, that's why it was so bad.

Connor – straight.

Last edited:
Fool for Buffy
Fool for Buffy
Pretty much agree on all this except Faith and Lorne I could be swayed either way

thetopher

Sineya
My head canon basically sees them as straight but with some potential flexibility.
I mostly chalk it up to bad writing and trying to generate an interest in the comics. But it happened so I'd put Buffy in roughly the same spot as the vampires mostly straight but has shown an interest in the same sex.
So then if Angelus and Spike are 'bi' then so is Buffy.
I'm just trying to get your headcannon reasoning straight, so th speak. ;)

As for Faith I would just find her actions from Seasons 3 and 4 even more evil, creepy and disturbing if she loved / fancied Buffy.
Or it would make them a lot more understandable, not sympathetic, but understandable. Unrequited love (a feeling that they might not be able to quanify as such) makes people do messed up things, moreso than simple jealousy.

That she saw an easy mark to rob?
The way the scene plays out it looks very much that Faith left with a pretty woman who never asked her her name or where they were gonna go, and then got defensive and covered when Lilah (who is completely straight) said 'I think you misunderstand my intentions'.
Of course, Faith would've probably rolled Lilah anyway, but she had plenty of money and a place to stay at that point in time.

The Bronze

Rogue Demon Hunter
Black Thorn
So then if Angelus and Spike are 'bi' then so is Buffy.
I'm just trying to get your headcannon reasoning straight, so th speak. ;)
I think I'm happier to head canon all 3 as straight on reflection. Maybe if sexuality was on a line I'd put them a step or 2 off straight towards bi but that's about it.
Or it would make them a lot more understandable, not sympathetic, but understandable. Unrequited love (a feeling that they might not be able to quanify as such) makes people do messed up things, moreso than simple jealousy.
I love you so much I'm going to steal your body and leave you to die in mine? Nah for me it definitely adds an extra ick layer to an already grim period of time. Like the bathroom scene and the Riley incident.

DeepBlueJoy

Lion Faced Kitteh
You don't think Willow atttactive, :eek:
No, I don't either. too needy. too manipulative. too whiny. too judmental. Too bony. Too hipless. Men should be compact and muscled. Women should have curves, even if they're thin. Therefore, Buffy is attactive to me, though she's not my 'type'. Spike is my type, almost to a T, though his chin is weak.

I don't find the following people even marginally attractive - they may be 'pretty' or 'properly proportioned', but they don't do anything for me.

Willow
Snyder
Warren
The Mayor
Andrew
Amy
Riley
Kennedy

I find the following people attractive, though I am not necessarily lusting for them and I may not have always liked what their characters did, but it didn't turn me off so much i forgot their attractiveness:

Spike
Lindsay
Gunn
Wood
Wesley
Xander
Graham Miller
Angel
Lorne

Buffy
Cordelia
Tara
Faith (liked her better as she got older)
Joyce
Jenny/Jana
Anya
Fred
Lilah
Kate

Leaving out:
Connor and Dawn b/c I'm 55, and it creeps me out to even consider whether they are attractive.
Others don't really ping in my head, so i left them out, or they were minor characters. I may have forgotten some people as I haven't watched the show in a while.

thrasherpix

Scooby
Just thought I'd mention that I'm a gay woman and I dated boys in high school. However, it was nothing like how Willow was written and portrayed.

I've also looked into the experiences of other gay girls who dated boys in school (as well as talked to some in real life) and they're all more like me and not like Willow was. Only on BB have I met anyone who claims to have been like Willow. So in my headcannon she is bi, and the writers just don't understand that such an orientation existed, or they dared not go there for some reason. I can, if I try really hard, see Willow as using (in a more subconscious way) guys like Oz and Xander to validate herself and soothe her insecurities, but that just makes me feel sorry for everyone involved. Still, what's one more retcon with all the other retcons in the series?

Anyanka Bunny Slayer
Anyanka Bunny Slayer
Yes, I've ALWAYS seen her as bi. Totally.
Blaze
Blaze
The writers def don't understand (or choose to ignore) that bi people exist. But I'm also defo one of those person that had an experience like Willow, so there's that

DeepBlueJoy

Lion Faced Kitteh
Just thought I'd mention that I'm a gay woman and I dated boys in high school. However, it was nothing like how Willow was written and portrayed.

I've also looked into the experiences of other gay girls who dated boys in school (as well as talked to some in real life) and they're all more like me and not like Willow was. Only on BB have I met anyone who claims to have been like Willow. So in my headcannon she is bi, and the writers just don't understand that such an orientation existed, or they dared not go there for some reason. I can, if I try really hard, see Willow as using (in a more subconscious way) guys like Oz and Xander to validate herself and soothe her insecurities, but that just makes me feel sorry for everyone involved. Still, what's one more retcon with all the other retcons in the series?
Yes, I know several gay people who dated the opposite sex in high school. And they're not claiming any ambivalence about their sexuality. I think the problem with how the character was written, is that straight writers wrote this - straight writers without much of a clue. I think the other problem is that shows set up characters one way, and then they change in mid stream.

I always think that they set Xander up to be gay by giving him lines about how hot various male characters were... and then doing nothing with it. It makes for great fanfic backstory building, if you want to write slash though :cool:o_O

AlphaFoxtrot

Scooby
Re: Faith: I think Faith was using her sexuality to play mind games on Buffy. Remember, Hungry and Horny.
Re: Willow: Holy Riff Regan! It's just TV people. Willow was written as heterosexual in season 1-4, and as a lesbian from 4-7. If you need a reason, a wicca did it.

thrasherpix
thrasherpix
Another theory of mine is that Willow's miscast spell in Something Blue, possibly with a "let me find love spell" by Tara (let's not pretend she never messed with the minds of others) could've turned Willow gay.

sosa lola

Scooby
I always think that they set Xander up to be gay by giving him lines about how hot various male characters were... and then doing nothing with it. It makes for great fanfic backstory building, if you want to write slash though :cool:o_O
That's why Xander/Spike is the second most popular/written about in Ao3. Also Xander's Slash pairings are far more popular than his het ones.

ChaseRules

When it comes to dating I the Slayer.
Sineya
That's why Xander/Spike is the second most popular/written about in Ao3. Also Xander's Slash pairings are far more popular than his het ones.
Agreed . I can see Xander like that so easy . Which is why I see it as Semi-Canon that Xander /Spike is a couple.
At least that keeps him for hitting on Buffy/Dawn :p

Also @DeepBlueJoy . I for one think that Fred was bi myself from what I picked up about how she was in College &
how she got along with Willow .

Taake

Prophet of the Lord
Staff member
Black Thorn
The way the scene plays out it looks very much that Faith left with a pretty woman who never asked her her name or where they were gonna go, and then got defensive and covered when Lilah (who is completely straight) said 'I think you misunderstand my intentions'.
Of course, Faith would've probably rolled Lilah anyway, but she had plenty of money and a place to stay at that point in time.
Guess we see that scene completely differently. Never saw any indication other than the intention to rob a rich woman

thetopher
thetopher
Agreed. The scene is pretty subjective.

thetopher

Sineya
I love you so much I'm going to steal your body and leave you to die in mine?
Firstly did Faith ever know Bufyf was going to die? Prison sure, that was crappy but murder-by-proxy was never (knowingly) on the cards in her mind.
And clearly what Faith did was revenge; not everything Faith does to Buffy is done out of (frustrated/unrequited) love; some things are done out of pure self-hate.
Still, I think of example in some romantic/intimate ships: Darla/Angel, Spike/Buffy, Willow/Tara that are definitely crappier and completely screwed up; but no-one doubts that their feelings were real or invalid.
Love makes you do the wacky (evil) stuff is a theme on the show.

And besides, its not like Faith ever inflicts her feelings on Buffy after all the bad trauma; or indeed has any expectations of reciprocity just because she went and reformed herself for many years afterward.

DeepBlueJoy

Lion Faced Kitteh
Agreed . I can see Xander like that so easy . Which is why I see it as Semi-Canon that Xander /Spike is a couple.
At least that keeps him for hitting on Buffy/Dawn :p

Also @DeepBlueJoy . I for one think that Fred was bi myself from what I picked up about how she was in College &
how she got along with Willow .
Nothing in canon suggests Spike feels anything more than irritation - brotherly irritation at times, but no sexual chemistry whatsoever. Emotionally, Xander and Angel have more in common. He and Angel/Angelus have a ton of onscreen UST.

Potential slash partners for Xander in my head include Angel, Riley & maybe Andrew...if they were trapped on a desert island. I don't like it but I can also see adult Xander w/ Giles. Personally I hate Giles with any scooby. Too incestuous in feeling.

Nothing in canon Fred suggests she returns Willow's obvious infatuation, but they would be a fun couple. And a fiery one, b/c Fred is very straightforward and Willow is devious, and that would annoy Fred. Unlike Tara, Fred is also scary smart and more emotionally worldly - she would catch on even faster than Tara, and be a lot less forgiving. Remember the taser? :p

A good fanfic writer can create backstory that supports any sexuality. I've even seen Buffy credibly written as trans.

We can, of course have our own head canon about anything.

Top Bottom