• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Twelve thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Headcanon Sexualities?

sosa lola

Scooby
Nothing in canon suggests Spike feels anything more than irritation - brotherly irritation at times, but no sexual chemistry whatsoever. Emotionally, Xander and Angel have more in common. He and Angel/Angelus have a ton of onscreen UST.
Chemistry is subjective, since I see it with Xander/Spike more than Xander/Angel. But talking things in common? Xander/Spike have way more in common than Xander/Angel. Way, way, way, way more in common.

Xander/Spike:

1) Both losers being picked on by bullies.
2) Incredibly insecure.
3) Don't take rejection well.
4) Both hate and are jealous of Angel.
5) Both had unrequited love for Buffy.
6) Dawn had a crush on both of them.
7) Both don't mind following a woman's lead.

What do Xander and Angel have in common? I honestly can't think of anything except that they both love Buffy.

Potential slash partners for Xander in my head include Angel, Riley & maybe Andrew...if they were trapped on a desert island. I don't like it but I can also see adult Xander w/ Giles. Personally I hate Giles with any scooby. Too incestuous in feeling.
From that list I have read and enjoyed Xander/Angel and Xander/Giles. I also adore Xander/Graham and Xander/Larry.

But the best Xander ship out there will always be Xander/Spike. There's a reason why it's incredibly popular.

Fool for Buffy
Fool for Buffy
I disagree but you do have very convincing arguments

DeepBlueJoy

Lion Faced Kitteh
Chemistry is subjective, since I see it with Xander/Spike more than Xander/Angel. But talking things in common? Xander/Spike have way more in common than Xander/Angel. Way, way, way, way more in common.
It's headcanon. I don't see what you see. You are welcome to yours, enjoy! I've read Spike/Xander that I've liked, but I mostly just don't see it. Maybe it's because they are too similar emotionally. They don't have any interests in common other than the good fight. I just don't see Xander watching Man U, or reading poetry.

I will grant you that they are both loyal, love Buffy, love Dawn and are deeply emotional. I could even grant that they might find sexual attraction. But I don't see them making a go of a relationship.

But... Xander is a black and white thinker. He's not open to change. He's a lot like Angel in that. Angel is very rigid emotionally and in his mindset. Spike changes his mind and his style every few years. When faced by change, he doesn't fight it... he goes with the flow. It's part of why he eats human foods and changes his style for the fun of it, but Angel only changes enough to fit into the time he's in.

Look at Spike's choices in partners... Dru... she's about as non black and white and as changeable as the wind and mercury... Buffy is the 'enemy' - and she is a very complicated person... emotionally and mentally. He wants and needs complicated. Xander is intimidated by complicated. His interior darkness is too much for him... Anya is too much for him. It's why he runs away.

If he had to choose a vampire, it would have to be one with a soul... b/c that is black and white. That is neat. And Angel is solid and calm. Dependable. A planner. Angel is order. Spike is chaos. He can't even stay on the same side of the fight.

Xander doesn't do (internal) chaos well.

Anyway, we don't have to agree on this. I have my head canon and so do you. After studying them to write over a million words of fanfic, I have my conclusions, however twisted they may be! :cool:

@sosa lola BTW, I think a lot of the Angel hate had to do with lust... combined with losing Jesse. Losing Jesse would have changed 16 year old Xander a lot. Angel was a place to put it... and his sexual feelings for Angel only made him angrier... b/c being gay and coming from HIS background? That is a terrible thing to contemplate. If his dad screamed at him for nothing, can you imagine how he'd react if he found out his only son was a 'fag' (not my term)

Last edited:

ChaseRules

When it comes to dating I the Slayer.
Sineya
I cant see myself Xander going out with Angel for one basic reason . Buffy . Xander is mad at Angel for taking Buffy away from him. That why he calls him Deadboy . He trying to put him down so all I see there is jealousy on Xander part .

And as long as we talking Head Cannon I think Buffy would have been better with someone else beside Angel .

DeepBlueJoy

Lion Faced Kitteh
I cant see myself Xander going out with Angel for one basic reason . Buffy . Xander is mad at Angel for taking Buffy away from him. That why he calls him Deadboy . He trying to put him down so all I see there is jealousy on Xander part .

And as long as we talking Head Cannon I think Buffy would have been better with someone else beside Angel .
Is he jealous of Angel, or angry because she got there first? If you're young, and 'pre' gay, isn't it easier to hate the object of those feelings?

@ChaseRules I agree. Buffy and Angel is a very odd match. Pretty on the outside, but they are oil and water. Light and dark. Music and silence. Grey and a rainbow of color...

ChaseRules

Sineya
Good point about Xander being angry at Angel because it easer then liking him .
I never thought of it that way :cool:

And as long as we doing headcanons what do you think of Buffy/Cordelia o_O

thrasherpix

Scooby
'Course Angel putting Xander in that headlock to use to distract Spike which could've gotten him killed may have left Xander with a bad impression as well. Funny how hurting someone and forcing them to play some equivalent of Russian Roulette can cause them to hold a grudge, but not everyone has a sense of humor about these things. :p

When I rewatched it, I saw that Xander had some good reasons for disliking Angel (feelings he put aside when he had to...most of the time, just as Angel did about Xander...most of the time).

ChaseRules
ChaseRules
I think part of Xander was happy that he was right about Angel.

sosa lola

Scooby
Look at Spike's choices in partners... Dru... she's about as non black and white and as changeable as the wind and mercury... Buffy is the 'enemy' - and she is a very complicated person... emotionally and mentally. He wants and needs complicated. Xander is intimidated by complicated. His interior darkness is too much for him... Anya is too much for him. It's why he runs away.
Xander runs away because he was afraid of turning into his father. It had nothing to do with Anya being a demon.

But... Xander is a black and white thinker. He's not open to change.
I disagree. Xander isn't any more black and white than any of the Scoobies. He's friends with witches and a werewolf. He watched cartoons with Clem. He was against the Initiative. He was willing to accept and defend Tara believing she was a demon. This last point alone shows that he isn't bigoted against demons nor black and white.

Xander is also open to change. He is not the same boy he was in S1. Not to mention that by S7, Xander was the most open-minded when it came to Buffy's decision to keep Spike in the house and had objectively solved the Spike mystery when he came up with the trigger therapy. That's Xander changing from who he was in S6 when he would blame Spike for anything.

I will grant you that they are both loyal, love Buffy, love Dawn and are deeply emotional. I could even grant that they might find sexual attraction. But I don't see them making a go of a relationship.
Spuffy was impossible until canon built it up in three seasons. Spander can be the same. It is a matter of taste in the end. I enjoy Spander more than Spuffy clearly 'cause I like Xander more than Buffy.

And while I adore Xander/Angel, it's far more impossible for me to see than Spander. Xander and Spike experienced more together/worked and petrolled together more than Xander and Angel did, Xander and Spike had hit rock bottom in S4 and were equal for more portions of the show than Xander and Angel ever did. There's just more threads to make a story for them than Xander and Angel, since the only story I could think of is Xander having unrequited love for Angel which I've written a long time ago. There are not that many ideas to write new and original Xander/Angel fics, the way there is for Xander/Spike.

I'm also a huge Xander/Angelus fan (if I'm in a mood for dark fics with really bad endings). I read a fic where Angelus was enraged that Xander stood up to him in the hospital and showed no fear, and with Spike taunting Angelus that a teenage kid got to humiulate the big bad, Angelus decides to put Xander in his rightful place so he kidnaps and rapes him and leaves his naked battered body in front of Buffy's house as a present. (I kinda wish the show went that dark)

@sosa lola BTW, I think a lot of the Angel hate had to do with lust... combined with losing Jesse. Losing Jesse would have changed 16 year old Xander a lot. Angel was a place to put it... and his sexual feelings for Angel only made him angrier... b/c being gay and coming from HIS background? That is a terrible thing to contemplate. If his dad screamed at him for nothing, can you imagine how he'd react if he found out his only son was a 'fag' (not my term)
These are my favorite Xander/Angel fics. I have read a lot of fics with this storyline, which is what I'm talking about. There's a lot of fic ideas for Xander/Spike because they have interacted more and have more in common, while most ideas for Xander/Angel are Xander being attracted to Angel, who doesn't return his feelings, and showing his frustration by hating Angel and pretending to be jealous.

thetopher

Member of the Church Of Faith
Sineya
Good for fanfic, bad for reality. Nobody wants to be (or at least should want to be) with a version of their old self.
I always thought that the Cordelia from 'You're Welcome' could be friends with Buffy; she'd grown a lot/matured and had clear sight and purpose. She'd gone on her own journey just like Buffy. I actually think she'd like somebody like S5 Buffy (S7 Buffy would leave her cold), plus she'd finally HAVE to compliment Buffy on her Season 5 hair; 'I'm actually jealous. This is bizarro world.'

But high school? I see what you're saying. Like the exchange- 'Crazy freak!' 'Vapid whore!' Ouch.

Fool for Buffy
Fool for Buffy
Good points but yeah I was thinking high school :)

ChaseRules

Sineya
Good for fanfic, bad for reality. Nobody wants to be (or at least should want to be) with a version of their old self.
True there . And while it bad in reality compared to some of people that Buffy dated Cordelia was "normal " .

Name the Stars

You can't see the stars, love. That's the ceiling.
Black Thorn
This may be a weird thought, but most of the vampires seem pretty bisexual. Take Angel and Spike for instance.

DeepBlueJoy
DeepBlueJoy
Totally agree. You are top of the food chain, masters of evil & you are hung up about human social mores? I don't think so!

Altoz

Potential
Oz is probably the sort of free-thinking guy who might have had a scene with a dude.
Xander...nah, definitely straight. Can see what gay men see in guys and doesn't have a problem with Larry and Andrew being gay.
Willow...lesbian, after she met Tara and fell heavily for her. Which was prefigured with Vamp Willow.
Andrew...closeted gay man, annoyingly so. Thank goodness the comics resolved that.
Buffy...bi. Dawn...unknown. Dru...straight. Angel...straight/Angelus...polymorphously perverse.... Spike... straight. Jonathan...straight.

DeadlyDuo
DeadlyDuo
I think Dru is Bi because she did sleep with Darla

Altoz

Potential
You do have to wonder about the vampires. I mean, they can have naughty touching with either gender, so why not? Bi? Pansexual? Omnisexual?

thrasherpix
thrasherpix
especially given how any sort of arousal causes "vamp face" to emerge, sometimes even when they try to fight it. It implies to me that the're likely aroused sexually by killing which would blur any sexual identity they had before.

Altoz

Potential
Possibly the gameface could just be a hunger related response, though. I've just seen the episode in which every woman in Sunnydale gets the hots for Xander and it doesn't seem like Dru wants to make a meal of him at that point...

thrasherpix

Scooby
When aroused the vamp face comes out. Just look at Angel kissing Buffy as just one example. I could list others, but it's beside the point. Point is, arousal brings vamp face many times even when they fight it. THEREFORE, if vamp face comes when they feed, then the same arousal could be there. As much as I'm sure this will annoy the Spuffies, it could be that the sexual connotations and seeming desire of Spike for Buffy was combined with his blood lust, though it would be seasons later before he genuinely showed attraction to Buffy as a person. That is, he could feel similar things for a guy when he stalked one, savoring the moment.

Of course it could just be a general id thing, too, and thus implies nothing about sexuality.

Ethan Reigns

Scooby
Sineya
Vamp face is something that can be controlled as we see when Buffy is talking to Holden in "Conversations with Dead People":

HOLDEN Yeah. (face changes from vampire to normal) Whoa. Did my face just change?

BUFFY Yeah. You look human now. You can do that. Go back and forth.

HOLDEN Oh, so I'm a vampire. (laughs) How weird is that?

BUFFY Sorry.

It does not appear to be related to anything sexual but it is something that the new vampire has to learn to control. As for sexuality, the vampire probably retains the sexuality of the person who got sired. Our first hint that Willow was bi was when Vamp Willow attacked her in "Doppelgangland":

Willow: (appalled) It's horrible! That's me as a vampire? (Angel closes the door) I'm so evil and... skanky. (aside to Buffy, worried) And I think I'm kinda gay.

Buffy: (reassuringly) Willow, just remember, a vampire's personality has nothing to do with the person it was.

Angel: (without thinking) Well, actually... (gets a look from Buffy) That's a good point.

WillowFromBuffy

To be or not to evil.
As much as I'm sure this will annoy the Spuffies, it could be that the sexual connotations and seeming desire of Spike for Buffy was combined with his blood lust, though it would be seasons later before he genuinely showed attraction to Buffy as a person.
That should be obvious. Spike's sex dreams, his roleplay with Harmony, the Buffy Bot's lines, his lessons in "Fool for Love" and several of Spike and Buffy's sexual encounter all suggest that.

However, arousal does not necisserily force the vamp face out. "Angel" and "Amends" are the only times it happens involuntarily during sexual encounters, and one of those is in a dream influenced by the Bringers.

thrasherpix
thrasherpix
It happens more than that, like What's My Line, and also a dying Angel drinking from Buffy was sexualized, though I personally didn't notice it until others pointed it out.

WillowFromBuffy

To be or not to evil.
@thrasherpix But sexual desire isn't the trigger in those cases. In the first, Angel fights the heavy metal assassin. In the latter, Angel is dying of poison and Buffy beats the demon out of him. The scene that follows is highly erotic, and if slayer blood is really an aphrodisiac, then Angel may have enjoyed himself, but it wasn't sexual desire that got him going.

Top Bottom