• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Twelve thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Hello

Altoz

Potential
I'm Craig, and I got interested in the series when I was in my thirties. During the intervening twenty years, I met a wonderful guy, married him and helped bring up his daughter from a previous relationship, who is now a doctor working in the United Kingdom. My other fandoms are the Tomorrow People, Survivors (UK), Doctor Who, Torchwood, Being Human (UK), and Walking Dead (until recently).
My favourite Buffyverse characters are Willow, Tara, Dru, Oz and Wes. My major gripe about the series was the way in which LGBT relationships were dealt with. I liked the Willow/Tara ship, but then an all too familiar plot device happens- gay man or lesbian meets other gay man or lesbian, falls in love with them and then one half od the couple gets crushed beneath a convenient falling piano. Not that this is unique to Buffy- the same fault can be laid at the doors of Babylon 5 (Susan Ivanova and Talia Winters. And Michael Cole!) and Torchwood (Captain Jack and Ianto). Still, at least Willow got into a relationship- Andrew only got a man in the comics and we never did meet Larry Blaisdell's boyfriend.

Nix

Evil Nix 😈 Unicorn of Death!
Sineya
Hello and welcome to BB :)
Torchwood <3

Ethan Reigns

Scooby
Sineya
Welcome to the boards! Due to the Tara / Willow pairing, we have a lot of the LGBT crowd here and yes, they complain about the "bury your gays" trope all the time. Other than that, you will find this to be a very civil board for a fan forum with a lot of intelligent discussions.

thrasherpix

Scooby
Oh yes, while Bury Your Gays was all too popular, Joss painted himself as different (and not everyone who got into the show knew he liked to kill off major characters). So when it happened it felt like betrayal as this was going to be different, and yet it wasn't. Just another cheap plot device. Though tied in with so much over the top drama elsewhere it would've been easy to overlook if it wasn't so damn common and fans hadn't allowed themselves to let their guard down thinking this show was going to be different.

As for other problems...it's not all Joss's fault. The networks (and their marketers) tied Joss's hands in many ways. Season 6 was the only one where the writers had free reign to do as they please (as it was on a new network without all the bureaucratic departments and censors set up yet) but of course that's where BYG kicks in, among other things.

Anyway, which Tomorrow People are you referring to? The new one that I think (not sure) is about 10 years old now? Or the one from the 1970s/80s? I found the first one surprisingly entertaining when I came across it (and the cheesiness of it was entertaining in of itself). The new one, not so much, but maybe I just sampled the wrong episode.

Last Watcher

Tweed Icon
Sineya
Hello there! Welcome to the Boards.
I watched Buffy as it first aired in the UK & was a member of the BBC Buffy Boards during the later series.
Make yourself at home. I Think you will enjoy it here on these boards.

Ah the Tomorrow People.....Now that brings back memories! :)

HowiMetdaSlayer

Occasionally, I am callous and strange 🐶
Hola! Fellow LGBT-er here. I also 💙 Being Human. Been some great shows of late that have plenty of LGBT representation. Black Sails, Halt & Catch Fire, Vida, Killing Eve off the top of my head. Hope to see you around. :)

Altoz

Potential
Anyway, which Tomorrow People are you referring to? The new one that I think (not sure) is about 10 years old now? Or the one from the 1970s/80s? I found the first one surprisingly entertaining when I came across it (and the cheesiness of it was entertaining in of itself). The new one, not so much, but maybe I just sampled the wrong episode.
[/QUOTE]
The classic Original Series version. Which I also wrote fanfiction for, but this was before I even knew about Trekker fandom so it was a handwritten zine with a few original stories of mine. And for me, seventies TTP is gold standard.

thrasherpix

Scooby
The classic Original Series version. Which I also wrote fanfiction for, but this was before I even knew about Trekker fandom so it was a handwritten zine with a few original stories of mine. And for me, seventies TTP is gold standard.
Oh, I've written (poetry and articles and one strange story that got me into a lot of trouble at school) for zines in the 90s! These days it seems almost no one knows what a zine was.

As for TP, offhand (years of not seeing it), Blue vs Green is possibly my favorite one with so much going on and touching on different issues worthy of Star Trek: the Original Series (which is to include a metaphorical level to it similar to BTVS). There's probably others I'm not remembering.

Altoz

Potential
Hey, are you folks familiar with Big FInish? Not strictly speaking Buffyocentric, although a certain James Marsters does pop up from time to time, playing Captain Jack's fellow Time Agent and ex main squeeze, Captain John Hart: Audiobooks from Big Finish

Top Bottom