• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Twelve thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Question HELP! I have no idea what to read

cateddy

Townie
Im currently watching the Buffy tv show and know there are comics, but I'm really more of a book person. I've seen that there are quite a few books and comics about angel, buffy etc... but I have only really seen people talk about the comics. Are the books worth reading or not? also if they are which book shall I start with?☺

white avenger

white avenger
Are the books worth reading or not? also if they are which book shall I start with?☺
I've only read a couple of the books based on the shows, one by Christopher Golden and the other by Nancy Holder, both contract writers who adapt several TV shows to print, and they are at best, in my opinion, fair writers. Of course, that is the opinion of a 73 year old man, so my opinions might not matter.

Professor Walsh

Feminist slayerette
Black Thorn
Nah, the books I have read are more or less fan fiction in paperback format. I have no real recommendations, even if I have not necessarily hated what I read. None of them were truly better than what you can find for free if you look up fan fiction recommendations.

Athene

Scooby
Sineya
I really loved the novel 'Go Ask Malice' it's about Faith's life from when she was called as a slayer to just before she arrived in Sunnydale and if you like Faith I think you'd enjoy it :)

That's the only Buffy novel I've read in full.

thrasherpix

Scooby
As a rule of thumb, I don't seek out the novels. I did try the "season 8" novel versions but found them as unappealing as the comics. Some of the earlier ones can be good or entertaining, but at fanfic level (which can be better than the authors at times, just don't bet on it).

Briefly, one novel I'd recommend is this one:

Set near the end of season 2, this not only adds to the growing hatred Spike has of Angelus, but also goes into what the Mayor was doing in season 2 and his connection to Snyder. I thought it added to the end of season 2 really well (and were it to replace Go Fish then I think that episode slot might be remembered more fondly).

And there is one comic that I think is true to the series that links season 5 to 6, and explains how Willow got the resurrection spell and Spike learned of where he could endure the trials (and added in other things like a brief meeting between the Buffybot and Dawn's principal, yet another reason to hurry and bring Buffy back). Note that this can be bought as multiple comics, or it can be bought in one book, as I did (with the same cover portrayed here):

Black Thorn
The slayer series by Kiersten White is pretty good (the second one more so) they’re not everyone’s taste but it’s about the last slayer called before Buffy destroys the seed of wonder, and this slayer is the daughter of Merrick, Buffy’s first watcher.
Most the time when I buy Buffy novels I just buy whatever I find in second hand shops if I’m honest, that way they’re so cheap I don’t waste any money.

thrasherpix

Scooby
I forgot to mention, I liked this one:

I don't recall if Buffy featured in it at all, but Nikki Wood did. Seeing different types of Slayers and Watchers were interesting.

Part of my idea of vampires, which is in a minority, comes from this, however. In one a vampire is digging his way up, and might as well be a blood drinking, homicidal pod person. He sensed one above (not knowing it was the Slayer) and hoped it was one of the family members he remembered as a mortal as that would make it even more fun to kill them. In this case, the vampire had the memories but did not see themselves as the mortal they had been. Which fits in well with the early seasons of Buffy, but not so much the latter.

VisionGirl

Newly Human
Sineya
one eyed chicklet
one eyed chicklet
That’s the one, I’ll give you a warning, there’s a fair amount of Buffy hate in the first one, it calms down but it was annoying at first

Puppet

Actual size.
Black Thorn
It's on my shelf but haven't got around to it yet. There is a sequel too.
Yeah, same, sits up there behind me but haven't gotten to it, yet. It didn't help that I heard some not-so-good reviews that's made me cautious about wasting my time on reading it.

There's a lot of great Buffy books, whilst they're not all canon they're still fun for anyone who is a fan of the show.

These are my personal favourites:

The Lost Slayer
Monster Island
How I Survived My Summer Vacation (I just have fond memories reading this as a kid)
Go Ask Malice
Tales of the Slayer v1-4
Gatekeeper trilogy
Chaos Bleeds
The Book of Fours.

It's a shame books that expand on a fandoms universe get a bad rep because they're not classed as canon. A lot of work goes into these stories to make sure they fit within the established universe and often made by talented writers that could have written for the show if given the chance. When they're referred to as fan-fiction it just discounts the quality and talent. All the books for Buffy do go through the Whedon office to approve so nothing would be created that wasn't accepted by the team at least.

thrasherpix
thrasherpix
You make it sound like they put more work into the books than into the episodes. ;-) But I'll add Monster Island to one of those I enjoyed greatly. :-)

thrasherpix

Scooby
Thought I'd add that one of the few (the only one I can think of offhand, though I have a strong feeling I'm forgetting one or more books or comics) of an Angel/Buffy crossover was this one:

Willow and Tara sing for Lorne. Buffy and Gunn talk about Spike and why Buffy lets Spike continue to exist even with a chip. More into why many demons (including the more tolerant breeds) don't like vampires. While taking place mostly in LA (and Monster Island, having a protection spell similar to the ones in Harry Potter to keep others away), not everyone leaves Sunnydale, so they get very small roles in the book. IIRC, Anya, Giles, Riley, and Dawn get left behind, but I'm not certain. Anya would be perfect, but then she'd care a lot more about her store than in making herself a target of extremists on behalf of a community she cares nothing about personally and it seems to me she stayed behind (but I'm not for sure, it was many years ago when I read it).

I honestly can't remember if Xander went...I feel like he did, but surely I'd remember him and Cordelia talking more if that was the case. I'm just drawing a blank on that at the moment (but then I just woke up).

Top Bottom