• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.
  • Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Twelve thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Help with TPB format chronological reading order?

I want to read the Buffyverse comics in TPB form in as close to chronological order as I can, ignoring whether anything is canon or not.

This is what I’ve pieced together through internet research, (and I believe it includes all the comics) but it would be nice to have some feedback on whether anything is out of order, and on where to fit in the titles at the bottom. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

(I don’t have them all yet, because money, and some may be unattainable, but I’m working my way through. Thinking to prioritize the order I get them by reading order.)

-Buffy: The High School Years, 1-3 & free comic
-Buffy Omnibus, 1-7
-Angel Omnibus
-Angel Omnibus, 1-2
-Spike Omnibus
-Spike: Into The Light
-Buffy Season 8 Omnibus, 1-2
-Buffy: Tales
-Angel Season 6, 1-2
-Angel: The End
-Angel: The John Byrne Collection
-Buffy Season 9, 1-5
-Angel & Faith Season 9, 1-3
-Spike: A Dark Place
-Buffy Season 10, 1-6
-Angel & Faith Season 10, 1-5
-Buffy Season 11, 1-2
-Angel Season 11, 1-3
-Buffy Season 12: The Reckoning (preorder Dec 2018)
-Fray

These ones I have no idea where to fit into the timeline…

-Illyria: Haunted (maybe Angel season 6?)
-Fallen Angel Reborn (early in involvement w/Angel & co)

-Spike: The Devil You Know
-Spike: The Complete Series

-Willow: Wonderland

-Giles (preorder Sep 2018)

-Rogue Galleries

It occurs to me to also ask...
To someone who has read at least a large portion of the comics, do they crossover a LOT, or would it be simpler to just [chronologically] work my way through the individual series one at a time (i.e. Buffy, Angel, Spike, etc.), without switching off?

The Ferg
The Ferg
Will be giving an in depth post for you later tonight :)
Ok, first of all, reading absolutely everything, regardless of canonicity, will make this much easier! Usually I have to go on a whole diatribe about what's canon and what's not. Secondly, I would say that, if you want to read specifically in TPB format, in chronological order, your list is a little off. The omnibuses make things a tad confusing. Here's my revised order for the stuff you listed, plus a few that you missed:

-Buffy: Tales (This for sure takes place before everything else, with the exception of just a couple of stories that take place in various seasons of Buffy, and a Fray story. It should 100% be read first. Btw there are two stories from BS8 that will be pretty spoilery if you hadn't read it beforehand, so maybe save those for later)
-Fray (this one is tricky because it simultaneously takes place before and after BS8 and BS12. I usually read it right after Tales, but I know some people like to read it around S6-7, although obviously it can be read last. Kind of up to you)
-Buffy Omnibus, 1-7 (this is where things get tricky. These take place pre-BS1-to-BS7)
-Buffy: The High School Years, 1-3 & free comic (these take place during BS1. If I were you, I'd insert all of them inbetween 'Macguffins' and 'Queen of Hearts' in the second Omnibus)
-Angel Omnibus (these all take place during AS1, with one AS2 story at the end. There's no reason to read this in tandem with Buffy, but it is missing an awesome crossover [Past Lives] that's included in the sixth Buffy Omnibus. I think I'd probably read this inbetween the fifth and sixth Omnibuses, if you're sticking to chronological order)
-IDW Angel Omnibus, 1 (this one is actually a real bitch to place because it takes place in IDW's non-canon post-AS5 universe that came out before AtF [with the exception of Spotlight, which takes place during various points in the show]. I think, since you're reading everything, I'd read this prior to AtF)
-IDW Angel Omnibus 2 (this collection is so dumb. It's just adaptations of Smile Time, A Hole in the World, and Not Fade Away, as well as the legitimately good 'Barbary Coast,' which takes place before BS1, and Only Human, which stars Gunn and Illyria and takes place immediately after AS6)
-Spike: Into The Light (this is not canon imo, but it supposedly takes place before BS7)
-Spike Omnibus (Excluding the first four issues of Spike vs. Dracula, these all take place during AS5)
-Angel Season 6, 1-2 ([most of] this is canon)
-Angel: The John Byrne Collection (this one is super tricky. 'Blood & Trenches' and 'Angel vs. Frankenstein' take place before BS1, but the Lorne one-shot takes place between AS6 and The End, and SHOULD NOT be read beforehand)
-Angel: The End (this is [probably] not canon, but it has to take place before BS8)
-Spike: The Devil You Know (takes place between the first and second arc of The End)
-Illyria: Haunted (this takes place inbetween the second and third arc of The End)
-Spike: The Complete Series (this takes place during and immediately after the final arc of The End, and should probably be read right before BS8)
-Buffy Season 9, 1-5
-Willow: Wonderland (takes place inbetween A&FS9 Vol. 4 and BS9 #20 [which is the final issue of Vol. 4])
-Spike: A Dark Place (takes place inbetween BS9 Vol. 2 and A&FS9 Vol. 3)
-Angel & Faith Season 9, 1-3 (this has 5 volumes btw)
-Buffy Season 10, 1-6
-Buffy Season 11, 1-2
-Angel Season 11, 1-3
-Giles: Girl Blue (this takes place within S11, but not sure about the specifics. It definitely was released after the other S11 series)
-Buffy Season 12: The Reckoning

-Rogue Galleries

(Not sure about these, sorry, but the Buffy Wikia probably has an answer for you)

It occurs to me to also ask...
To someone who has read at least a large portion of the comics, do they crossover a LOT, or would it be simpler to just [chronologically] work my way through the individual series one at a time (i.e. Buffy, Angel, Spike, etc.), without switching off?
This is a solid question, and I don't really have a good answer for you. I would probably just stick to chronological order. Short answer?: They almost never crossover. Long answer?: This is actually a super tough question that would require me to go in depth into every era of Buffy comics to answer, which I would gladly do, but I think this list gives you a pretty good gist of where to start.

Last edited:
Ok, first of all, reading absolutely everything, regardless of canonicity, will make this much easier! Usually I have to go on a whole diatribe about what's canon and what's not. Secondly, I would say that, if you want to read specifically in TPB format, in chronological order, your list is a little off. The omnibuses make things a tad confusing. Here's my revised order for the stuff you listed, plus a few that you missed:

-Buffy: Tales (This for sure takes place before everything else, with the exception of just a couple of stories that take place in various seasons of Buffy, and a Fray story. It should 100% be read first. Btw there are two stories from BS8 that will be pretty spoilery if you hadn't read it beforehand, so maybe save those for later)
-Fray (this one is tricky because it simultaneously takes place before and after BS8 and BS12. I usually read it right after Tales, but I know some people like to read it around S6-7, although obviously it can be read last. Kind of up to you)
-Buffy Omnibus, 1-7 (this is where things get tricky. These take place pre-BS1-to-BS7)
-Buffy: The High School Years, 1-3 & free comic (these take place during BS1. If I were you, I'd insert all of them inbetween 'Macguffins' and 'Queen of Hearts' in the second Omnibus)
-Angel Omnibus (these all take place during AS1, with one AS2 story at the end. There's no reason to read this in tandem with Buffy, but it is missing an awesome crossover [Past Lives] that's included in the sixth Buffy Omnibus. I think I'd probably read this inbetween the fifth and sixth Omnibuses, if you're sticking to chronological order)
-IDW Angel Omnibus, 1 (this one is actually a real bitch to place because it takes place in IDW's non-canon post-AS5 universe that came out before AtF [with the exception of Spotlight, which takes place during various points in the show]. I think, since you're reading everything, I'd read this prior to AtF)
-IDW Angel Omnibus 2 (this collection is so dumb. It's just adaptations of Smile Time, A Hole in the World, and Not Fade Away, as well as the legitimately good 'Barbary Coast,' which takes place before BS1, and Only Human, which stars Gunn and Illyria and takes place immediately after AS6)
-Spike: Into The Light (this is not canon imo, but it supposedly takes place before BS7)
-Spike Omnibus (Excluding the first four issues of Spike vs. Dracula, these all take place during AS5)
-Angel Season 6, 1-2 ([most of] this is canon)
-Angel: The John Byrne Collection (this one is super tricky. 'Blood & Trenches' and 'Angel vs. Frankenstein' take place before BS1, but the Lorne one-shot takes place between AS6 and The End, and SHOULD NOT be read beforehand)
-Angel: The End (this is [probably] not canon, but it has to take place before BS8)
-Spike: The Devil You Know (takes place between the first and second arc of The End)
-Illyria: Haunted (this takes place inbetween the second and third arc of The End)
-Spike: The Complete Series (this takes place during and immediately after the final arc of The End, and should probably be read right before BS8)
-Buffy Season 9, 1-5
-Willow: Wonderland (takes place inbetween A&FS9 Vol. 4 and BS9 #20 [which is the final issue of Vol. 4])
-Spike: A Dark Place (takes place inbetween BS9 Vol. 2 and A&FS9 Vol. 3)
-Angel & Faith Season 9, 1-3 (this has 5 volumes btw)
-Buffy Season 10, 1-6
-Buffy Season 11, 1-2
-Angel Season 11, 1-3
-Giles: Girl Blue (this takes place within S11, but not sure about the specifics. It definitely was released after the other S11 series)
-Buffy Season 12: The Reckoning

-Rogue Galleries

(Not sure about these, sorry, but the Buffy Wikia probably has an answer for you)

This is a solid question, and I don't really have a good answer for you. I would probably just stick to chronological order. Short answer?: They almost never crossover. Long answer?: This is actually a super tough question that would require me to go in depth into every era of Buffy comics to answer, which I would gladly do, but I think this list gives you a pretty good gist of where to start.
Wow! Thank you so, so much! That’s so incredibly detailed and helpful! I’m going to have to refer back to this a few times as I work on completing my collection!
I think what I may do is try to do a mostly chronological read, but not so far as to switch off volumes of omnibus sets. Probably. I’ll keep going back to this and figure it out as I go. (Technically, I got impatient and read the high school years and started the Buffy omnibuses, but at least now I’ll have in my head when stuff happens, for the few I should have started with.)
Currently I only have the High School Years (minus the free issue), the 7 volume Buffy omnibus set, the 3 Angel omnibuses, and the Spike Omnibus. (I’ve read Fray and other random volumes from the library years ago, but that’s all I own.) I think I’ll try to grab Tales, Fray, and Into the Light next, at the very least. That way I won’t have any gaps. Then I’ll continue from there, as finances allow. (And will recheck that bit about the one set having 5 volumes instead of three; thanks for catching that!)
Again, thank you!!!

Hey, it's no problem! I'm a ridiculously, obsessively huge fan of the comics, so I'm super down to help with stuff like this. I'd love to hear your thoughts on this stuff when you get to it!

Also, from now on I'm going to start saying 'O' instead of 'Omnibus,' because I'm super tired of writing it out over and over.

I think what I may do is try to do a mostly chronological read, but not so far as to switch off volumes of omnibus sets. Probably. I’ll keep going back to this and figure it out as I go. (Technically, I got impatient and read the high school years and started the Buffy omnibuses, but at least now I’ll have in my head when stuff happens, for the few I should have started with.)

Currently I only have the High School Years (minus the free issue), the 7 volume Buffy omnibus set, the 3 Angel omnibuses, and the Spike Omnibus. (I’ve read Fray and other random volumes from the library years ago, but that’s all I own.)
The Buffy Omnibuses (I wish there was a plural version of that) are actually a great place to start, seeing as they were released first. The DH AO would probably fit best between the BO5 and BO6, although you could read it after BO7. After the 'Classic' series ended, the actually good stuff started coming out, starting with Tales and Fray. Seeing as your already on your Omnibus kick, I think you should read all of them before moving onto Tales and Fray. You literally own the vast majority of the non-canon stuff already, so you might as well wait and read the canon stuff after you've finished all of the non-canon (I personally throw some of these stories in my head-canon). However, DO NOT read Only Human until after AS6. Here's what I think you should read next:
Spike: Into The Light (just get this s*** out of the way)
Tales
Fray
Angel: Season 6
Angel: The John Byrne Collection (excluding the Lorne stories, you should probably read this before Tales)
Angel: The End
Spike: The Devil You Know
Illyria: Haunted (btw this trade is going to be VERY expensive for some reason. You might want to track down the individual issues)
Spike: The Complete Series
Season 8
Season 9
Season 10
Season 11

I think I’ll try to grab Tales, Fray, and Into the Light next, at the very least. That way I won’t have any gaps. Then I’ll continue from there, as finances allow. (And will recheck that bit about the one set having 5 volumes instead of three; thanks for catching that!)
Again, thank you!!!
Definitely get Tales and Fray, but Into The Light sucks. I get the feeling you want to read everything eventually, but it's seriously lame.

Hey, it's no problem! I'm a ridiculously, obsessively huge fan of the comics, so I'm super down to help with stuff like this. I'd love to hear your thoughts on this stuff when you get to it!

Also, from now on I'm going to start saying 'O' instead of 'Omnibus,' because I'm super tired of writing it out over and over.

The Buffy Omnibuses (I wish there was a plural version of that) are actually a great place to start, seeing as they were released first. The DH AO would probably fit best between the BO5 and BO6, although you could read it after BO7. After the 'Classic' series ended, the actually good stuff started coming out, starting with Tales and Fray. Seeing as your already on your Omnibus kick, I think you should read all of them before moving onto Tales and Fray. You literally own the vast majority of the non-canon stuff already, so you might as well wait and read the canon stuff after you've finished all of the non-canon (I personally throw some of these stories in my head-canon). However, DO NOT read Only Human until after AS6. Here's what I think you should read next:
Spike: Into The Light (just get this s*** out of the way)
Tales
Fray
Angel: Season 6
Angel: The John Byrne Collection (excluding the Lorne stories, you should probably read this before Tales)
Spike: The Devil You Know
Illyria: Haunted (btw this trade is going to be VERY expensive for some reason. You might want to track down the individual issues)
Spike: The Complete Series
Season 8
Season 9
Season 10
Season 11

Definitely get Tales and Fray, but Into The Light sucks. I get the feeling you want to read everything eventually, but it's seriously lame.
Thank you again!

As you said, I do want to read it all. I’m sure some content is better than other, but I’m OCD enough to want to complete stories I start; it distracts me too much if I skip around or over stuff. The exception is if a part of it is just too difficult to track down, or expensive. That I can tolerate, albeit with disappointment. I know I’ve read that Rogue Galleries is virtually impossible to get, for instance.

(Going with Omnibi! Pretty sure it’s not a word; don’t care! Lol!)

I figured Into The Light only because it fits in the timeline before the Spike Omnibus I already have. I thought I’d fill in the gaps, then continue from there. After those, I’ll probably need to wait until next month to order more.

I’m definitely looking forward to the series continuations; season 8 onwards. And 6 onwards for Angel. I had started the comics years ago, then put it off until I got the rest, and gotten sidetracked. Then the Season 8 comics started coming out, and I decided to wait until they were complete to get them. Then I got sidetracked again. When I started [finally] sharing the show with the girl I babysit, I finished rewatching it and started looking into the comics again, only to realize there were so many more... Did spend several hours researching, but it still gets confusing after a while!

Currently I’m almost done Omnibus 2. I had read this far before, but a long time ago. I’m definitely enjoying it. The only thing I can think of that makes me twitchy is Dru calling Spike ‘Daddy’. Pretty sure she only called Angel that in the show; not positive. And his calling her ‘poodle’ just doesn’t have the same ring as ‘pet’. Clearly these are very minor pet peeves! Lol. As much as I was annoyed by the fact that they sent her there, I kind of like the asylum storyline. I think it’s a good bridge for Buffy coming to terms with things. The art in Angels We Have Seen On High is jarring for an instant, but rather adorable, once you adjust to it. The Maguffins was cute and silly. I think, more than any other character, Oz is the one I read and hear his actual show voice in my head, annunciations and all. Nice getting more of him. And I love Spike & Dru; they’ve always amused me. Doting or fighting, they’re just fun.
Just The Dust Waltz left to finish the second Omnibus. I’m not sure how far I had previously read; no farther than 4 omnibuses at most, and random volumes from the library, all years ago, and mostly out of memory. So I’ll have to see what looks familiar as I get further.
For tonight I need to go try to sleep; it’s 4:55am, and I have to be up in a few hours! 😅

As you said, I do want to read it all. I’m sure some content is better than other, but I’m OCD enough to want to complete stories I start; it distracts me too much if I skip around or over stuff.
Well I'm happy to report that there is very little just absolute garbage stories in the Buffyverse comics. I'd say the worst time for Buffy was right at the beginning of DH's run (would be the majority of BO3 and Dust Waltz). Once 'Bad Blood' started in issue 9 things began to look up, and never really drifted into crap quality again (with a few exceptions). Imo, at least.

(Going with Omnibi! Pretty sure it’s not a word; don’t care! Lol!)
That sounds/looks significantly less silly than OmniBUSES.

I’m definitely looking forward to the series continuations; season 8 onwards. And 6 onwards for Angel.
Do you remember anything about them? I'm really eager to see what you'll think of them, especially after your experience with the previously published comics. After The Fall and the first half of BS8 are peak Buffyverse for me. I love them both so much. They are the stories that got me into comics in the first place.

Currently I’m almost done Omnibus 2. I had read this far before, but a long time ago. I’m definitely enjoying it. The only thing I can think of that makes me twitchy is Dru calling Spike ‘Daddy’. Pretty sure she only called Angel that in the show; not positive. And his calling her ‘poodle’ just doesn’t have the same ring as ‘pet’.
Yea, the Spike & Dru one-shots are strange. I don't think James Marsters is a very good writer, and the art doesn't fit at all.

As much as I was annoyed by the fact that they sent her there, I kind of like the asylum storyline. I think it’s a good bridge for Buffy coming to terms with things.
I love the "Season 0" stuff (as I have so cleverly pretentiously dubbed them). Well, The Origin actually is pretty lame, but Viva Las Buffy, Slayer Interrupted, and A Stake to the Heart are all really great and contain novel concepts like 'character arcs.' I LOVE the inclusion of Angel and Giles's stories, on their way to Sunnydale as well.

The art in Angels We Have Seen On High is jarring for an instant, but rather adorable, once you adjust to it.
I really like Jeff Matsuda. He actually has a long history of working on Buffy covers and not interiors, so it was kind of a big deal to get him on this, even if it was a small story. He also does the interiors for a Tales of the Slayers story.

The Maguffins was cute and silly.
I love Macguffins. Fun fact: it was the first Buffy comic ever produced.

Just The Dust Waltz left to finish the second Omnibus. I’m not sure how far I had previously read; no farther than 4 omnibuses at most, and random volumes from the library, all years ago, and mostly out of memory. So I’ll have to see what looks familiar as I get further.
Some stuff to look forward to, imo:
BO4: Bad Blood and Double Cross
BO5: Haunted, Heart of a Slayer
BO6: Jonathan one-shot, Past Lives (you'll love this one if you love comic crossovers)
BO7: The Death of Buffy, Reunion, Note From The Underground
DHAO: Long Night's Journey, and I guess the Cordelia: Phantom Dennis one-shot was good.
IDWAO1: Illyria: Spotlight, Auld Lang Syne
IDWAO2: Barbary Coast
SpikeO: Asylum and Shadow Puppets!! (a lot of people consider these two canon. They're written by the same guy that ends up writing AtF/AS6)

Well I'm happy to report that there is very little just absolute garbage stories in the Buffyverse comics. I'd say the worst time for Buffy was right at the beginning of DH's run (would be the majority of BO3 and Dust Waltz). Once 'Bad Blood' started in issue 9 things began to look up, and never really drifted into crap quality again (with a few exceptions). Imo, at least.

That sounds/looks significantly less silly than OmniBUSES.

Do you remember anything about them? I'm really eager to see what you'll think of them, especially after your experience with the previously published comics. After The Fall and the first half of BS8 are peak Buffyverse for me. I love them both so much. They are the stories that got me into comics in the first place.

Yea, the Spike & Dru one-shots are strange. I don't think James Marsters is a very good writer, and the art doesn't fit at all.

I love the "Season 0" stuff (as I have so cleverly pretentiously dubbed them). Well, The Origin actually is pretty lame, but Viva Las Buffy, Slayer Interrupted, and A Stake to the Heart are all really great and contain novel concepts like 'character arcs.' I LOVE the inclusion of Angel and Giles's stories, on their way to Sunnydale as well.

I really like Jeff Matsuda. He actually has a long history of working on Buffy covers and not interiors, so it was kind of a big deal to get him on this, even if it was a small story. He also does the interiors for a Tales of the Slayers story.

I love Macguffins. Fun fact: it was the first Buffy comic ever produced.

Some stuff to look forward to, imo:
BO4: Bad Blood and Double Cross
BO5: Haunted, Heart of a Slayer
BO6: Jonathan one-shot, Past Lives (you'll love this one if you love comic crossovers)
BO7: The Death of Buffy, Reunion, Note From The Underground
DHAO: Long Night's Journey, and I guess the Cordelia: Phantom Dennis one-shot was good.
IDWAO1: Illyria: Spotlight, Auld Lang Syne
IDWAO2: Barbary Coast
SpikeO: Asylum and Shadow Puppets!! (a lot of people consider these two canon. They're written by the same guy that ends up writing AtF/AS6)
Honestly, what I did read so long ago was only the first few omnibuses and random stuff at the library, and I just don’t remember more than snippets. (I know I read Fray, but I remember almost nothing. Just that it was in the future, and she had the slayer weapon.) Sometimes stuff is seeming familiar as I go. I did glance at Season 8; mostly just skimmed an issue, then decided to wait until it was all out. So that I don’t REALLY know at all, beyond descriptions I’ve read. I was out all day yesterday, so I haven’t read more yet.

I hadn’t even realized Marsters did the Spike/Dru ones. I don’t always pay attention to author/artist names, honestly. I think I just thought ‘whedon stuff’ and never looked. I still enjoy getting more content with them. I just felt those were little things that were weird. It’s also a little bit funny because sometimes it seems like Dru is playing at being mad. Like she’ll say direct things now and then when she’s pissed. Like ‘you burned me with your cigarette’, for instance.

I’m undecided on how I feel about Origin. On the one hand, it’s spoofy, dumb high school stuff, which can be amusing. On the other, Buffy feels so out of character that it’s a bit weird. Like she was a bit too stupid, not just shallow. I get that she changed after becoming the slayer and growing, but it didn’t feel quite right.
The others I have definitely enjoyed!

I liked the cute artwork; it only stood out because it was so suddenly different from all the rest. I used to be a lot pickier about artwork, but I own 2 walls of manga, have read a lot more, and have at least a big shelf of comics, plus the crazy amounts of stuff I’ve read from the library. So I gradually expanded my range of enjoyed styles. Some stuff that used to annoy me I grew to like.
Dawn hugging Angel [as much as I hate early Dawn] was kind of hilariously adorable, and the artwork sold it.

MacGuffins was adorable; loved the ending! And cool fact!

Aaah, I can’t wait for all of it! I may pause reading once I get through the first chunk; starting with season 8 onwards, I kind of want to have it all to read at once, so I don’t wind up pausing at cliffhangers. But I’m going to work on getting stuff asap. Just might take a few months. I wish more of the seasons were in omnibus form; that’d make it a little cheaper.

Honestly, what I did read so long ago was only the first few omnibuses and random stuff at the library, and I just don’t remember more than snippets. (I know I read Fray, but I remember almost nothing. Just that it was in the future, and she had the slayer weapon.) Sometimes stuff is seeming familiar as I go. I did glance at Season 8; mostly just skimmed an issue, then decided to wait until it was all out. So that I don’t REALLY know at all, beyond descriptions I’ve read. I was out all day yesterday, so I haven’t read more yet.
Wow, this is going to be quite the experience for you! I would pay to be able to be able to read BS8 again without knowing what's going to happen.

I hadn’t even realized Marsters did the Spike/Dru ones. I don’t always pay attention to author/artist names, honestly. I think I just thought ‘whedon stuff’ and never looked. I still enjoy getting more content with them. I just felt those were little things that were weird. It’s also a little bit funny because sometimes it seems like Dru is playing at being mad. Like she’ll say direct things now and then when she’s pissed. Like ‘you burned me with your cigarette’, for instance.
Hmm.. I guess he just wrote 'Paint the Town Red.' Christopher Golden did the rest, but I can't really see either of the other one-shots really blew me away.

I’m undecided on how I feel about Origin. On the one hand, it’s spoofy, dumb high school stuff, which can be amusing. On the other, Buffy feels so out of character that it’s a bit weird. Like she was a bit too stupid, not just shallow. I get that she changed after becoming the slayer and growing, but it didn’t feel quite right.
The others I have definitely enjoyed!
I definitely don't love The Origin. The only reason I read it is because it's basically immutably canon. The events from the movie for sure happened, but I just refuse to subject myself to that crap again. So instead, I just read this mildly entertaining crap! (What's with the green vampires?)

Aaah, I can’t wait for all of it! I may pause reading once I get through the first chunk; starting with season 8 onwards, I kind of want to have it all to read at once, so I don’t wind up pausing at cliffhangers. But I’m going to work on getting stuff asap. Just might take a few months. I wish more of the seasons were in omnibus form; that’d make it a little cheaper.
I understand the feeling. Now that it's been a decade since BS8, it would be silly to put yourself in the position to have to start and stop like it was originally released.
Do you plan on getting the deluxe library editions for S9 or just the trades? Pros and cons: the library editions are seriously a special experience, whereas the trades are like $5.

Wow, this is going to be quite the experience for you! I would pay to be able to be able to read BS8 again without knowing what's going to happen.

Hmm.. I guess he just wrote 'Paint the Town Red.' Christopher Golden did the rest, but I can't really see either of the other one-shots really blew me away.

I definitely don't love The Origin. The only reason I read it is because it's basically immutably canon. The events from the movie for sure happened, but I just refuse to subject myself to that crap again. So instead, I just read this mildly entertaining crap! (What's with the green vampires?)

I understand the feeling. Now that it's been a decade since BS8, it would be silly to put yourself in the position to have to start and stop like it was originally released.
Do you plan on getting the deluxe library editions for S9 or just the trades? Pros and cons: the library editions are seriously a special experience, whereas the trades are like $5.
Definitely excited about it!

Admittedly, I barely remember the movie now. I first watched Buffy when I was 15 (I was wussy with scary stuff when little, and nobody had explained to me that it was a funny show, so I didn’t try it until when Riley was leaving.), and I’m 33 now. I’ve rewatched the series (and am 1.5 seasons into rewatching Angel), but the movie I’ve only seen once or twice, around when I first watched the show. I remember that it’s junk. But I might watch one more time just to remember it, at some point. Maybe the girl I babysit would want to see it. (My starting to rewatch was to check content before sharing it with her, and we need to break after season 4 + Dracula + musical, due to emotional and sexual content. Hopefully not for too long. She’s loving it. Still checking Angel, but so far so good. At least the movie is extra content when we run out. And the comics let me tell her more stuff while she’s waiting to watch; she likes hearing about it.

I think I’m sticking with regular editions. My understanding was that the extras aren’t more story, just artwork or interviews. Those are cool, but I don’t have tons of money. Probably shouldn’t be getting them at all; lol!

So far a third of the way into Omnibus 3. Ordered Fray, Tales, Into The Light. So I own/am waiting for the books up through the Spike Omnibus. Started checking next chunk; up through Spike Complete Series. Illyria Haunted is gonna be tricky to impossible to get, unless a store can special order it; will check in the morning. One site seems to have the first Angel season 6 volume available. The rest is readily available. Then I’d start getting BS8 onwards.

Most of the art styles I’ve been fine with. I know they won’t always look exactly like their show counterparts. But the green vampire monsters... Whyyyy?! And I noticed they are seemingly incapable of giving Willow red hair... It’s kind of super irritating. (Looks like they do get a bit better further in.) One of the stories had Willow looking like Cordy and Cordy looking like Buffy. Like they couldn’t remember who had what hair color, or how they dressed. Was really confusing. Oz was also weird during Halloween [and drawn rather bulky]. Even when he’s been mad in the show, he’s just smashed stuff, not threatened to rip people apart. They also seem to forget in a given episode, whether Cordy and Xander hate each other or are dating.
Those irks aside, I love the banter! So much. I didn’t mind Dust Waltz too much. It was kind of cheesy and funny. Not overly excited by it, and seemed like it should have been more of a story for such fabled characters, but oh well. The cooking story was amusing.
I keep switching between reading and other stuff. Torn between wanting to devour it, and making it last til I have more. Plus my schedule is kind of all over the place.

Admittedly, I barely remember the movie now. I first watched Buffy when I was 15 (I was wussy with scary stuff when little, and nobody had explained to me that it was a funny show, so I didn’t try it until when Riley was leaving.), and I’m 33 now. I’ve rewatched the series (and am 1.5 seasons into rewatching Angel), but the movie I’ve only seen once or twice, around when I first watched the show. I remember that it’s junk. But I might watch one more time just to remember it, at some point. Maybe the girl I babysit would want to see it. (My starting to rewatch was to check content before sharing it with her, and we need to break after season 4 + Dracula + musical, due to emotional and sexual content. Hopefully not for too long. She’s loving it. Still checking Angel, but so far so good. At least the movie is extra content when we run out. And the comics let me tell her more stuff while she’s waiting to watch; she likes hearing about it.
That's super fun! How old is she? I started watching S6 when I was 13-14, and it honestly didn't effect me too much. Obviously, it's your call though. I'd say she should probably be in high school, bare minimum, before starting S6, but I think S5 would probably be fine. What is it that you're worried about her seeing in S5?
Also, you should definitely watch all of Angel again before reading AS6. It takes place immediately after Not Fade Away, so you might want a refresher.

I think I’m sticking with regular editions. My understanding was that the extras aren’t more story, just artwork or interviews. Those are cool, but I don’t have tons of money. Probably shouldn’t be getting them at all; lol!
Meh, the extras are lame. It's the size that really matters... And now I wish I could think of a better way to word that.
I didn't think the bigger pages would matter, but they really do create an entirely different experience. Almost like the difference between reading a digest size comic (like manga) and a traditionally-sized American comic. It just feels more epic. Regardless, it's still a good story (for the most part), so at the end of the day, it doesn't really matter which way you decide to go.

So far a third of the way into Omnibus 3. Ordered Fray, Tales, Into The Light. So I own/am waiting for the books up through the Spike Omnibus. Started checking next chunk; up through Spike Complete Series. Illyria Haunted is gonna be tricky to impossible to get, unless a store can special order it; will check in the morning. One site seems to have the first Angel season 6 volume available. The rest is readily available. Then I’d start getting BS8 onwards.
Ok, I just searched Amazon, and I am absolutely flabbergasted (never used that word before) at how expensive AS6 Vol. 1 is. If you have trouble finding it, you can always just get the first 3 trades (or HC's; both about the same price) of After The Fall and Spike: After The Fall instead.
Illyria will be nearly impossible to find as a trade, for a reasonable price. I'd recommend going to a local shop and finding the singular issues. I see them floating around bargain bins all the time. It's really good, so don't sleep on it.

Most of the art styles I’ve been fine with. I know they won’t always look exactly like their show counterparts. But the green vampire monsters... Whyyyy?! And I noticed they are seemingly incapable of giving Willow red hair... It’s kind of super irritating. (Looks like they do get a bit better further in.) One of the stories had Willow looking like Cordy and Cordy looking like Buffy. Like they couldn’t remember who had what hair color, or how they dressed. Was really confusing. Oz was also weird during Halloween [and drawn rather bulky]. Even when he’s been mad in the show, he’s just smashed stuff, not threatened to rip people apart. They also seem to forget in a given episode, whether Cordy and Xander hate each other or are dating.
Those irks aside, I love the banter! So much. I didn’t mind Dust Waltz too much. It was kind of cheesy and funny. Not overly excited by it, and seemed like it should have been more of a story for such fabled characters, but oh well. The cooking story was amusing.
I keep switching between reading and other stuff. Torn between wanting to devour it, and making it last til I have more. Plus my schedule is kind of all over the place.
I couldn't stand the 90's look from the earliest comics (Omnibus 3). I mean, it wasn't awful, but seeing as I had read S8 and other Classic stories (mostly by Cliff Richards), it just felt off. And yea, the art inconsistencies are annoying.
I don't think it's a bad idea to take a little time inbetween arcs, or else it will just feel like one big story and you'll forget a lot of it. Speaking from experience.

Last edited:
In case you're wondering:

Angel: Season 6 Vol. 1 (yes, this is the order they put them in, which isn't necessarily bad, but it ruins one major surprise/reveal)
Angel: After The Fall Vol. 2- First Night
Spike: After The Fall
Angel: After The Fall Vol. 1
Angel: After The Fall Vol. 3

Angel: Season 6 Vol. 2
Angel: After The Fall Vol. 4
Angel: Aftermath (Vol. 5. This one blows btw)
Angel: Last Angel In Hell (Vol. 6. Includes 4 stories: Epilogue, Drusilla, Boys and Their Toys, and Last Angel in Hell)

Angel: Immortality for Dummies (Vol. 7)
Angel: Crown Prince Syndrome (Vol. 8)
Angel: The Wolf, The Ram, and The Hart (Vol. 9)

That's super fun! How old is she? I started watching S6 when I was 13-14, and it honestly didn't effect me too much. Obviously, it's your call though. I'd say she should probably be in high school, bare minimum, before starting S6, but I think S5 would probably be fine. What is it that you're worried about her seeing in S5?
Also, you should definitely watch all of Angel again before reading AS6. It takes place immediately after Not Fade Away, so you might want a refresher.
She's 13; 7th grade, first year of junior high. As I said, I started watching at 15, but most of my friends started around 10-13, I think. It's just a little bit more complicated with her {Leslie}. The 5th season starts focusing a LOT on Joyce's illness and death. The Body is BRUTAL, but even before and after, it's an emotional roller coaster. And EVERY episode flashes back to it. You can't get away from it. (I had been rewatching several years back and paused to avoid seeing that episode again... Was sobbing all over again this time around. If that episode was pitched today, it would be plastered with trigger warnings. I have PTSD and my father died a couple years ago, and my mother's name is Joyce... so it probably makes me twitchier than it should, lol. But still.) Further, after that season, it starts focusing on Buffy/Spike sex life, which gets a lot more rough and passionate than previous 'sex scenes' they show. And there are ongoing deaths.

I do think it's something to judge on an individual basis. Every parent knows their own kid. I'm not a parent, but I've been babysitting her since she was less than a year old (she just visits on Saturdays to hang out now), and her mom and I have always openly discussed what we're comfortable watching with her. We're both good about explaining things to her when they come up, instead of trying to censor everything or just giving the standard "it's bad, don't say/do/watch it" comments. (I have introduced quite a few terms via Buffy... ^_^; The different sexualities, dominatrix, orgy, safe word, etc...) But there are still limits, and when I'm not totally positive something is ok, I check with her mom. We kind of agreed together to wait on that stuff, and Leslie knows the reasoning and is totally fine with it. The level of violence is fine. She's done Lord of the Rings, Harry Potter, etc. So this is nothing. (I was much more squeamish at her age!) But the death and escalation of sexual content is a bit more iffy. Her father died several years ago, after a sudden illness and a good while in the hospital. and she tends to have stretches where she's more sensitive to really sad stuff. So she wants advance warning when characters die, and sometimes just wants to avoid watching stuff that gets too sad, entirely. She's been on one of those kicks lately. She was definitely tearing up when Angel left Buffy. So Joyce's illness and death are NOT something we feel would be a good idea to watch right now. (Frankly, I don't want to sob in front of her, either!) And the rough/passionate side of sex is something her mom thinks she wants to hold off on. We COULD just skip episodes involving death or heavy sex stuff, but at this point in the series, it would become so swiss-cheesed that it would take all the fun out of watching. And we didn't want serious cliffhangers. So we felt the easiest thing to do would be the way we discussed it.

What we ended up with was this: We watch Buffy Seasons 1-4. We're going to skip the episode with the sexually haunted frat house. (It just gets too dark and sexual in specific ways. Felt like too much. I told her we could watch the funny scene with Xander and Anya in the ice cream truck at the beginning, though.) And I'm going to mute Faith's little flirtatious speech to Spike when she's in Buffy's body. (She just got a BIT too explicit. 'pop you like a cherry' etc.) I've told her the basics of what happens in the bits we're skipping, and she's fine with it. Then we're going to do Season 5, episode 1; Dracula. (It's a stand alone episode that doesn't involve the main plot, so it won't be a cliffhanger, and it's too funny to wait, since there's nothing bad in it.) And finally, Once More With Feeling. (I got her hooked on the show by singing a few lines from I Have A Theory. Then showing her clips. So she's been super excited for it. I can easily enough explain what's happened up until that point, so she knows what's going on.) After that, she seems interested in trying Angel. I'm still reviewing it, but the first season and a half seem fine so far. My hope is that we won't have to wait more than a couple years before finishing the rest, but it's been really fun finally getting to share it with her at all. We make appreciative comments over Angel and Spike together, and laugh at other stuff, and go 'awww' at cute moments, and so on. And last weekend she proudly shared that now when she swears in her head, it's usually "bloody hell!" (Cuz Spike) LOL I'm so proud... Spreading the joy!

I will DEFINITELY not be reading the continuation stuff until I finish rewatching! That would totally confuse me! I got a bit sidetracked this week, but need to get back to my Angel-watching, lol. Realizing I'll have to pause reading will be extra motivation!

Meh, the extras are lame. It's the size that really matters... And now I wish I could think of a better way to word that.
I didn't think the bigger pages would matter, but they really do create an entirely different experience. Almost like the difference between reading a digest size comic (like manga) and a traditionally-sized American comic. It just feels more epic. Regardless, it's still a good story (for the most part), so at the end of the day, it doesn't really matter which way you decide to go.
Yeah, based on that, I think I'll still stick with regular. It would be NICE, but I just can't justify the extra cost. Maybe someday I'd replace them. But for now it'll be nice to at least have and read them.

Ok, I just searched Amazon, and I am absolutely flabbergasted (never used that word before) at how expensive AS6 Vol. 1 is. If you have trouble finding it, you can always just get the first 3 trades (or HC's; both about the same price) of After The Fall and Spike: After The Fall instead.
Illyria will be nearly impossible to find as a trade, for a reasonable price. I'd recommend going to a local shop and finding the singular issues. I see them floating around bargain bins all the time. It's really good, so don't sleep on it.
Yeah, it's weird that just that one volume is so pricy. But I found it at regular price on the IDW publishing site, and one site listed a few stores near me that may be able to special order Illyria Haunted. Seems like a long shot, but I'll call one when they're open. If I can't get that one, I'll keep an eye open for it, but probably not stop reading because of it. Worst case, I will get the issues someday; I just avoid those because of how flimsy they are.

I couldn't stand the 90's look from the earliest comics (Omnibus 3). I mean, it wasn't awful, but seeing as I had read S8 and other Classic stories (mostly by Cliff Richards), it just felt off. And yea, the art inconsistencies are annoying.
I don't think it's a bad idea to take a little time inbetween arcs, or else it will just feel like one big story and you'll forget a lot of it. Speaking from experience.
It just seemed like they couldn't be bothered to remember who they were drawing sometimes, or what part of the Buffyverse timeline they were writing for. I suspect that going back to it after later comics would make it worse, yeah. Willow SORT OF starts having hair color in White Christmas. I'm at New Kid On The Block now. Though I should really go to bed soon, since it's 3:35am and I need to be up at a reasonable hour. Lol.

I've pretty much been doing one or two stories at a time. I tend to multitask a lot. Or switch off frequently. So I'll read, check messages, look at apps, watch a few minutes of something, etc, etc, etc. Plus pauses for bathroom, getting food, snuggling cat/dog... So sometimes I'll devour stuff, and sometimes take forever. I don't want to bring these ones out of the house (I don't have tons of reading time when out, and since comics go quick, I'd want to bring multiple, and they're heavy, and they can fall apart sometimes... Too many reasons to just bring a novel, and read comics at home. But they're by my chair, and I keep jumping back in.

Your listings have been super helpful; I keep going back to check what I'm doing!