• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Twelve thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Hero or Villain

PaulParmar1

Spuffy Forever
Sineya
At the end of the day with Angel S5's Not Fade Away.

Would you consider Harmony Kendall a hero or a villain or an anti hero which is a hero who sometimes does villainous thing or an anti villain which is a villain who sometimes does heroic things ?
This is how I see it
Harmony on Buffy was a villain which was plain and simple for sure!
During Angel S2 I thought she turned into more of an anti villain because she did have some heroic moments in Disharmony.
In Angel S5 I feel she turned into an anti hero. She did want to do the right things that season but her betraying Angel while some may find villainous I thought of as well deserved because Angel treated her so bad during Angel S5.

So I'm going with anti hero by the end of her run.

MarlieTheSlayer

Bangel shipper
Black Thorn
A villain, her last scene says it all + she has no soul. A hero to me only commits a truly heroic act if he doesn't do this out of selfish needs. Without a soul, you're generally not capable of that in my opinion.

thrasherpix

Scooby
Villain, at least once she's a vampire (she's too mundane and going with the flow before that for me to count her as anything). Angel took that into account. Even when she helped the good guys she has did so for evil reasons (with the notable exception of not eating Cordelia when she had the chance, that was surprising for a vampire, and that she appeared to feel guilt over it--but it was temporary).

Puppet

Actual size.
Black Thorn
None of the four choices work for me, to be honest. She's certainly not a hero, but she's definitely not a full on villain, she can't be an anti anything just based on her behavior. I truly feel like, and I love her, she is too stupid to be anything specific. Harmony is the 'follower', always has been, always will be. She appeared villainous on Buffy (after being turned) because she was 'following' Spike and later Spike's example. Then she 'followed' AI and tried to be good, but then changed to that vampire cult and 'followed' them, and so on. When we meet her again in S5, she's got herself a job where she doesn't really have to spend all that energy being good or evil, she can just be.

Taake

Keeper of the Continuum Transfunctioner
Watcher
Black Thorn
Ditzy Villain
She gets a job as a receptionist (because Wes for some ungodly reason thought this was a good idea?) and doesn't kill people for a couple of months... this counts as heroism? No.
Stake to the heart. Goodbye.

Fool for Buffy

I'm just being a big nerd again
Sineya
Honestly she's just an idiot. Even she probably had no idea whose side she was on. That's why it's so great.

Fool for Buffy

I'm just being a big nerd again
Sineya
Idiot sounds harsh tbh.
Harmony I think plays up her dumb blonde
I'd consider dumb blonde harsher than idiot. Either way, the point is she has no idea what she wants so how can I decide for her?

DeadlyDuo

Scooby
I do think she is smarter then we think!
I agree. She's managed to survive for one thing. Also Cordy basically said that she herself had to pretend to be dumber than she actually was. In Lover's Walk, Xander makes a joke that it may hurt his standing if people knew he was dating a "brain" and Cordy replied "Please, I have some experience in covering these things up". The only time Harmony is shown to be a ditz is when it comes to Spike.

PaulParmar1

Spuffy Forever
Sineya
I agree. She's managed to survive for one thing. Also Cordy basically said that she herself had to pretend to be dumber than she actually was. In Lover's Walk, Xander makes a joke that it may hurt his standing if people knew he was dating a "brain" and Cordy replied "Please, I have some experience in covering these things up". The only time Harmony is shown to be a ditz is when it comes to Spike.
I 100% agree. We've gotta give credit to Harmony where it's due.
She's managed to survive as a vampire without a soul in the Buffyverse since S4 of BTVS!
That is gosh darn impressive & she even turned on Angel & got a recommendation later instead of a stake!

Mrs Gordo

Bangel extremist...
Black Thorn
Villain. But not a threat.

Side note: Pretty sure Harmony survives all of these seasons not because she is smarter than we all think but because she has some state of art plot armor.

white avenger

white avenger
How about a buffoon? That pretty much fits my image of Harmony. She's not necessarily good or evil, since almost none of her actions amount to much more than self serving in nature. Neither harmless nor helpful ever seem to enter into any of her actions.

zoe

Townie
Villain, she is on the side that suits her, not even as a human i see her trying to change or trying to do something good for the others, she practically remains the same as vampire

AlphaFoxtrot

Scooby
Her reform vampirism movement was a lie that deluded the nations, so arguably, she was a much better instrument of the demonic will than any other vampire. But that's the comics, nobody cares. Aside from being a victim, Harmony was another freshly raised vampire who would be little better than a slave at this point in her un-life, was sired by a lackey, a poor fit for the darkness who did whatever minor evils her flickering malice allowed.

Scooby Corps

Fly! Be free, little bird, you defy category!
She's none of that. Harmony is a psychopathic opportunist who pursues her own interests. The bad guys, the good guys... whoever. They're merely expedient to get her security and a high social status.

MarieVampSlayer

Bloody hell, Sodding, blimey, shagging, knickers..
Sineya
She is a villain at heart. She pretty much does as she like and the only good deeds she does is because they suit her motive. She is not the purest evil for sure but she is a villain with a love for unicorn.

kaylee

Townie
Harmony is the 'follower', always has been, always will be.
I completely agree with this. From the first season of Buffy until the last season of Angel, Harmony is, almost exclusively, a follower. I think she ultimately wants acceptance. She's definitely one of the people who changes the least as a vampire; she doesn't seem truly evil at any point. I think at the end of the day, Harmony is just lonely. I'm specifically referring to her appearances on Angel. In season 5, you see her struggling to get Angel's approval, and nobody really listens to or cares about her. I think it explains why she betrayed him for her new boyfriend, as shown in the series finale. The fact that Harmony is always searching for someone to latch onto has remained consistent throughout her character arc. At times, it seemed like she would take the side of whoever was giving her the most attention and making her feel the most important.

Top Bottom