• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Twelve thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

He's back!

FirstEvil78

From beneath you, it devours... Spuffy lover
@WillowFromBuffy Then, I stand corrected. I still have nothing else to add. This is matter for the moods regarding freedom of speech in the board and the rules of interaction. They know better than me how to treat these certain instances.

S
Stephan
Man, some people get so invested into this to the point of being disrespectful over characters that aren't real. I LOVE the show but everything with perspective makes the interaction more fun, imo.

brinkster130

Riley's BFF
Staff member
Sineya
Guys, everyone can express their opinions. Members shouldn't be telling others when they can post, if you see a post that you feel breaks the rules then please is the report button.

Keep in mind that not every differing opinion is a personal attack on another member, character, writer...whomever.

Now, lets get back on topic. If you guys wish to discuss this further you can start another thread.

HoppyHippy
HoppyHippy
WFB often personally attacks people who use words in a different way to the elitist structure, its not against the rules, but if I said what he does in my native vocab, it would be.

WillowFromBuffy

Hear Me Roar!
I wonder if we'll see Darla in Angel's comic as his current lover?
I think it's a fair guess that she'll appear in some form. She's on the main cover of Issue 4 of Buffy, so we're very likely to have the entire Whirlwind together in present time.

DeadlyDuo

Scooby
I think it's a fair guess that she'll appear in some form. She's on the main cover of Issue 4 of Buffy, so we're very likely to have the entire Whirlwind together in present time.
Whilst I would've loved for that to happen in show, I don't know how the dynamic will work since we have Dino. In show, the rest of the Whirlwind (at least Spike and Darla) looked after Dru and took care of her. Dino has none of what makes show Dru great. By cutting out the Angel/Dru backstory, the writers have wasted the opportunity of exploring that dynamic more (which was sadly never given the proper screen time in-show).

WillowFromBuffy

Hear Me Roar!
Whilst I would've loved for that to happen in show, I don't know how the dynamic will work since we have Dino. In show, the rest of the Whirlwind (at least Spike and Darla) looked after Dru and took care of her. Dino has none of what makes show Dru great. By cutting out the Angel/Dru backstory, the writers have wasted the opportunity of exploring that dynamic more (which was sadly never given the proper screen time in-show).
We don't really know much at all about Drusilla yet. Putting her with Angel and Darla would be a good opportunity to explore her identity as a vampire.

When you say that they've cut out the Angel/Dru backstory, is that because Dru is the new Master? We're not certain that means that she's the oldest, are we?

DeadlyDuo

Scooby
We don't really know much at all about Drusilla yet. Putting her with Angel and Darla would be a good opportunity to explore her identity as a vampire.

When you say that they've cut out the Angel/Dru backstory, is that because Dru is the new Master? We're not certain that means that she's the oldest, are we?
Dino isn't insane which means that Angelus didn't psychologically torture her to insanity. Dru without insanity isn't really Dru and she loses that tragic aspect to her character. Essentially what the comics have done is gender swap the Master and then slap Dru's name on top with a cockeyed seasoning of Sprusilla.

Buffy Summers

Yataro
Staff member
Sineya
@FirstEvil78 I’ll thank you not to quote me out of context. If you were an actual member of this board rather than someone who registered purely to start a fight, you might have read our rules where it explicitly says that membership here is a privilege and not a right.

WillowFromBuffy

Hear Me Roar!
Dino isn't insane which means that Angelus didn't psychologically torture her to insanity. Dru without insanity isn't really Dru and she loses that tragic aspect to her character. Essentially what the comics have done is gender swap the Master and then slap Dru's name on top with a cockeyed seasoning of Sprusilla.
That's a reasonable assumption, but we know very little as of yet. Drusilla may be both traumatised and insane, but it may manifest in a way we haven't clocked yet.

Jordie says new!Drusilla seeks revenge. I can only imagine she means on Angel.

EarthLogic

Scooby
Black Thorn
I haven't read any of these new comics, just seen the previews, but just wanted to give my two cents on the BOOM! series concept in general.

I have to say while I have no problems with reboots and re-imaginings in principle - after all this is how the greatest stories have been passed down to us through generations - the way they appear to have shaken up these characters leaves me cold. It's sort of like a Theseus' ship situation- if you remove and replace all these characters' backstories, personalities and idiosyncrasies with different ones are they still the same characters? Drusilla is a classic example: there seems nothing there that marks her out as Drusilla aside from her name. I don't know if it's just because BtVS is something I'm so personally invested in so I can't form that detachment very easily...😕

That said, I'm a little curious to see what they do with Angel, seeing that they seem to be keeping the core premise of the character as a souled vampire searching for atonement.

WillowFromBuffy
WillowFromBuffy
You should give them a try. They've done some great stuff with the BtVS characters already, and Drusilla's plan will be revealed in the next issue, so I'll make my mind up about her then.

WillowFromBuffy

Hear Me Roar!

New cover in progress. I've read that the Griffon is from the Book of Kelts, but are there any plausible theories as to why Angel has it tattooed on his back?

EarthLogic

Scooby
Black Thorn

New cover in progress. I've read that the Griffon is from the Book of Kelts, but are there any plausible theories as to why Angel has it tattooed on his back?
Given that it's a letter A tattooed underneath I assume he had it done while soulless, in which case it's most likely another one of Angelus' 'f-ck you's towards religion, God and his past.

WillowFromBuffy

Hear Me Roar!
Given that it's a letter A tattooed underneath I assume he had it done while soulless, in which case it's most likely another one of Angelus' 'f-ck you's towards religion, God and his past.
He's like a vampire hipster. "I'm just wearing it ironically."

I've read that it could be that Angelus identifies the griffin with power, as it is a hybrid between the noblest land and air predators.

DeadlyDuo

Scooby
He's got it on his jacket, maybe he just liked the design when he bought it?

EarthLogic

Scooby
Black Thorn
He's like a vampire hipster. "I'm just wearing it ironically."
Pretty much, yeah. What better way to insult God than to inscribe the symbol of one of his messengers into the flesh of the damned! The gryphon is the symbol of St Mark the evangelist and among other meanings in art, including power and nobility, it's also sometimes used to represent Christ's resurrection (because lions we're believed to sleep with open eyes). So it works as a kind of dark inversion of that - Angelus alluding to his own 'resurrection' not as a saviour but as a destroyer of humanity.

No idea if the art department were even thinking beyond 'it's old and pretty and Irish', but it works out quite nicely!

WillowFromBuffy
WillowFromBuffy
I guess Matthew would have been too on the nose :p

Spanky

Zexy Mercenary
Black Thorn
So it works as a kind of dark inversion of that - Angelus alluding to his own 'resurrection' not as a saviour but as a destroyer of humanity.
Could it not work in the reverse? That Angel did it as a symbol of his resurrection from Angelus? Afterall, didn't someone theorize that the Book of Kells was too ornate to be done by man and it had to be the good works of an Angel?

DeadlyDuo

Scooby
Are we sure he got it as a vampire? Wouldn't vampire super healing prevent him from getting a tattoo? Just sayin' ;)
It could work. I don't have tattoos so I don't know the method behind them but aren't they kind of carved into your skin with a needle then the ink is inserted then it heals but the ink remains? If so, then the ink would still be there but it would just heal faster.

Top Bottom