• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Twelve thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Hot Topic: Are the the Potentates wrong?

Buffy Summers

Yataro
Staff member
Sineya
In ATF #22, the Potentates are killing people who will commit crimes in the future. Is it wrong to kill people before they commit crimes in order to prevent them from killing innocents?

Spanky
Spanky
I read Potentates as Potentials and thought, man, someone's having a bad spelling day.
Anyanka Bunny Slayer
Anyanka Bunny Slayer
I read it as Potatoes...

Taake

Keeper of the Continuum Transfunctioner
Staff member
Black Thorn
Like Minority Report?
It's nothing like Minority Report. They clearly changed the name and everything :p

Not sure how it plays out in ATF, but in general - good intention but a terrible idea! Unless you believe in a deterministic universe that abolishes the possibility that the agent in question could change their mind after the report/prophecy of the crime they will committ has been made. But even then it seems like murky moral territory, because how can you be sure of your deterministic outlook?

Spanky

Scooby
Black Thorn
Not sure how it plays out in ATF, but in general - good intention but a terrible idea! Unless you believe in a deterministic universe that abolishes the possibility that the agent in question could change their mind after the report/prophecy of the crime they will committ has been made. But even then it seems like murky moral territory, because how can you be sure of your deterministic outlook?
Or if, upon reports of a future crime you begin investigating, watching, eavesdropping on the person accused of said crime waiting for it to happen you become the catalyst for the crime to happen. By trying to prevent it, you cause it.

thetopher

Member of the Church Of Faith
Sineya
The Buffyverse doesn't seem to believe in destiny 100%. If destiny is a thing- like a prophecy- its usually just manipulations by a higher power that can be thwarted.

So I'd say that, by Buffyverse standards, what they're doing is wrong; destiny doesn't care about the little people so their lives are not written, so they are not predetermined to do anything, whether good or bad.
Does that make sense? I think maybe it does.
But then I just thought that Lorne reads people's destiny's right? Like when he's in Vegas and people's futures are getting stolen, like the chef and the business woman...so destiny does exist for everybody...maybe. So they should be prevented from completing their destiny if its bad, unless its a higher power manipulating people to knock other people off, like for kicks or something.

I just realized that I can't actually remember that particular ATF plot so I'll stop because my brain is tired.

Blaze

Let it Burn
Black Thorn
The irony is that someone like that might get killed before killing other killers.

white avenger

white avenger
In ATF #22, the Potentates are killing people who will commit crimes in the future. Is it wrong to kill people before they commit crimes in order to prevent them from killing innocents?
The general theme throughout fiction, when this subject is used is that, by stopping something bad before it happens, you set up a butterfly effect that ultimately makes things even worse than they originally were (Killing Adolf Hitler before he rises to power results in someone just as bad or worse taking his place) Still, those various fictional characters just keep on trying...

Just as an intellectual exercise, I would have to say that killing someone so that they can't commit crimes in the future, no matter how good an idea it might seem at the time, is wrong. On the other hand, if I were given the opportunity to kill someone before they could harm someone who I lived sometime in the future, I would almost certainly take it.

Top Bottom