• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Twelve thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Hot Topic: The Ending of Out of Mind, Out of Sight

I've heard it disputed that it is actually the FBI she goes to. I assumed when I saw the episode just because of the stereotypical black suits, etc... But its never actually confirmed.

No, its not right on any level for someone that young to be used in such a way. Not like they are doing it for her own good or even societies. Its a power thing IMO.

MarieVampSlayer
MarieVampSlayer
I agree with this!
Sineya
I've heard it disputed that it is actually the FBI she goes to. I assumed when I saw the episode just because of the stereotypical black suits, etc... But its never actually confirmed.

No, its not right on any level for someone that young to be used in such a way. Not like they are doing it for her own good or even societies. Its a power thing IMO.
Sort of like it's not good for someone that young to be turned out in graveyards at night prepared to stake vampires. For the Watchers' Council, it's a power thing. BTW in the episode, when agents Doyle and Manetti come to take Marcie away, agent Doyle says, "FBI! Nobody move!" so they do identify as FBI but the class lesson is on assassination and infiltration using a cult leader as an example. The screencap is quite amusing: the subject and title are what you expect but the text seems to be from a travesty generator:

It's probably better than what Maggie Walsh would've done with her. Helping her would be ideal, but that would probably only be done on some organized level if there was profit or power in it somewhere. Exploitation is the way of the world, and as the saying goes, "scum rises to the top."

As it is...at least she still had a place in society, though what would be deliciously ironic is that the more important those exploited kids become, the more likely they're to return to being visible. What then?

thetopher

Member of the Church Of Faith
Sineya
If it were 'some person' who was invisible, then possibly.
But Marcie was a thundering looney- hardly the best material for a stable government employee, I mean long-term.

Sort of like it's not good for someone that young to be turned out in graveyards at night prepared to stake vampires. For the Watchers' Council, it's a power thing. BTW in the episode, when agents Doyle and Manetti come to take Marcie away, agent Doyle says, "FBI! Nobody move!" so they do identify as FBI but the class lesson is on assassination and infiltration using a cult leader as an example. The screencap is quite amusing: the subject and title are what you expect but the text seems to be from a travesty generator:

I agree with the link you make to the Slayer training. But then Buffy and Giles turned that into something more positive.

I have an answer to them announcing themselves as "The FBI" which is that it was a cover to excuse them being there. What if they were some sort of unofficial group? Such a thing wouldn't actually fall under the FBI's umbrella. At least not in this show;)

Fool for Buffy

I'm just being a big nerd again
Sineya
I don't like the ending at all because it does seem like Marcie is being put into some training/ exploitation program and I'd much rather her go to some special secret prison. Even if she was under government control, I'd like to see her being punished for trying to kill people. As terrible as it is that everyone ignored her, that is no excuse for assaulting a guy with a baseball bat and suffocating a teacher.

white avenger

white avenger
But Marcie was a thundering looney- hardly the best material for a stable government employee, I mean long-term.
Key point, here, probably being "long term." Assuming that the government agency, whatever it actually is, and even IF it is a legitimate government agency, and not some privately funded group using fake ID's (the world of fiction abounds with those, from the Men In Black, to S H I E L D, to UNCLE, and even further back) why wouldn't they look at their agents as expendable assets, use as required, then discard, the same as the Watchers see the Slayers. From what we saw in the final scene, she wasn't the only one of her type, so they could afford to waste a few, as the mission requires.

As for the potential mental instability, why would that matter for what would be most likely a "use once and discard" agent? She had probably the same chance of drawing any kind of retirement benefits as Buffy.

Top Bottom