• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.
  • Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:
    1. You really should register so you can chat with us!
    2. Twelve thousand people can't be wrong.
    3. Buffy-Boards loves you.
    4. See 1 through 3.
    Come on, register already!

Hot Topic: The Hackers in I Robot, You Jane

Think I would have to re-watch the episode (a bit like jabbing needles in my arms:p) to say for sure. Part of it can be put down to them just being aimless, and neive youngsters. But I think their actions are so misguided and comes from a vicious place (in one example at least) that they should bare the blunt.

Black Thorn
It depends on if you consider Van Houten, Watson, et al responsible for their actions. I see little difference between the two other than one is a robot.

thetopher

Member of the Church Of Faith
Sineya
I go the impression that they were 'influenced' over a longer period of time than someone like Willow was; like a week or two. I mean, I don't think those scientists were building robo-Malcolm for lols or whatever; he had 'demonic influence' over them.
So...less than culpable I think; somewhere between the parents in S3 'Gingerbread' and the 50's hate-mob in 'AYNOHYEB' over on Angel S2.

sk

The Overlooked One
Sineya
I've never consider them responsible.
Not more so than any other possessed character anyway.

If I'm not mistaken so was he called Moloch, the corrupter and had the power of mesmerizing.
So I've always taken it as he kinda hypnotized people to do his bidding.

Can imagine some people being more easily corrupt than others though.
Fritz probably didn't put up much resistance. lol

/SK

thetopher

Sineya
But was that actually shown? I just figured they were your standard cult followers. At least from my remembrance of the episode.
It's a grey area I think; isn't Moloch known as the 'corrupter or something? Like, at the start with the medieval cult and those adoring fan-boy monks before he gets locked in the book.
I think Corrupter certainly implies that its his 'thing', his talent; he influences and corrupts people to do certain things. Maybe like that thrall demon in Angel S2 that looked like a giant booger until Gunn cut it in half; that kind of thing.

Spanky
Spanky
Interesting. I never once thought demonic influence.

thetopher

Sineya
But I don't think they were necessarily under his thrawl. Do you think Willow was as well? I just saw him as more of a cult leader.
I don't think Willow was controlled, more like seduced. Maybe that's how it starts; flattery and empathy leads slowly to the person becoming a lackey or slave; abandoning their own morals and morality for Molochs'.
Remember that Willow skipped class- and as Tara stated Willow wouldn't skip class unless she were on fire; she loved academia and learning; so I think her cutting class was the first sign that things weren't right.
But then again I don't know about 'internet Moloch' and his power; medieval version? I got the mind control vibe coming through strong as he snaps necks and his followers are all happy and drone-like- but I don't 100% know if he had that power in cyber form; or if it were simply weaker or whatever.

I mean, if he could control anyone like that then why the big robot body? I like a lot about the episode (its actually very funny) but the writing could've been sharper (which is kinda a huge understatement really).