• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:

1. You really should register so you can chat with us!

2. Fourteen thousand people can't be wrong.

3. Buffy-Boards loves you.

4. See 1 through 3.

Come on, register already!

Hot Topic: What if Spike had not been paralyzed in Season 2?

margybee

Townie
I think, like many others here, that the wheelchair allowed Angelus to take full control of the situation. He had the power, which the plot needed him to have. But I also think Spike's reveal at the end that he could actually walk was fantastic, and it surprised us and Angelus both. Even just for that scene, I'm glad he was in that wheelchair.

nightshade

Your grandfather is a cat
Staff member
Black Thorn
I still think Spike without wheelchair would have worked, but you would have needed to change the story a bit, I'm sure Angelus would have still been with Dru as much as possible, we could have a bigger triangle there, Spike could have still gone to Buffy once Angelus decided on ending the world, however Spike could have been more involved, he could have had a few more fight scenes, in the wheelchair he was an underused character.

VisionGuy

Oh Plerr
I think that if Spike had not been paralyzed, Angelus would have killed him. In a wheelchair, Spike was not as big a threat so was it was easy for Angelus to slip into the leadership role without being challenged and have Drusilla just go with the flow.

DeadlyDuo

Scooby
I think that if Spike had not been paralyzed, Angelus would have killed him. In a wheelchair, Spike was not as big a threat so was it was easy for Angelus to slip into the leadership role without being challenged and have Drusilla just go with the flow.

I'm not sure. The original plan was for Spike to be killed off, so paralyzing him kind of kept him around without him being an active threat to Buffy. However, I think Angelus would've taken great pleasure in beating Spike down if he wasn't paralysed, just to prove he was "better". Dru was sleeping with both of them anyway and seemed to show a preference for Spike so would Spike have felt as threatened by Angelus in regards to Dru if he wasn't wheelchair bound.

Cheese Slices

A Bidet of Evil
Interesting question...I tend to think he would've gotten himself into a lot more trouble and might have ended up as big pile of dust as a result. Angel would still have messed with him and bullied him and, without being fully incapacitated, he might not have had the self-control, resulting in a big fight in which I'm afraid both Angel and Dru would be against him.
He may have hated it, but the wheelchair actually taught him some kind of patience, and allowed him to bide his time till he got his revenge through his alliance with Buffy.
I do think he could have gone the same road without it, but it would've stretched credibility a little bit.

Spanky

Scooby
Black Thorn
If Spike hadn't have been paralyzed in S2 then he never would have become the hero he was destined to be. Dont think Buffy would have lived as long as she did without Spike in the picture.

SES SA

Potential
I think it was better the way it was. Buffy surviving against a combination of Angelus/Spike/Drusilla would require a lot of creativity or running away without any more help (maybe they could bring back Kendra, but she was no Faith).

I was going to say that I don't think Angelus kills him but without Darla he probably does. Darla would draw a good portion of Angelus' focus onto herself. Without her there all he has is sex with his magnum opus and tormenting Spike for hobbies. Spike, not being a fan of either after 90+ years of being top dog, makes his move and ends up dead.

J

joseph

If Spike hadn't have been paralyzed in S2 then he never would have become the hero he was destined to be. Dont think Buffy would have lived as long as she did without Spike in the picture.
I tend to agree with this post.

AnthonyCordova

modulating between criticism and reconstruction
Sineya
I think it was better the way it was. Buffy surviving against a combination of Angelus/Spike/Drusilla would require a lot of creativity or running away without any more help (maybe they could bring back Kendra, but she was no Faith).

I think this is a good point.

W

WillowFromBuffy

But we're talking apples to oranges. There is a difference between Angel and Angelus. In his (Spike's) mind it is Spike > Angel but Spike < Angelus
No, in Spike's mind Angel = Angelus. Spike shows no understanding of how the soul works until he gets one himself, and even in Destiny, Spike still sees Angel as a continuation of Angelus, a bully who always keeps getting in the way of what Spike wants. Angel is the alpha vampire, but in the mineshaft scene, you see Spike working up the courage to challenge him, and Angel is starting to feel threatened, which earns Spike points with Drusilla. Spike's come-at-me-bro face in China clearly communicates that Spike believes he could beat Angel at that point, and Spike has no idea that Angel has a soul. In Innocence, Angel says he was going through a face, and in Lover's Walk that still appears to be the explanation Spike believes.

Watching School Hard, particularly in hindsight, Spike feels like an ageing rockstar who comes to show the younglings that he is still relevant. He is not quite the horror he was when he killed the slayers, but he is still a brutal fighter who pulls wooden beams out of walls :p

And in Into the Dark, Spike hires help to take down Angel, which shows that he is no longer very confident in himself.

Ayko

Buffyverse Ambassador
It happened at the end of What's My Line Part 2. An organ crashed on him. Drusilla was recovered enough to then save Spike, carrying him out. The next time we see Spike he's in a wheelchair. He'd recover on his own months later.
Yes that is true but we have seen vamps of the Buffyverse including Spike take a lot more abuse than an organ crashing down on them, plus they heal fast.o_O

Also, I was still confused at that point at what had kept Drusilla so weak in mind and spirit that was the apparent result of a mobbing by the townsfolk of Prague?¿?o_O

TriBel

Scooby
Yes that is true but we have seen vamps of the Buffyverse including Spike take a lot more abuse than an organ crashing down on them, plus they heal fast.o_O

Also, I was still confused at that point at what had kept Drusilla so weak in mind and spirit that was the apparent result of a mobbing by the townsfolk of Prague?¿?o_O

In reference to the last, try this: The Problem with Vampires

Ayko
Ayko
Cool & interesting...thx :)

Spanky

Scooby
Black Thorn
Spike was not injured due to the organ falling on him. The organ was merely symbolic of the crushing weight of patriarchy and William's place within it. After the patriarchy's representation of the male toxicity (an organ... hello?) defeated him, Spike was reborn by/within the matriarchy and was a better person/vampire as a result. At least until Angelus' arrival rewoken the war of the genitals that was being waged subconsciously within Spike.

Ayko
Ayko
I don't think so, but an amusing stab

thetopher

Member of the Church Of Faith
Sineya
... that puts him in a wheelchair but doesn't?! I don't know, seems silly to me.

It's canon that vampires take longer to heal from fire-damage. Darla and Drusilla were set on fire and took ages for them both to recover (comparatively speaking to vampires shrugging off other damage such as bullets and falling off of buildings).
So Spike gets crushed and burned enough for his body to only be slowly able to heal itself. In fact isn't his face a bit messed up/burned in 'Surprise?', that would explain it.

Top Bottom