• Thank you for visiting Buffy-Boards. You obviously have exceptional taste. We just want you to know that:

1. You really should register so you can chat with us!

2. Fourteen thousand people can't be wrong.

3. Buffy-Boards loves you.

4. See 1 through 3.

Come on, register already!

How a possible Firefly Revival could go down

TheMaster666

Potential
Apparently there are rumors--though little more--of a Firefly reboot happening at Disney+, naturally the big Mouse wants nothing to do with Joss Whedon post-scandal.

So, as you might expect, this, if it happened, would be yet another old IP resurrected for sake of brand name with no soul. That's what happens in 99% of these cases.

But, how I would do it, would be one of two ways:

1) Bring it back with the original cast in animated or audiodrama form.

Why?

Too much time has passed, a whopping 20 years since its season aired. Sorry, Inara, but I just don't think business in the companion industry will be booming after a certain biological clock ticks, if you know what I mean. But really, all the actors are clearly too old to really still be playing the parts designed for people in their 20s and 30s. And the preacher would be in his 70s or 80s. You'd also have to explain away from the writers' point of view what these characters have been doing with their lives all this time, and it just doesn't seem likely that all of them would still be doing the same thing even 10, let alone 20 years later. It would seem very contrived and you'd lack a compelling reason for the gang to even be a gang.

Furthermore, there is the feasibility factor. All the original cast members moved on a long time ago and are all tied up with obligations to their current duties, so it would either be impossible or at best impractical to get them to work out some kind of common schedule to shoot things.

However, through the magic of voice acting, you can get around these problems. If the characters are animated, they can retain their youth and the show can pick up where it left off. It's also a lot easier to get the cast to lend their talent when they can be a recording studio anywhere in the world and still play the parts. It would be much easier to collaborate to make the project happen.

With modern CGI being as good as it is, you could even have some pretty great looking CGI-rendered versions of characters to retain that sense of live-action spectacle, although given the show's cult appeal, I think a regular 2D animation is more likely. In either case, it's the story that matters the most so I doubt fans would be picky with 2D animation.

Finally, this is also the safest option from a corporate investor mindset, since you don't need a budget for costumes and sets and special effects.

2) Reboot it with a completely new show in the same universe that is a sequel/spinoff, sort of like Firefly: The Next Generation.

I seem to be following the history of Star Trek in both these options, but, hey it's for a good reason!

For the same reasons outlined above, a true revival is somewhat out of the question. Even in the unlikely event it were possible, it still wouldn't be a great idea just because of how much time has passed.

So, logically, if you were going to bring it back, you would have to have some fresh blood to fall into the right age demographic. However, they absolutely should not recast the roles, and I imagine many if not most fans would agree with me here. These characters are their actors. I couldn't picture them as anybody else, and if they did recast the characters, inevitably comparisons would be made to the originals and people would be biased against the new cast before they even had a chance, dooming the new show from the start.

Instead, it would be a lot better to focus on a similar Firefly-class (or another class, the exact ship model is arbitrary) ship with a similar band of well-meaning, lovable, semi-ethical rogues on the run from Alliance and doing odd jobs. Or perhaps they could flip the script, and set it from the point of view of an Alliance cruiser tracking down the Firefly and ships like it. Perhaps it takes place 20 years in the future, leaving open the option to have original cast members cameo in from time to time, or not. Really doesn't matter since cameos are empty nostalgia anyway that don't add anything meaningful.

Point is, you do it like Star Trek: The Next Generation did it. Similar analogues to characters in the original series, but not exact clones; rather add some originality to it so it feels like its own show with its own identity, but clearly having a lot in common with its predecessor and taking place within the same universe.

That really is one of the tragedies of the loss of Firefly to me is that Joss had created such a unique show melding sci-fi with the western genre, and it all takes place in such an interesting universe with so much depth, so many questions burning to be answered, and all that limitless potential won't get explored. If they do revive the show, it's less important to have exactly the same characters as last time, but more important to have a similar overall style and really dive into all the potential Whedon's world would have offered.

November

There are three flowers in a vase...
Sineya
Have you seen the movie yet?

Option one would have to change the original story, also some of the actors are dead now. I think there are firefly comics too?

Option two could be fun, they did set up such a rich world. I love anything sci fi though so I'd even watch a rip off at this stage.

TheMaster666

Potential

Option one would have to change the original story, also some of the actors are dead now. I think there are firefly comics too?

Option two could be fun, they did set up such a rich world. I love anything sci fi though so I'd even watch a rip off at this stage.
No I haven't seen the movie yet or the final episode (13).

I'd love to read the comics. Apparently there was a video game in development a few years back that died due to lack of investor funding.

Someone should make a rip-off, like The Orville ripped off Star Trek, but in a good way.

But that would be ironic, since the whole reason Firefly seemed amazing in the first place was because it was actually original sci-fi. So many tv shows are Star Trek clones or X-Files clones, but here's a western in space, done like nothing else before. To rip it off would necessarily lose a bit of that uniqueness and originality. Oh well I still have a huge appetite now for this sci-fi/western genre. What do you do to fill the void?

November

There are three flowers in a vase...
Sineya
Ooh I cant wait to see your reaction to Serenity! I loved it but I know some fans didnt. It did wrap up the story well, in my opinion.

I have the board game which is fun with the whole world set out and jobs to do. A spin off that wouldn't be too hard for writers to pick up (I havent read the comics either).

Have you seen killjoys? Not as good, but still a ride in the sky.

AlphaFoxtrot

Scooby
I think the time to revive Firefly has long since passed. The show was brilliant, but without the actors or the writers, what would it be? It also seems fairly depressing that the characters are still doing this twenty years later. The idea of an elderly Mal lecturing Simon to not let the forty year old River out of the ship while they land to get supplies just seems depressing.

thrasherpix

Scooby
Darth Disney has done enough damage. At this point I literally trust Netflix more, be it a reboot or original story.

Black Thorn
If done well it would be great. I wouldn't like an animated version a reboot in the same universe with an excellent director.

Ethan Reigns

Scooby
Sineya
One reason a Firefly revival / reboot / reimagining could work is not many people saw the original version, so it would seem new to a lot of people.

Plasma

The Second Sister
Staff member
Black Thorn
It sucks to say, but right now is absolutely the worst time to reboot Firefly, and I say that because the space western vacuum is being occupied by The Mandalorian. Even the spin off show with Boba Fett was a critical flop, and he’s one of the most popular characters in the franchise!

Give it a few years so that Mando hype can blow over. Then do Firefly to fill the vacuum. It can absolutely be done, but to do so now would oversaturate the sub genre and lead to poor returns.

Plus, Joss’s name has such poor connotations attached to it currently. From a purely business and not personally ethical or moral standpoint, you would have to give it awhile to avoid the show sinking due to the bad stigma his actions have led to.

Kendar

Potential

Of the cast
only one actor is dead (Ron Glass). Two characters are dead (Book and Wash).
What I had read last week was that it would be a reboot with new actors and without Joss.
That's what is talked about the most. However, let's not get too excited too soon. A Disney exec made an offhand comment in late 2020 that everyone took as a done deal. Disney itself has not said ANYTHING to indicate that this is in the works, and as of the end of 2022 has not mentioned it in their planned list of shows. I suspect it's more a "Hmm, this might be interesting" idea that one person said that is being talked about.

I'd like to see a reboot or continuation if it is done right, but at this point I'm not holding my breath.

Last edited:
November
November
The poster hadnt seen the movie yet so I was avoiding spoilers for them ;)
Top Bottom